Christmas Present from the Heroine's Quest Team

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#26 Post by Corby » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:53 pm

Thanks McFatty!  :)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#27 Post by Fribbi » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:40 pm

Thanks I did not know the last one is in the blue monster.  [spoiler] I have only feed him with the meat. am I suppose to kill him then. Just how can I get the gem out of the monster? [/spoiler]

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Corby » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:44 pm

[spoiler]It's not in the monster, try his cave out :)[/spoiler]

Dilly McPickles
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Dilly McPickles » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:20 pm

I found some little errors in the game as well.  One is the screen with the large boulder to exit the land of Oberon, I was able to enter it from the left and I appeared above all the baselines, so I was able to walk on the rockface and not on the grass.  One major bug is when I took off my clothes to go swimming and put them back on, I had a bunch of new items.

Here's a little extra about the gems:
[spoiler]I found the last gem sitting on the ground, north of the fire screen.  This was after I put out the fire and pretty much got the rest of the gems.  For some reason they dissappear when you put them into the monolith but this is just a graphics problem.[/spoiler]

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#30 Post by JLM5 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:14 pm

Now I'm stuck in the game. Can anyone tell me where can I find light that I can go to the Darkmist woods? I have already found an amulet.

I have also found more (small) bugs in the game:

1. In the castle gate screen you can walk through one bush (on the left).
2. If you use float spell when you are standing in the river, there is a graphical bug.
3. If you type "look shelf" in the antique shop, you get the same message as in the general store (which says "The rope catches your attention").

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#31 Post by Fribbi » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:27 pm

I have finish the game. :D

I ran into some bug too.  :(

[spoiler]And yes thanks for helping me with that gem problem Corby. I did not see that den where that blue monster was until I finally found it in that big pile of rock.[/spoiler]

In the room where you can take the mint plant I can walk through on of the white tree.

I could also walk through the wall where the locked chest are.

So will there be another game made after that one?

I give this game 75%

If you could fix that sound problem I had the game would be better and also if you fix those errors I found.

Overall this game is not bad after all.  I think all Sierra fan will love this game and play this game again and again like they always do when they have nothing else to do.

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#32 Post by Corby » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:15 pm

For JLM:
[spoiler]
To get into darkmist, you must have the amulet, jar from your home, the apples, and you must drink from the magic fountain in town. The fountain as it is, is not "activated" until you toss a coin into it. Not just any old coin though.
Once you drink from the fountain, you'll have something new to help you get the light for darkmist. You'll eventually see what I mean.
[/spoiler]

Thanks for the bug report, I'll be making a bug free version very shortly. :)

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by JLM5 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:05 am

Thanks, Corby. The problem was I hadn't found money to buy apples - until I realized to type "open drawer".

Here are more bugs:

1. If you haven't found all the gems in the Darkmist Woods, but still try to put the ones you have currently found to the monolith, the gems will disappear if you exit screen.

2. You can walk through the tree where is a blue snake (in the screen where is a pit and ladder in the Darkmist Woods).

When you finish the bug-free version of the game, remember to include to game a list that contains all the fixed bugs. :)

Dilly McPickles
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Dilly McPickles » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:09 am

None of those bugs are really that bad.  I was able to finish the game without having to go back to a previously saved game.  I was a little scared in the last world, but I was still able to win. Booya!

Relight
Archival Expert

#35 Post by Relight » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:57 am

I did not play too far, but I watched the intro and walked around a bit. Even though it's unpolished, it really had a strong Sierra feel to it, so I think you did an awesome job!

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#36 Post by Corby » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:50 am

I'm really glad there were no critical bugs. Thanks for all the testing. Maybe the final version could have music. That is if Dilly McPickles is up for a Heroine's Quest break! :)
So will there be another game made after that one?
Maybe someday. The end of the game indicated a sequal, so I may have no choice.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by JLM5 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:02 pm

I must still ask one thing about getting the last one gem in the Darkmist Woods: How can I get it from the blue monster's den? Actually I don't see any kind of cave in the screen, there is just a pile of rocks. I have tried everything I can imagine ("look den", "get gem", "get in den", "get in cave" etc.) but there is no clue where the last one gem could be.

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#38 Post by Corby » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:22 pm

[spoiler]"Enter Cave"[/spoiler]
This should do it. I'll be sure to expand the parser for this event in the final version.

Dilly McPickles
Peasant Status

#39 Post by Dilly McPickles » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:52 pm

I could help you expand the parser.  I found it a little frustrating when I typed "climb tree" and it would tell me I didn't feel like it, but when I typed simply "climb" the game did what it was supposed to.

Take a break from Heroine's Quest?  I don't know. How long of a break?  Did you want me to do MIDI audio or something like what I'm doing for HQ.  I would agree to start making music for Caitlyn's Destiny, as long as it does not slow down the production of HQ on your part.  Cool?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#40 Post by Fribbi » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:55 pm

Now you know why it was so difficult for me to find that last gem. It's been very long time since I played a EGA game version like this but I haven't forgot what is the right verb to use in those game.

I always used those word in those games "Look, use, Enter, search, talk to..., open.... and take to help me get through this game.   :p  

I admit I cheated when I was playing that game. I used those log file who was included for that game. And it really helped me alot to find the right word. Please forgive me Corby.  :o

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#41 Post by JLM5 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:03 am

Is the following situation a bug or not? If it IS a bug, it is very serious:

When I have broken the glass wall in the ruined city, there is a place behind the wall, where is a rock lying on the ground. When I try to push it, the game says the rock is too heavy to lift. Ok, I start to think logically and cast "Strength spell". But when I try to move boulder now, I STILL get the same message "The rock is too heavy to lift"! What's wrong?

Again, there are smaller bugs found:

1. When you have broken the glass wall, and decide to look it then, you get the same message "The wall is made of heavy, solid glass" as you got when the glass was unbroken.

2. When you have got the scroll from dragon, and then look the dragon, you still get the message "The dragon is guarding a scroll".

3. I could walk through one (brown) tree in the ruined city. But I don't remember exact place, sorry. (probably it was in the south, near the cliff)

Dilly McPickles
Peasant Status

#42 Post by Dilly McPickles » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:29 am

I used the log files to!   :lol
When I try to push it, the game says the rock is too heavy to lift. Ok, I start to think logically and cast "Strength spell". But when I try to move boulder now, I STILL get the same message "The rock is too heavy to lift"! What's wrong?
Spoiler:
[spoiler]You're not supposed to move it.  You're supposed to utter a phrase told to you by a certain man.[/spoiler]

More?
[spoiler]The man is on the island.  Don't forget to complete all the other quests first.  Someone important shows up before you are allowed to leave the land.[/spoiler]

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#43 Post by JLM5 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 pm

I completed the game. :)

It was generally a really good game, and I hope I can see the sequel as soon as possible. The only bad sides I found are:

- There were a lot of small bugs.
- The parser was a little restricted.
- There were made a few fundamental flaws in the puzzle design. Why I couldn't get the toupee by using float spell? And why I couldn't move the stone in Tamora with the strength spell, even thought I had lifted much bigger and heavier boulder earlier in the game (in the exit of Oberon)?

I was a little disappointed as the game ended so surprisingly. Please, Corby, make the sequel soon...

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#44 Post by Corby » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:15 am

I promise I'll make the sequal one day. Thanks for the testing everyone, especially JLM5. I'll toss in some "special thanks to:" in the credits, once I make the final version. :)
Did you want me to do MIDI audio or something like what I'm doing for HQ.  I would agree to start making music for Caitlyn's Destiny, as long as it does not slow down the production of HQ on your part.  Cool?
I say we just do Heroine's Quest, I tried making Internal PC music once and It was very boring.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#45 Post by Fribbi » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:52 pm

To Corby

Wich gameversion color are faster for you to work on, EGA or VGA?

I just wanted to know how long it toke for you to create that game.

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#46 Post by Corby » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 am

EGA for sure. The game took maybe 4 months of work (I worked on it off and on during a span of 2 years)
VGA just takes so much longer. Those EGA pics take maybe 1.5 hrs to make, while VGA pics can take up to 5-6 hours just for one.

This game only took me two weeks to make:

GAME

Warning: The above game is terrible!