Kq9.org

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#26 Post by Vipt » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:48 am

Sorry for what? Lying?

In that case, since you've admitted it, most of us are willing to forgive you. Others around here have lied about worse things, and we've been willing to forgive them. But they for the most part weren't man enough (or "lady" enough, perhaps?) to admit it, so we cast them into limbo to spend an eternity. :evil You've already admitted to it (I think), so you're on the right track.

Just don't lie anymore (if that's indeed what you did), and you'll have no need to fear a similar demise. ;)

PS: Don't feel like you have to prove anything to us. There's no sense in going through life fearing what everyone else thinks of you.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#27 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:55 am

I don't think he actually admitted it. I was just saying what THEY told me when I went over to ask. If The Hero IS a traitor, then I shall put a VERY nasty spell on him!

Yonkey
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Yonkey » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 am

We just went through the chat log and it was actually a fan that said that comment, not The_Hero or anyone from our team. Just so you know for next time, The_Hero, the team members are the moderators (the people that have an @ beside their name).

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Vipt » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:22 am

Okay. Simple misunderstanding on his part, I guess.

As for his comment on us being "mean" here at the AGDI forums, I think he just doesn't understand what is expected here. These forums are held to a much higher standard than many of the spam-infested, sub-par forums elsewhere on the Net. We're sort of an elite forum community (not L337, mind you), if you take my meaning. That is, if you post here we expect your writing to be legible and your comments to be informative, entertaining, or inquisitive (asking a question), and to have some relevance to the stated or apparent interests of others in the forum community. That is all.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#30 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:26 am

But they told me it was The Hero in the chat!

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Vipt » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:32 am

Wait, what are you talking about Boogeyman, and to whom? I'm not sure what you are getting at....

Please explain!

koko992001
Peasant Status

#32 Post by koko992001 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:37 am

I'd add my two cents...but as to how I'm in the chat would take too long to explain (and extremely interesting thanks to a friend)...I'm worried something might get jumbled. But what I believe is that it wasn't known as to who specifically said what was quoted until after Boogeyman left...

Yonkey
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by Yonkey » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:38 am

I agree with you Vipt, we also have places in our forums for random/useless chatter and others for relevant topics. We don't tolerate spam or certain topics that could be classified as controversial.

Anyway, I think The_Hero was just trying to be helpful, but I did speak with him about not making any more public announcements without permission first.

At first we did think The_Hero made up that quote, since no one in our team had made the comment. Then when we looked through the logs, we found out that it was someone else completely.

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by Vipt » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:38 am

Yes, I think everything is understood now. Thanks Yonkey.

BTW, in my comment about the standards of the AGDI forums, when I suggested that most other forums on the Net lack the professionalism exhibited here, I was in no way making reference to the KQ9.org forums. Just making sure no offense was mistakenly inferred! :)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#35 Post by Kurdt » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:13 pm

It's not necessarily the "professionalism" that I believe the person seems to be referring to as harsh on these boards. In general, the small amount of bad press AGDI's managed to garner in their 3 or so years of existance is that, as you yourself said, they have "elitist" tendancies. There are some folk that believe that AGDI is the only group allowed to do anything with the old adventure franchises. I actually recall way back in my days on KQ9 that a well-known (to this day) member of the boards said, and I quote, "No offense, but if AGDI was making KQ9, it'd be out by now." It's talk like that, along with the whole well-publicized LucasFan debacle, that leaves folk with a bad taste in their mouths.

I'm not saying it's good or bad or it was deserved, but that's just how it's been for some people. Thus, AGDI gets bad press in some cases, but that's to be expected. I don't think anyone in the universe has ever gotten all good press. No one's infallable, and that's cool. That's it, Amen, I'm out!

Radiant
Knight Status

#36 Post by Radiant » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:25 am

Well, Kurdt, you have to give AGDI some credit at least for the fact that in the jumble of attempted Sierra/Lucas remakes and/or fangames, they are just about the only ones who have actually completed anything. Other completed fangames such as SQ0 and LL2P&C, while good on their own, just aren't in the same league.
This is a tremendous effort, and frankly people who surpass a certain level of skill and effort have at least some justification to be selective, even if this is mistaken for arrogance. I'm certain there are people that are or could become equally skilled, all they have to do is prove it.

Gav
Knight Status

#37 Post by Gav » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:04 pm

Lucasfan's Maniac Mansion remake is pretty damn good, I think.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#38 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:48 pm

Yeah it was. I still haven't finished that yet. I've never played the original MM from start to finish before.

Radiant
Knight Status

#39 Post by Radiant » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:37 am

My earlier statement was more harsh than I intended. I applaud the efforts of people who have created other fangames, including but not limited to Lucasfan (of MMD) and Vonster (of SQ2.5). It's just that I personally believe KQ2+ is the best of them. But I enjoyed playing them all, and of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#40 Post by Kurdt » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:16 am

I'm not saying that anything AGDI is doing is necessarily good or bad, I'm just stating why people have bad tastes in their mouths. Regardless of the "proof in the pudding," AGDI fans who snub steadily progressing projects like KQ9 or SQ7 or QFI for not being complete yet do nothing but detract from the image if AGDI themselves. It's the way things go. Christianity mostly preaches good things, but ultra-right wing Christian groups are also responsible for inciting a lot of hate crime. Everything has a double-edged sword, and that's neither good nor bad. That's just the way things are.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#41 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:51 am

In all reality, most QFI fans ARE AGDI fans!

Hehe.

Bt

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#42 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:19 am

I'm fairly new here, but from what I've seen so far, this forum is pretty good entertainment sometimes.

One thing you have to remember is that you never know who might be reading through these threads. I just hope The Hero is learning here.

Everyone makes mistakes, I've done plenty of dumb things in my time, and I'm sure I'll make more mistakes down the road. The idea is to learn from your mistakes the first time around, and not keep making the same ones over and over again. Just use your head.

Mary Jane
Peasant Status

#43 Post by Mary Jane » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:33 am

Hey, I'm a regular at Kq9, and I love your King's Quest games, so I thought I'm come by here and see whats going on.

The Knight
King of Men

Hey.........................................................

#44 Post by The Knight » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:53 am

Hey, Mary Jane. Glad to see you here.

I'm sure Peter Parker will be around soon. :p

Mary Jane
Peasant Status

#45 Post by Mary Jane » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:34 am

We'll just have to wait and see.

koko992001
Peasant Status

#46 Post by koko992001 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:20 pm

MJ, there's a Peter Parker in your life? And why has Rhett never told Scarlet this??

Ok, that was bad. :P And an inside joke, so I think I've lost everyone.

But, yeah...I love AGDI's games. Waiting around for QfG2...

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#47 Post by Spikey » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:33 pm

Kurdt wrote:I'm not saying that anything AGDI is doing is necessarily good or bad, I'm just stating why people have bad tastes in their mouths. Regardless of the "proof in the pudding," AGDI fans who snub steadily progressing projects like KQ9 or SQ7 or QFI for not being complete yet do nothing but detract from the image if AGDI themselves. It's the way things go. Christianity mostly preaches good things, but ultra-right wing Christian groups are also responsible for inciting a lot of hate crime. Everything has a double-edged sword, and that's neither good nor bad. That's just the way things are.
Still, I'm not a fan BECAUSE they finished projects, but because they remake things I like, and if they would never have finished I would never have played them and I would never have been a fan. Reality is, that a lot of games don't get finished. I wish all fanprojects the best, especially KQ9 and IA's KQ3. I have good hope for both projects, I don't think I've ever snubbed any of those projects.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#48 Post by Kurdt » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:40 pm

Once again, I'm not naming names. I'm just stating the way things have been in the past. Just because YOU didn't slam any other fangame or you don't see anybody around here doing it currently doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Not everybody gets good press.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#49 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:30 pm

You're right Kurdt; someone on the AGS forums told me to "let AGDI handle the Sierra remakes" and basically that we suck. They did this under a cloud of anonimity, which was lame because I knew then that the person had not the cujones to face me down publically - but you know what, I don't care. Sure, I'd love for people to like our KQ3 remake, and I think they will. But, inevitably, there will be some detractors and those who would put us down. There have even been people that put down AGDI - I won't let them take away the enjoyment I've had working on re-creating a classic, because in the end, I'm the one who spent my time working on it, and remaking it, and they're usually the one who has done nothing.

Bt

Radiant
Knight Status

#50 Post by Radiant » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:48 pm

So, basically what you're saying is that disparaging comments about other fangames (and sometimes about AGDI) are being made by either n00bs, or by people hiding themselves behind anonymousness (which means they may well have personal issues - see the recent Hero/6 thread in these forums).
Personally, I wouldn't put a very high importance to those remarks, and I hope that other development teams (including but not limited to IA and AF) won't either. I sincerely wish these teams all the luck in their continuing efforts to raise the bar for homemade adventure games. For what it's worth, I do believe that the consensus has high hopes for them all.