Translate KQVGA 1 & 2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Magorn
Peasant Status

Translate KQVGA 1 & 2

#1 Post by Magorn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:49 pm

Hello, I am French and I want to translate KQVGA 1 & 2. I know that KQVGA 2 is very big but I want to try. So, if anybody can send the text to me...

Magorn
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Magorn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:52 pm

I have forgotten  :D  my email is:
FlorianCouvidat@aol.com

Relight
Archival Expert

#3 Post by Relight » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:17 am

Hello, welcome here! Sorry to disappoint you, but this is what it says on our website:
Games FAQ wrote:I wish to make a translation file in another language for one of your games.
We are no longer supporting the creation of new translation files for KQ1VGA. KQ2VGA does not support translations, and QFG2VGA will also not support translations when it is released.
KQ1 Page wrote:There will be no future translation packs released for KQ1VGA.
KQ2 Page wrote:KQ2VGA does not support translation packs.

There will be no future translation packs released for KQ2VGA.

Magorn
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Magorn » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:28 pm

:cry
I love King's Quest and can you make an exception.
I really want to translate and I don't understand why you don't let some other people translate this games in their language.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm

It's a lot of work for the AGD's when they really want to be working on their new projects.

SmoKey
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by SmoKey » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:46 am

I think this person is saying that they want to do the translation, not AGDI do it for them???

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:16 am

It will still require a lot of work for the AGD's to prepare the games for translation.
I don't know if it really is that much in the case of KQ1 (probably not much more than a recompile - but getting everything ready for redistribution could be an extensive process), but I've no doubt that it's quite a lot for KQ2+.

Besides, they had bad experiences when they asked for people to translate KQ1 (people just quit translating without notice or ran late), so I don't blame them.

If the game could expand itself dynamically after support had been added, I imagine it'd be a completely different matter, as you only had to distribute the language file itself to update that part - users could then download updated/additional languages as they became available. But not knowing much about AGS, it could be quite tedious to do so. Maybe even impossible.

In the end, of course, it's really up to themselves. If they don't want the hassle of adding translation support and/or run the risk of getting bad translations (they can't run a spell/grammar check if they don't know the language), it's their choice, and I have absolutely no problem with it (especially considering the quality of many Danish translations).

Relight
Archival Expert

#8 Post by Relight » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:46 am

I will re-state a few things that Erpy has gone over in the past, I trust I am representing this accurately.

The main reason there never was and never will be translations for KQ2VGA is because some sequences were timed cutscene sequences, in which the music matched the speed of the dialogue and the user could not control the speed that the dialogue went past. You can imagine how much of a pain that was to do, never mind trying to accomplish that task with other languages, where there might be many more or many less words than the sentence length in English. The second main reason for KQ2VGA not having any translations is that because of all the additions that Wookie made to the story, characters and dialogue, there is a lot of word play and there is huge potential for the meaning to be lost when it is translated to another language.

And about KQ1VGA - it could be as simple as adding another file for users to download, but you can understand that there is still a process we'd have to undergo to ensure the file works throughout the whole game, if we are going to endorse it in any way. Plus we can run into the situation where someone assures us the translation is good, but then along comes someone else who tells us the translation is filled with errors. KQ1VGA was released over 3 years ago and we just don't want to fiddle with it anymore. It's cool that there is still such interest in the game, but I'm sure that today most internet-saavy people who speak French also speak English.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. The answer is still no and we're not making exceptions. I'm sure this won't ruin your life. Seriously, thank you again for your interest. We appreciate your support.

Magorn
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Magorn » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:29 pm

Thank you for these answers.
but I'm sure that today most internet-saavy people who speak French also speak English.
However, in France, there is 1 (only 1) interesting adventure fangame and I think it is bad for the genre.
And in fact the king's quests are unknown.
That's why I really want to translate these games.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:09 am

How about creating a new original game!? Write a new plot instead of doing endless hours of translations.