A Tale of Two Kingdoms

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Radiant
Knight Status

A Tale of Two Kingdoms

#1 Post by Radiant » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:35 pm

Solar Crescent studios presents,

A Tale of Two Kingdoms

We have a trailer movie available for download. Also, we are holding auditions for voice actors.

Webpage & demo download

(Wow, we've been slashdotted! Okay, try this mirror)
Webpage mirror
Webpage mirror #2

Our new game, A Tale of Two Kingdoms, goes public in Christmas time with a short demo for all adventure game fans!
Explore around! We have a screenshots section, a FAQ, and of course the download link in the menu above. We do not currently have a public forum for feedback, however. We may create one in the future. We do not have an official release date yet. As with many independently created games, it will be done when it is done.

The ancient kingdom of Theylinn is beset by enemies both from within and without. Within the castle walls, nobles vie for the old King's favor, and not everybody is happy with the sole heir to the throne, princess Rhiannon.
Meanwhile, danger approaches, in the form of an invading army, a hostile giant, and a mercenary troop who are ancient enemies of the Theylann king.
And there is mystery yet. For hidden within the borders of Theylinn lies a second kingdom, named Thierna na Oge, where the faeries reign. Little is known about this shrouded, exotic realm.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms is a full-length graphical adventure with a mood of fairy tales, magic, and intrigue, and strives to be one of the best AGS games yet.

Last edited by Radiant on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Radiant,

Very nice!

Bt

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JLM5 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:33 am

Looks incredibly good - a lot like Sierra's old VGA-games!

I'm really waiting to see the game... there are not too many good-looking VGA-adventures available!

Keep up good work. :)

McFatty
Peasant Status

#4 Post by McFatty » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:02 pm

Woah!
The AGS community is growing stronger every day, let's teach all commercial companies a thing or two!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:27 pm

Sounds really interesting, I can't load up either site at present though, so you must be popular.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#6 Post by VampD3 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:31 pm

Both links dont work.

Surely you guys could've splashed out on some bandwidth??

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:30 am

Hahah! Graham looks rather sick.  :lol  IF you are making a new game at least use a new sprite. And those filter dont look so good on those Guis. And some animation clean ups would be nice. The backgrounds are very nice. Is JP and Emily still working on it? I also notice the clouds just sit there, you should try and get a little bit of movement to bring the area alive.

I give it a 5.5/10.  ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:04 am

Well, a 5.5/10 is still significantly higher than I would rate that last post in terms of general attitude. I certainly hope there's no hard feelings from the past playing a role here. But whacky conspiracy theories aside, I cannot put aside the impression you weren't really paying attention to what I said during the last chat session about dealing with people in general.  :rolleyes

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Alias » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:21 am

If they cant take criticism its their problem.  ;) And if they dont pay attention to little things like animations clean ups I dont really see this has one of the best AGS games ever. I'm just being honest here.  ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:44 am

If they cant take criticism its their problem. And if they dont pay attention to little things like animations clean ups I dont really see this has one of the best AGS games ever. I'm just being honest here.
Honest perhaps and also embarassingly inconsiderate. Criticism is okay, but a certain amount of tact is in order when criticizing something that obviously had a lot of work put into it. In general, try to avoid ridiculing other people's work, because it usually produces the same kinds of reactions as bashing it outright. When criticising something, try to make it a point to focus on how to improve something, rather than criticising just to take potshots at it. I'm fairly positive I would have been able to adress the points you made in a way that wouldn't make it look nasty.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Alias » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:54 am

LEts hope the team  wont comit suicide.  :p

Meerbat
The Winged Suricate

#12 Post by Meerbat » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:05 am

You didn't have the guts to leave on your own so now you are trying to get yourself banned, eh, Rog?
To use your standard disclaimer: ;)
Oh, and let's not forget, "I am just being honest"

JWar
Knight Status

#13 Post by JWar » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:05 am

Honestly, Rog, do you really think that is funny?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Alias » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:29 am

I dont know what your problem is.

The animations need fiixing? What do you want me to say? ''Wow! I love the animations!!!11!!1 You muzt show more ples!!!11!'' I dont think so.

And they are using the graham sprite and just changed the colours. I thought this was going to be an original title.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#15 Post by Swift » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:35 am

You didn't have to go to the other extreme. Just point out how it can be improved on. No mocking, and no destructive criticism.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#16 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:14 pm

What happened to that thread where Rog said he was leaving and why hasnt he left?

Rog stop being a moron, your giving the UK a bad name.

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by moonlit » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:26 pm

You and your partners did a great job Radiant.

The first free game I have seen that really looks like an old commercial game.

Nice graphics and animations. (Unfortunately haven't managed to download the music yet).

Can't wait to see the finished game.

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:34 pm

I killed that thread on his request after BT pointed out that leaving is possible without trying to draw lots of attention to oneself.

Note to Rog: You may also have noticed that the icon bar holds no option menu just yet. (just a quit button with the default AGS quit GUI) It may be worthwhile to harp on that too, or we could just give the team the benefit of the assumption that a lot of things are subject to change. Seeing that it's basically a new project written and started from scratch, rather than a quick overhaul job on KQ2.5 to get KQ elements out of the story, I'd definitely place this one among the more original projects in the fangame environment. Finally, as others have pointed out, between the two extremes you've mentioned, there's a big world filled with more shades of grey than you can imagine. You should strongly consider exploring it.

Note to the rest: let's work to keep the topic of this thread where it belongs...the project Radiant posted about.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#19 Post by Vildern » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:37 pm

It looks good, to my liking.

Angelus, though I don't agree, I love your wording  :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#20 Post by Radiant » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:38 pm

Wow!

We've been live for barely two days, and we've been slashdotted twice and gotten a load of positive feedback. I love you guys!
This has been a great project to work on, and we'll do our best to bring you all a very cool game in 2005.
(that deadline is in no way an official promise, but it is what we're currently aiming for)

(oh and Vamp, we did pay for bandwidth; we'll consider paying more in the future though, we just hadn't anticipated this :) )

Oh, and happy new year y'all!

Flauschepelz
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Flauschepelz » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:23 pm

The graphics are excellent, especially the portraits.
I can't comment on the music pack, because trying to download it gives me a "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" error. Maybe you could use BitTorrent to distribute it.
I didn't find any real bugs, only a typo and some missing text, but since you're not interested in bug reports ATM, I won't say any more. ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:24 pm

Rog can't make his own animations, nor does he really know anything about game-making in general.

I think the animations are great!  The scarecrow, man, I thought it was awesome! I thought the way he swayed in the breeze was great. I also think that the portraits are outstanding.  

I also love how the little window pops up when you get points - "Points Increased"

I think this is just terrific!  It's always easy to critcize when you cannot do something yourself.

I have no doubts that this will be one of the best Original Sierra-Styled AGS games.  You obviously have the support of many folks, so keep doing what you're doing!

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:11 pm

One thing I missed a bit was the feature of cursors with hotspots. I missed the branch initially because I seemed to click on the wrong spot.

I loved the feature of the animating cursors, particularly the talk and eye cursor. I really advice against making the hand swat though, because it makes it tough to aim it at something. (and most players will instinctively point at something with the fingers) Perhaps put the hotspot on the index finger and have the cursor animate from a 5-finger hand to a 1-finger hand with the index finger remaining unchanged.

I particularly liked the hallway puzzle, btw. I loved solving riddle-based puzzles in KQ2VGA.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#24 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:57 pm

Radiant wrote:Wow!

We've been live for barely two days, and we've been slashdotted twice and gotten a load of positive feedback. I love you guys!
This has been a great project to work on, and we'll do our best to bring you all a very cool game in 2005.
(that deadline is in no way an official promise, but it is what we're currently aiming for)

(oh and Vamp, we did pay for bandwidth; we'll consider paying more in the future though, we just hadn't anticipated this :) )

Oh, and happy new year y'all!
BTW Radiant it was me that posted about the bandwidth as Deb was logged in. I havnt tried your demo yet as I'm waiting to try and download the music pack aswell before I play. But looking from those screenshots I cant wait!!  :D

EDIT: Can anyone email me the music pack I cant download it.  :)

SmoKey
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by SmoKey » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:59 am

Wow, very nice DEMO! The animations, and backgrounds are superb! I can't wait till the finished product arrives, when its all polished up nicely, cause I enjoyed the DEMO immensly!

WTG ON YOUR DEMO! :D