QFG2VGA Alleys

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#26 Post by Bonehead » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:25 pm

I have to go with the new system...since I really, really dont like the old one. I hate maps, and I'm bad with directions

Skyshark
Knight Status

#27 Post by Skyshark » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:56 am

I hardly had any problems with the old map (especially if you transcribe and follow the directions the moneychanger gave you, and simply reverse the directions to get back). Once you've got your money changed (or head out into the desert to get enough money to do so), you haven't really got much to whinge about.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#28 Post by Gronagor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:27 am

I think if we had what the Coles planned, it would have been acceptable to everyone.

Note: They wanted more NPCs in the alleys and more monsters to fight.

Asmodian
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Asmodian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:29 pm

Well, I know about the directions, but I didn't know they were acurate enough to be of use. If they are then QFG2 would be the second game I know which manages to render its own copy protection useless through some other feature in the game... I figured out how to defeat the copy protection in The Castle of Doctor Brain using hint coins, but I forgot how.
Well the point is actualy that it wasnt copy protecttion, none of the quest for glory games have copy protection. Even without directions It would be fairly to stumble on the changer by just using the typical maze exploration technicues.

npc and encounters in the alleys would rock.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:08 pm

QFG4 had an obvious copy protection.

I'm not quite certain what is meant by "NPC's in the alleyways". Does that mean adding extra characters to the story or something?

Regarding random encounters, I'm not certain how much Shapeir would support that. The fact that most people will simply use the map to move around the place would mean people would possibly have only 1 or 2 encounters in the entire game.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#31 Post by Gronagor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:05 pm

Remember the map of QfG3. ;)

That's what the Coles said...

Asmodian
Peasant Status

#32 Post by Asmodian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:29 pm

QFG4 had an obvious copy protection.

You are right forgot about that heh.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#33 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:19 pm

Remember the map of QfG3.

That's what the Coles said...
I know the Coles' opinion about this. However, I also believe they may underestimate the amount of people who dislike random encounters on a map. Most people who played console RPG's like Final Fantasy would probably drag us to the nearest tree and hang us from it if we'd incorporate such encounters in QFG2. :p

Asmodian
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Asmodian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:35 pm

well its not much diffrent from encounters in the desert so i dont realy see why some 1 would be unhappy bout encounters in city but k bout the same in the desert. Just adds a bit of variety.

Also in rpgs I am an advocate of no random encounters I think Betrayal at Krondor did it perfectly.

Relight
Archival Expert

#35 Post by Relight » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:02 pm

Yeah, Betrayal at Krondor was awesome. Nothing is ever going to capture the same spirit of that game for me.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#36 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:20 pm

well its not much diffrent from encounters in the desert so i dont realy see why some 1 would be unhappy bout encounters in city but k bout the same in the desert. Just adds a bit of variety.
The difference is that one can avoid the desert for the most part unless you're looking for fights. That's probably not the case if you just went through a training session with Uhura and you're on your way to the inn to rest.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:41 pm

Yes, I don't believe Shapier would support many random battles at ALL in the city. I mean, thieves are scared of that place. BUT, maybe in certain sections, like there could be a "seedy" section of town.

But Rasier, that's a different matter altogether.

Bt

Thepal
Knight Status

#38 Post by Thepal » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:13 am

Firstly: I hated the random QfG3 battles. Probably because they were so damn easy and just slowed you down when you wanted to get somewhere.

Secondly: I'm really the only one that liked the QfG2 alleys, aren't I? :P

Relight
Archival Expert

#39 Post by Relight » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:14 am

Nah, I never really minded the QFG2 alleys all that much. Sure, they were frustrating at first, but they are kind of cool and atmospheric. But, the alleys in QFG2VGA are going to knock your socks off, it's going to be so much better.

And, I hated the random QFG3 battles too. But, I wouldn't mind the occasional random battle in a "seedy" area of Shapeir, or in Raseir. Just as long as they don't come very often, just every once in a while. Really, anything to make the streets feel more alive would be cool.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#40 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:41 am

Relight wrote:Really, anything to make the streets feel more alive would be cool.
I always imagined more open areas, not just an enclosed conclave looking thing. It makes it seem like the city is all closed, EXCEPT for the marketplaces.... I always thought more citizens doing stuff, selling stuff (not that you could really buy anything really useful, but maybe people selling rations, or Katta's performing magic acts, or other various citizens congreating). I'd like to see areas you walk though, where you're in the alleys BETWEEN buildings that rise to the sky, and decorations on the wall.

Bt

mikhail
Peasant Status

qfg2

#41 Post by mikhail » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:15 am

you COULD buy things, like pots and baskets to do nothing with, and flowers and rations (can use those).. waterskins.. but yeah the "alleys" or streets do seem more like tunnles, its all dark and closed off, no sky.. I like it in a way but at first it was killer.

if you are just starting and dont have a map, just run out into the desert and kill a brigand, get at least 50 centimes and bargain for a map with Ali. That way you dont have to run around the city lost. I admit I didnt think of this obvious idea myself, saw it over at another forum at QFMG. :rollin

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by arganite » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:37 am

im really looking forward to seeing the alleys of shapier and rasier. They always really confused me till i got the map (had to do the brigand thing, but i thought it up by myself) and looked on the net for a completed map (dont think qfg2 was buyable so i got off the net :hat )

Ive been meaning to make another character for qfg2, but i dont think i need to.

Will qfg2 have the importing system?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#43 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:53 pm

Yep, you can import characters.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#44 Post by Keenermart » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:22 pm

A problem I had with the original alleys is that the lighting never changed... They were supposedly open-air alleys, right? I just always wondered why the alleys always looked the same whether it was day or night. I also always thought it would be neat for when it gets night, to be really dark... and the torches along the walls providing the only light. Well, except maybe at midnight... since the moon would be high, a little moonlight could come down into the alleys..

You guys gonna fix that one? :D

Skyshark
Knight Status

#45 Post by Skyshark » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:16 pm

Wouldn't mind the additional lighting effects for the alleyways, myself. But I guess it'll depend on if AGDI have already implemented them or have the time and inclination to do so.

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#46 Post by arganite » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:46 am

sweet hope i still have my thief who i got all stats to 100, all magic spells to 100 and lots of silver saved. (did all that propally)

I havent played qfg4 since i got bugged in too two different areas. Whats the copyright protection in it?

Gav
Knight Status

#47 Post by Gav » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:59 pm

Whats the copyright protection in it?
I was wondering that too, since I finished it without any need for a manual (as far as I can recall). Unless it's just that it comes on cd.

Regarding the QFG2 alleys - I never had much trouble with them.  I found that money changer just by trial and error in a few minutes, then found my way back to the map seller the same way.  I am excited by the idea of a whole new alley system though.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#48 Post by Keenermart » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:36 am

The copy protection was in Dr. Whatever-his-name-Was's lab... to get healing and poison cure potions, you had to give him formulas that were in the manual.  (Fire-Earth-Pizza-Fire-Water... etc.)  Otherwise, you wouldn't get any potions from him.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

QFG Geek

#49 Post by Brainiac » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:42 am

Keenermart wrote:The copy protection was in Dr. Whatever-his-name-Was's lab...
His name was Dr. Cranium, the distant ancestor of Dr. Thaddeus Brain.  No true fan of the Coles' work should be without such knowledge! :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#50 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:00 am

The game could be completed without poison cure potions and healing potions. It was the rehydration solution that was needed to beat the game.