King's Quest Collection

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Jawbone
Peasant Status

King's Quest Collection

#1 Post by Jawbone » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:12 pm

Apparently there is a King's Quest Collection out there with a lot of the games from Sierra. It's got KQ 1-7, Laura Bow stuff, extra games Mixed-Up Mother Goose, and a really spiffy book with copyright protection of course. I highly recomend it if you don't have the games already. I got really lucky and was able to purchase the 3 cd collection from a pawn shop for 5 bucks.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:21 pm

Yea its called the Roberta Williams Anthology.

Good lookin out but I'm sure everyone knows about it  ;)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#3 Post by Kurdt » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:18 pm

No, it's just called the King's Quest Collection. That was the most recent one. That collection came with 4 of her original Apple games (including Mystery House), the 2 Laura Bow games, and Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe. Really a good deal. I can still remember getting it for Christmas. I was ecstatic. *sigh* The good ol' days...

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:19 pm

You might have a point, actually. The Roberta Williams Anthology is 4 CDs.

It's just a bit strange that the only thing different between those two appear to be one Apple game (The Dark Crystal - though that WAS a bonus, and not printed on the box) and a demo (Chapter 1) of Phantasmagoria.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:56 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!

OMFG! WTF!???!  REALLY! OMG!!!! THAT ROXS0RZ TEH BiG11111!!!!!!!!!

I must purchase this now.

Bt

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:32 pm

4 cds? Aw man..I have that same KQ Collection with 3 CDs. I thought I had the latest collection...dangit.

Jawbone
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Jawbone » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:29 pm

Yeah, the one I have is just "King's Quest" (collection series) with 3 cds. It's all I really want. Ohh well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that on a board like this, it's already well known. :p
Which reminds me...I have Phantasmagora, but I still need to play it.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:57 pm

I have the collection that includes the Laura Bow games and 4 Apple games (I thinmk it's 4) and mixed up mother goose. I have Phantasmagoria as well, so it's not too bad I guess..Is that all that was extra? Just the Phantasmagoria demo?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#9 Post by Kurdt » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:19 am

Yeah. It came with a lot of promos for other games. The same thing with the SQ and QFG collections, too. the KQ Collection was the only one that actually came with other games, though. The KQ Collection, in total, came with:

King's Quests 1-7
Laura Bow 1 & 2
Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
Mystery House
Time Zone
The Wizard and the Princess
Mission: Asteroid
Nick's Picks: Checkers (you play checkers vs. King Graham)
King's Questions (KQ Q&A)
MOE Promo
Making of KQ6

The SQ Collection came with some stuff, too. Mostly just Previews. I remember there was a GK2 Promo, a Shivers Promo, a Torin's Passage Promo, and I think it came with a Lighthouse demo as well. I dunno, that was ages ago. *shrug* Whatever. The point is that they were awesome.

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

KQ Collection

#10 Post by NYCaribou » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:18 pm

Do the games on this collection come with an emulator, or have they been modified, so that they will run on Windows? If they all only run on DOS, that means it's impossible to use this collectior's edition with Windows 2000 or Windows XP, correct? (I have the original KQ5, and I can't play it on Windows XP, not even using the command prompt, because all of the Windows drivers still apply and there's no way to disable a particular display driver which causes the program to forcibly be shut down.)

--NYC

Radiant
Knight Status

#11 Post by Radiant » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:07 pm

No, they don't. However you can download dosbox or bochs to remedy your problem (google it!). Also the AGI and SCI/EGA games should work without trouble, the main problem is in sound card support.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#12 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:12 pm

Use Dosbox

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:09 am

The DOS games don't come with an emulator, no. DOSBox works amazingly well, though. And so does the NAGI AGI interpreter for the old AGI games...but DOSBox would work best for the SCI games.

If you're talking about the Apple games, then yes it does come with an emulator.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#14 Post by fluxmaster » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:06 am

NYCaribou wrote:I have the original KQ5, and I can't play it on Windows XP, not even using the command prompt, because all of the Windows drivers still apply and there's no way to disable a particular display driver which causes the program to forcibly be shut down.
I have run the Windows version of KQ5 on XP without using any extra utilities.  Here's what I do:

Right-click on an empty area of the desktop.  Select "Properties" from the context menu.  On the property sheet, click on the "Settings" tab, then click the "Advanced" button.  On the new property sheet, click on the "Adapter" tab, and then click the button that says "List All Modes."  From the list that comes up, select the lowest available mode, which should be at the top of the list.  On my machine, I select "640 by 480, 256 colors, 60 Hertz."  Click "OK"  then click "Apply."  You can now play the Windows version of KQ5 with no problems.

I just did that as I am typing this, and it worked.  I was able to open KQ5Win with no problems.  However, it rearranged the icons on my desktop, so I'm going to have to fix up my desktop.

I can also play the DOS version of KQ5 on XP without using any auxiliary programs, and without doing the above either.

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

Re: King's Quest Collection

#15 Post by NYCaribou » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:12 am

DOSBox isn't working, and I can't figure out why. I install the DOS program, run INSTALL.EXE to configure it, then I start up DOSBox, mount the proper directory, type CD SIERRA and KQ5. I get an error message, "cannot find C:\SIERRA\KQ5\RESOURCE.CFG. Run the Install program." And I just RAN it! I check the KQ5 directory and the RESOURCE.CFG file is right there! But the program absolutely REFUSES to start, giving me nothing but, "cannot find RESOURCE.CFG."

I run the install program over and over and the error message just will not go away.

I did manage to get the Windows version running by setting the screen to 256 colors. Fortunately my video card still offers that option in its configuration. Yeah it re-arranged my desktop icons too but that's not so big a deal.

The real nuisance there is that I have to go into Start-RUN and run SCIKQ5.EXE from the CD. Otherwise by using the desktop icon or programs menu option, I have endless programs with the program hogging up the entire resource bank available to the computer's processes and absolutely FORCES a total system reboot.

--NYCaribou

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#16 Post by Kurdt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:16 am

When you start up DOSBox, you have to load a drive onto it before it'll work. I forget the whole command, but it's in the manual to it. Just carefully read the manual and all your problems should be solved. If that doesn't work, ask about it on the DOSBox forums.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:03 am

Am I correct in assuming you install through ACTUAL DOS, but run through DOSBox? In that case, your problem is most likely that you mount a subdir - the game is configured to look in C:\SIERRA\KQ5\, but you've mounted that directory as C:\.

You have to mount the root of your drive (mount c c:\) and navigate to your game directory (cd sierra\kq5). You can also choose to install through DOSBox, but then it won't work outside of DOSBox without having the drive root mounted.