Darkmoor Manor Needs You!

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ProgZmax
Peasant Status

Darkmoor Manor Needs You!

#1 Post by ProgZmax » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:49 am

I am currently working on a project called Darkmoor Manor, which is based on a short story I've written called the Darkmoor Curse (this was done well before I ever heard of the Nancy Drew game). The goal is to create a professional-quality game within 2 months time using the Adventure Game Studio by Chris Jones. The team currently consists of Nataly Eliyahu, a highly competent scripter, and myself. What we are looking for is a background artist who can truly capture the dark and sinister atmosphere of Darkmoor Manor, and who will work tirelessly with me to create a memorable and immersive experience. A few images of the current gui design in action and some of the characters follow:

The current gui (operational)
The current menu (operational)
Some animations of the five characters you can use in the game

and an ambient tune for Darkmoor Manor
http://members.cox.net/veradin/Darkmoorday1a.rar

And now for the story:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The year is 1982, when computers were just beginning to boom and free enterprise had reached a new pinnacle. Father Alan Brophy, a Catholic priest, has come close to being defrocked for his controversial essay "The Supernatural Religion", in which he cites much support for the existence of ghosts and dark forces- perhaps forces that are even more dangerous than the Devil. This essay, meanwhile, has attracted the attention of a pioneer in the field of Parapsychology, Luke Bradshaw, who has been investigating strange phenomena with his team for a few years on grant money from his college. Luke is running low on resources, however, and latches on to Father Brophy's interest in the supernatural to draw him into a trip to Darkmoor Manor, a lonely estate in Wales.

The five investigators have been asked by the current tenants of the Manor to help them free it of a terrible curse, and Bradshaw and Brophy intend to use this opportunity to prove or disprove the existence of ghostly apparitions once and for all. Little do they know that they are about to hit the Unnatural Jackpot, and it may cost them all their very souls!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The completed short story will be shipped with the game and will offer more backstory on the characters and (hopefully) amplify the experience for the readers among you.

The entire adventure (minus the introduction) will take place in and around Darkmoor Manor, a sinister yet docile-looking Manor bordering a near impenetrable forest. Much of the game is played as Luke Bradshaw, though there are times you will switch to Father Brophy and the other characters, and the entire of the game is told from Brophy's perspective (making for some interesting text feedback on certain actions).

The resolution will be 320x200, which is both faster to design quality backgrounds for and quick for animation purposes. The reason is simple: We will not spend more than 2 months on this project, so it will be finished in that time. This is going to be a test of the abilities of all persons involved to turn out a quality product in as short amount of time as possible.

If you are interested in a challenge that will improve your skills and test your limits, this is for you. Email a sample (or link) of your work to Lord_Hades@uomail.com. Also let me know, in a short paragraph, a bit about you and your work ethic, and having an interest in this type of game is a plus.

Again, this will be an entire game, but it is also a test of abilities and creativity under a real time constraint. This is not a contest, and the scripter and background artist will most likely be offered further opportunities should this project pan out. Hope to see emails from you soon,

Edit: After a slow holiday start, Nataly has already turned out a technical demo with a fully-functional gui, menu, and screenshot utility as well as Father Brophy and the other characters walking around and responding to objects. If you are a competent background artist with a flair for dark and moody designwork, contact me immediately.

Shane Stevens, Project Lead

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:32 am

Please do not use our forums as a place to recruit team members.