Music

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

Music

#1 Post by VampD3 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:29 pm

Just wondering what everyones fave music is? I know we have probably had threads like this before but I think there interesting. Youve got to say why aswell,

I love many 80's music as you can sing along to them more than music these days.

I also love Linkan Park esp their song Numb. All there songs have meaning in them and you can relate to them alot.

I like Maroon5 now aswell as he's got such a unique voice.

Anyway your fave music/band and why and if you can relate to their songs or if its helped you get through things.  :)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:34 pm

I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd, as I've stated many times previous.  My favorite album is 1977's "ANIMALS", and I consider this the seminal Floyd Album as opposed to the more commercially/popularily successful albums "The Wall" or "Dark Side Of The Moon".  Not that those two albums suck!  They do, in fact, rock.  I just love Animals.  The songs are so nasty, and David Gilmour's guitar playing was never better.  This album influnced my guitar playing greatly.

I'm also a big fan of The Allman Brothers Band.  As a live band in the early 1970's, they couldn't be beat.  The live version of "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" from Live at The Fillmore East is amazing.  Duane Allman and Dicky Betts were never better as they dueled lead guitars on this energetic and sinewy track.  This album captured the Allmans at their best, before Duane's untimely death after recording the album "Eat a Peach" in 1971.

I've also been a fan of the bands Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Electric Light Orchestra, Genesis and King Crimson.  I like 1970's progressive rock.  The fantasy lyrical content, inspired by many ancient myths and authors (Tolkien being a favorite, especiallty in the band Led Zepplin) was as scholared and varied as the lengthy instrumental and compositional elements of the music.

I'm also a fan of the work that the EAGLES did in the 1970's.  Starting with their self titled debut, featuring a laid back country/California/rock sound, and working their way to the scorching album, Hotel California, the Eagles combined great songwriting and singing (Glenn Frey and Don Henley) with the eventual dual lead guitarists(Don Felder and Joe Walsh) that brought the kismetic fire that propelled the Eagles to world wide stardom.  Not to be discounted later, bass player Timothy B. Schmidt had a later his with the psuedo-disco ballad, "I Can't Tell You Why", another track which showcased the musical diversity of the band.

I can't mention music I love with out at least saying the Led Zepplin was a phenominal influence in my youth.  Jimmy Page was a guitar hero to me, and I loved their entire catalog at one point.  I don't listen to them as much now, but they certainly had their time and place.

I was also a huge Guns 'n' Roses fan.  Rising out of the metal scene in Los Angeles, California, in the late 80's, Guns and Roses brought a new sense of melody and harmony to the dissonance of screaming guitars.  The screaming leads of guitarist Slash (Trivia fact, his real name is Saul Hudson. I'm full of useless facts) gave rise to many fingers of air guitar.  Their first album, Appetite for Destruction (1987) was only topped by their smash double album set, Use Your Illiusions (I and II) in 1991.  I'm not looking forward to the latest "Guns and Roses" album "Chinese Democracy" as I see that more as an Axl Rose solo album.  If I want to listen to 'GUNS N ROSES", I'll listen to Velvet Revolver.

I'm also a fan of Jazz music, being a fan of the later funk periods.  Such albums as the Landmark "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis, which launched a thousand careers and changed Jazz forever.  Miles followed it up with such albums as Live/Evil and On the Corner.  I'm also a fan of George Benson, who achieved pop-stardom later with the tune "On Broadway", but before that, he was a bad-ass funk cat who could boogie.  One of my personal favorites is "Grant Green".  His album "Live At Lighthouse" is incredible.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is another favorite of mine.  I could talk at length, but I'll just say that his version of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is incredible.  The song 'Lenny' is also a sweet ode to his wife.

Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton were another two big influences on me.  Clapton, while he was in Cream, wrote one of the greatest songs of all time.  Badge, co-written with the Beatles George Harrison, is one of my favorite songs of all time.  Hendrix... I could talk for hours.  Literally.  He invented bad-ass rock guitar.  Everyone today owes HIM.  That's it.

I'm also very fond of many 'cheesy' 80's songs, some including "Only The Lonley" - The Motels, "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House and "True" Spandau Ballet.

I could write and talk about music for WAY to long of a time.

I think it could suffice to say, however, that I consider most of today's music to be total crap.  It is mass produced feces that is shoved down the throat of consumers, who are TOLD they should like it through careful marketing, and clever writing.  What people fail to realize today is that most bands, Like Linkin Park, who's songs are SO MEANINGFUL, are actually written by Managers, Executives, and Hired Songwriters, who in meeting decide "WHAT THE KIDS WILL BUY" and they write based on that.  They know that tattoo's and piercings are in, and that angst is pretty high, so they write a song like "Numb", which is so entirely plebian is makes me vomit.   Linkin Park is nothing more than a heavy/metal/rapped up version of the Backstreet Boys.  Different Clothes, Different Music, same product to get the dollars they can't squeeze out of those who "hate N'Sync".

As far as modern popular music goes, there just isn't much that is written with any kind of artistic merit or heart.  This music will not last generations, or transcend any barriers; it's a potted meat product that will eventually expire and fade from the minds of people.  That is sad, but there are a few bands and individuals out there who are trying to make honest music.

Anyway, this has gone on WAY too long!

Bt

Broomie
The Enigma

#3 Post by Broomie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:54 pm

Blackthorne, you are my new God, you've just pretty much accounted for all the music I love.

*High fives BT*

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:26 pm

Bt, I think I will have to mentally prepare myself to read your post, but dont worry I like a challenge!! (I read through the whole designer journal thing over at Himalaya after all!)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:23 pm

Having decided to chuck a sickie from work today (a great Australian tradition I might add, and one I'm proud to uphold...) I can spend a little time on an adequate response to this thread. I love music and I miss my MP3 collection which XP won't admit is on my backed-up cd's. My greatest problem on threads like this is that I love so much different music, but here goes anyway.

Queen : They are my all-time favorite band. Most people know them through Bohemian Rhapsody and maybe a couple of others like Crazy Little Thing Called Love or Another One Bites the Dust. But their best music was their early albums, just a great blend of pure 70's rock / opera and storytelling which still holds up today. '39 from their album A Night at the Opera is fantastic and so different, Stormtrooper in Stilletos, Death on Two legs, March of the Black Queen, Seven Seas of Rhye, Spread your Wings, Brighton Rock, they're all just fantastic music. And then there's the greatest hit's albums which have all the party favorites like Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to Love, Save Me, I Want It All (the first single I ever bought), The Show Must Go On and Fat Bottom Girls.

Then there's the highlander soundtrack which made an average movie excellent. The showstopper Who Wants to Live Forever. Plus the other great rock A Kind of Magic, One Year of Pleasure, Gimme the Prize etc.

And the worst / best movie ever made, Flash Gordon. Absolutly awesome soundtrack, Flash itself is a great song, as is The Hero which is the final credits song. The music itself like the scene where Flash is playing football with Mings minions, or Brian May's awesome guitar work on the wedding march. Unbelievably awesome.

The great thing about Queen is that all four members were brilliant in their own right. Brian May has such a distinctive sound on his "red special" (that's his home-made guitar for those who don't know) that you know it's him the second a song starts, and he wrote nearly half their catalog so he's a lyrical master as well. Freddie Mercury is basically a true genius and has an incredible voice, with such clarity you can always understand what he's singing. Oh yeah he wrote a fair few songs too. Roger Taylor and John Deacon are usually forgotten about when talking about Queen but they were both invaluable. They gell so well together on Bass and Drums that it just adds to the orgy of sound. They both wrote some great hits too, Deacon : Another One Bites the Dust, Taylor : Radio Ga Ga.

Beatles : There's nothing I can say about the Beatles that hasn't already been said better somewhere else. "Across the Universe" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written that it always brings a tear into my eye when Lennon sings ...nothings gonna change my world.... only because I know that something did change a few years later when he was murdered. "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" are their two best albums I reakon cause they combine a great simple rock with some of the physcodellic stuff from the late 60's early 70's. "Taxman" "Tommorrow Never Knows" "Drive my Car" it's just great music. This music is timeless, they had a Beatles night on Australian Idol this year and it was so good that Beatles Music sales went through the roof the following week.

I love their solo stuff too, Lennon's "Woman" is a great love song, "Imagine" of course, McCartney's "My Love" "Jet" "Live and Let Die" are all awesome.

U2 : Huge U2 fan. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" actually has a message and in a rock song too! "Beautiful Day" is a great song and proved they can still rock. I'm looking forward to getting off my ass and downloading the new album.

David Bowie : His music introduced me to a different side of 70's music than I'd heard before. I actually got into Bowie cause I heard him on the Queen duet "Under Pressure" and thought he must be okay. I love the Ziggy Stardust stuff he did in the early 70's, it was so original and great. My favorite songs would have to be "China Girl" (huge fan of the Wedding Singer with Adam Sandler which it's in), and "Hero" which is a great song and kinda has new meaning after 9/11 for me. Oh, and "Under Pressue" which wasn't a great favorite until I heard it in "We Will Rock You" the musical where it finally made sense to me.

80's Rock : Anything Rock from the 80's I love. Guns and Roses, (November Rain, Paradise City) though Axl Rose has ruined the band now, I mean a lead guitarist called "Buckethead"??? Seriously, give up buddy. The sound of Slash on the guitar and Axl's voice were an unbeatable combination. I'm with BlackThorne though, "Velvet Revolver" is the new Guns and Roses. Actually, it's better after I heard them do "Tie Your Mother Down".

Def Leppard's harmony's just worked and were unbelievable. There two best albums were "Hysteria" and "Pyromania", both great rockers. Poison were good too but I always thought just a little bit too similar to Def Leppard. "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" is the best song they did. Alice Cooper would have to be "Poison", Warrant would be "Cherry Pie" plus any other 80's rock. It's all good.

Van Halen were the greatest of all 80's rock out of America. I'm a David Lee Roth fan but I love the Sammy Hagar stuff too. "Right Now", "Standing on Top of the World", "Dance the Night Away","Take me Back - Deja Vu" are all top shelf songs. If only they hadn't released Van Halen III. What a bump on the ass of music that album was....

I'm not hugely into pop, but an honorable mention to Savage Garden for "Affirmation" which was in my CD player for at least a year. The title song "Affirmation" has such great lyrics. "I believe the sun should never set upon an argument, I believe we place our happiness in other peoples hands, I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do" I just love that song. "Two Beds and a Coffee Machine" is my all-time favorite pop song, and it tells such a beautiful / sad story so well. "Santa Monica" on their first album is also a great song.

George Michael's "Faith" was the first pop song I can remember listening to so it's a favorite too.

Greatest Concert Ever : Live Aid 1985. I just bought this monolith on DVD and it's over 10 hours in length. Bowie, McCartney, Queen, Geldoff, Wham!, Beach Boys, Bryan Adams, U2.... It's just unbeatable for the sheer size and scope of the music.

Damn, I forgot to mention the God of Music himself, Eric Clapton. "Layla" is such a great song my brother (the other one BlackThorne if you're wondering) named his daughter Layla. "Tears in Heaven", my god, anyone who doesn't get misty eyed during that song has no heart or soul. "Badge" "Wonderful Tonight" which is my favorite Clapton song. McCartney and Clapton singing "Something" at George Harrison's funeral, Awesome.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:50 am

I'm a little embarrassed that people in my school found out that Wind Beneath my Wings makes me cry. I don't even like the song it's just the memory that triggers when I hear it.

Anyways onto my good music

The White Stripes: simply put I love Jack White he's a one man band plus some girl that never talks! but the cool thing is you're actually pumped to hear something live on a talk show or in concert because he doesn't do it perfect like on TV he just picks up his guitar and screws around with it so it's different every time! also all their music videos rock! My mom actually got sort of offended at Seven Nation Army because there's a certain "Symbolism" going on with those Diamonds in the back. The Hardest Button to Button has a wicked video that took 55 amplifiers 30 electric guitars 55 bass drums and 55 snares! all exactly the same. (yes I understand camera tricks but they really did just use a bunch of em.) also the lyrics are neat. It's about a guy who starts a family in suburbia and he notices he "has opinions that don't matter and a brain theat feels like pancake batter" and he notices the signs but can't put his finger on whats wrong. It's kind of like a midlife crisis but different.

Ok that was way to much on them next

Weird Al: Untill I was 11 years old and 11 months I couldn't hear very well at all and Weird al would always make fun of the most poular songs. I could never understand lyrics and to this day I have a hard time with it so I mostly just listen to the general tune (Turns out I like Michael Jackson who knew?) but when I got older I started looking into him alot more cause I heard he was pretty funny. OMG never watch MJ videos then a WA one right after. You will piss your pants! On top of that I saw him live last summer and he came within 2 feet of me during the concert because I was in the aisle and he ran through it almost to where I was. Afterwards I shook his hand and told him he inspired me to make fun of stuff and he smiled at this comment and said "Glad I could help ruin society a bit" the odd thing is he either has really clammy hands or he was doing "something" backstage

Michael Jackson: Perhaps one of the only artists with something to say (The beatles and "Fink Ployd" come to mind) I love MJ documentaries cause you can see how his character evolved through his music. He was a good kid in the Jackson 5 with "easy as 123, ABC" and became "Bad" and started telling people to "Beat it" he then lost that touch a bit and went on to deliver messages which can be seen in such hits as "Smooth Criminal" and then he started noticing things wrong with society and showed it to the world in the best way possible. Through the words of "Billie Jean" and recently under all this "Law pressure" he created a very heartfelt (not to mention pissed off) song about racism called They don't really care about us and blah blah blah stupid scandals blah blah more scandels 2 years later and you know just a bunch of extremely over exposed to the public crap and there you have a what has now become a 45 year old man out to make people happy being pubically made fun of for it! I mean I may slip the odd crack at someone for just absolutly nothing but I'm not as serious or offensive as these people.

And that raps it up. I should stop this post before I anger myself

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:57 am

erpy hasn't been around this particular forum for awhile either. reminds me of a song I had to sing in grade 5 (slightly modified of course)

where have all the modies gone?
long time passing
Where have all the modies gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the modies gone
Gone for wives everyone

Oh when will they ever learn?

Where have all the wives gone?
long time passing
Long time ago
the lawyers took them everyone

Where have all the lawyers gone?
long time passing
Long time ago
gone to forums everyone

Where have all the forums gone?
long time passing
Long time ago
gone to modies everyone

where have all the modies gone?
long time passing
Where have all the modies gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the modies gone
Gone for wives everyone

END

wow that got harder to write as it went as you can see but still it was...sastisfactory?

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Bonehead » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:21 pm

To me, it's all metal...well mostly metal anyway.  Lets see...

Iron Maiden- really awesome band with any of the line-ups.  While I think that Bruce Dickenson did a number of songs better than Paul Dianno, I think that Dianno kept his songs.  Ive seen Phantom of the Opera sang by both of them, and I would have to say that it is Dianno's song.  Steve Harris is, in my mind, one of the best bassists ever.  Dave Murray, really great guitarist. I would keep discussing more about this band...but there are others to talk about...
Standout songs- Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Genghis Khan, Ace's High, Purgatory, Revelations

Slayer- kick ass just about sums it up.  I am listening to Slayer right now, thinking about when I saw them live...kick ass.  And Jeff Hanneman is an awesome guitarist (so is Kerry King, but he always gets all the credit)
Standout songs- War Ensemble, Raining Blood, South of Heaven, Crionics, Angel of Death, Live Undead, Reborn

Death- great metal band... I dont know alot about them, as I just started getting into them a few weeks ago, but man they have some good music, and an interesting sound...
Standout songs- Spirit Crusher, Story to tell, Low Life, Left to die

Morbid Angel- Good death metal. Again I don't know to much about them, but they still are awesome, and the lead singer has a great growl
Standout songs- Ageless, Still am I, Summoning Redemption

Opeth- In my opinion, the best death metal band ever...though they are a progressive death metal.  Even if you dont like heavy stuff liek death metal, listen to damnation (their soft album).  Opeth mixes up their music so well.  Demon of the Fall, for example, starts heavy, then later in the song gets softer, but still kicks total ass. Awesome band.
Standout songs- Demon of the Fall, Master's Apprentice, When, black rose immortal, patterns in the Ivy, Blackwater Park

The Jimi Hendrix Experience- If you dont know why Hendrix is awesome, go kill yourself
Standout songs- Wind cries Mary, Fire, Stone Free, Foxy Lady, Purplehaze, All Along the Watchtower, Redhouse

Metallica- I have always loved Metallica...old Metallica.  Anything after Black was no good.  I miss Cliff... and if you don't then I challenge you to listen to (anesthsia) pulling teeth (and not the shitty Green Day one) and not be sad that Cliff Burton is dead.
Standout songs- Pulling teeth, motorbreath, seek&destroy, nothing else matters, one, blackened, call of ktulu, creeping death, four horsemen

Pantera- now that was some kick ass speed/thrash.  Seriously though, Dimebag Darrell Abbot is dead...that one hit me hard when I heard. Even without ever meeting him, I was still depressed.  Listen to Cemetary Gates and give the man a moment of silence...
Standout songs- Cemetary Gates, Regular People (conceit), Fucking Hostile, Revolution is my name, Suicide Note part 1, Suicide note part 2, 10's

Many others here like Megadeth, Bob Marley (cause Reggae is cool), Zepplin, The Doors, etc. etc. etc.