Your favorite elements from each QfG game?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

Your favorite elements from each QfG game?

#1 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:13 am

What was your favorite element from each game?  

For me I liked the  the music in 1, the plot, vastness,  music, and combat style in 2, the artwork in 3, and in 4?  The artwork was good, but my favorite part of 4 was the status bars on the screen.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#2 Post by Senor Matt » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:07 am

Oh, I thought by elements in the game you meant fire, wind, earth, and water.  Those elementals are fun!!  It's too bad there never was a pizza elemental like they had talked about in the game.  But if anybody cares my favorite elemental in QFG was the fire one.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#3 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:58 am

Senor Matt wrote:It's too bad there never was a pizza elemental like they had talked about in the game.
Hey, now that would have been funny.  How would you tame the Pizza Elemental?

I like the music from QFG1 too, but I like the music from QFG4 the best.  I also agree, the combat was the best in QFG2.  Having the high/mid/low attacks and blocks made the combat a little more complicated.  I like the setting/location of QFG4 the best.

The combat in QFG4 was quite different - I liked it because the Paladin/Fighter could use spells in close combat; in the other games they could not.

Off topic:  Anyone ever play QFG5?  I never really got into it too much, it's just not the same as the first four.  One thing that is really annoying about QFG5 is the combat, especially if you're up against more than one opponent.  Turns into a clicking-frenzy.  Half the time, the Hero either runs away, or attacks the wrong guy, or just stands there like a dork.  There are some parts of the game that are good, the music was well done, and the graphics are decent.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#4 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:19 am

I have a picture I made of the Pizza Elemental and even have some Easter Eggs planned for it, but I am not sure how you would tame it. It would be optional though.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

Re: Your favorite elements from each QfG game?

#5 Post by johnb4467 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:45 am

QG1 is was all-around special, in that it defined the series and what it was about, but I think pretty much every aspect was improved upon in at least one of the games.

QG2 is my favorite...its expansiveness -- especially the differences in each character calss, sets it apart in my opinion. The setting was superb, and the music was absolutely perfect for it. The typing added a huge dimension to it, though I can understand why many didn't like that [I know hero's quest had typing too].

QG3, is good all-around. I didn't like it quite as much, but it was still very fun & had some very memorable moments.

QG4 started off as my least favorite, particularly due to it being so ridden with bugs when released. I had pre-ordered it from sierra...and how ticked I was when my character constantly walked up into the sky, game crashed, and saved games were made useless with each patch release.
BUT...over time, alongisde QG2 it has become my co-favorite game. My FAVORITE aspect of the game is the full-screen character dialogue...that made the characters much more real and personable to me. The setting was perfect, and I think the characters were developed the best in this intallment...characters like Katrina -- you really got attached to them...and you could even understand why Ad Avis was a ticked off individual. Adding greatly to the game was the music, though more 'rock' than anything else, it was perfect for the setting ... I listen to the soundtrack quite often. And finally, with the cd release...the voice acting made the game marvelous...even if sierra didn't make as many sales on the cd release as they wanted. ;)

QG5 - It's funny...I played through it a couple times, and yet I 'forget' about it as part of the series more often than not. It was nice seeing returns my characters like [minor spoiler]

Katrina and Erana...but their characters didn't continue to develop like in QG4. The game just seemed rushed in areas...and of course the game didn't turn out being what it was always meant to be -- a multiplayer Quest for Glory experience. Still, it was an 'ok' game...and the music was top-notch. I listen to its soundtrack often as well...though one of my favorite tunes in the game is not on the soundtrack! [It's the music that plays when you talk to Katrina at her home, and also plays when you are robbing the bank]. Anyone know how to get a hold of that tune?
ChaosBurnFlame wrote:What was your favorite element from each game?  

For me I liked the  the music in 1, the plot, vastness,  music, and combat style in 2, the artwork in 3, and in 4?  The artwork was good, but my favorite part of 4 was the status bars on the screen.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:15 pm

GAP will work for QFG5 music as it is in .WAV format.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:59 am

Boogeyman wrote:GAP will work for QFG5 music as it is in .WAV format.
GAP?
Hehe sorry, don't know what that one stands for...though I don't recall just regular old .wav files on the cd?

Phoenix Software
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Phoenix Software » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:36 am

Last edited by Phoenix Software on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaveen
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Khaveen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:08 am

QFG1: Fun. It's the game is all about. There are still no real heroic deeds, or changes of the world fates. It's just a funny test of your skills, a starting point. The game is really funny.
QFG2: The setting. The music. Wonderful EGA graphics. An ideal interface. Everything's perfect about this game. It's my favourite.
QFG3: The setting is cool, and the plot is rather intriguing. The music is cool too, I think it's the best in the series. But it looks that the game was done rather hastily and some things weren't implemented. It's not a fact, it's just a feeling.
QFG4: Why, the battle system, of course! It's so wonderful to push a button, turn the whole thing to the strategy mode and sit back. ;) Too bad it wasn't fully keyboard-driven, if it was, it would remind a good fighting game a la Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Metal music is fing great, but the bugs are killing this game. There is a patch though, but only for CD version AFAIK. And I have the floppy one. Damn! :cry
QFG5: Music. FINALLY SYMPHONIC MUSIC! Lol. Also the pre-rendered backgrounds are very pretty, but the models... Guys, if anybody would release a patch that would contain OpenGL support for QFG5 and revamped models, I'd say a big thanks.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

qg5

#10 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:13 pm

Yeah seriously...QG5 has the most amazing score of any game I've ever played [and that emcompasses quite a multitude!].
Thanks to you guys for pointing me in the direciton of the GAP extraction utility...now I can happily say that I have a lot of my favorite game soundtracks to listen to -- woo hoo!
Among all of them, though, QG5's score SHINES. Some of the pieces there are simply amazing...and I don't know WHERE they recorded...but they did an EXCELLENT job!
Oddly enough though, even with all of that said, I can't say that I favor the qg5 soundtrack above the midi ones in 1-4...they're still equally as charming, even though not as "real" to the ear.
In a way, I think one of QG5's biggest weaknesses is that it took itself too seriously...the graphics tried to look ultra-realistic & lost the fun, cartoony feel that we had come to really love about QG...after all -- QG is anything but a "serious" series of games [though serious to our hearts!]!

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:02 pm

A very few sets of things keeps QfG4 from becoming myfavorite, even though it is a great one.

One being "The Dreaded Error"

Which, thanks to many a patches is now nonexistant....

The other is the entire final part of the game.  

After you go back into the Dark One's cave, it felt like the rest of the game was slapped together in a damn hurry.

The character animation for the hero prior to that was just brilliant, ESPECIALLY in town and hte guild hall.  The entire range of motion from climbing up the bookshelf to throwing the rope and graple into the ceiling hool was just amazingly smooth and well done.

While using the hook and granaple just looked sloppy as hell in the Dark One Cave.... hell, it looked outright chunky and ridiculous, especially the 'growing hero swing'.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#12 Post by Kloreep » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:53 pm

QFG1: The stats system is at its best in the first game, IMO. You start out weak and having to work at the stables for your money, and if you max your stats you end up with a powerful character that can easily take on anything in the game.

I also liked Mage's Maze. :) Too bad there weren't multiple gameboards and such. And having a real thieve's guild was nice compared to what you get in 2-4, even if those have robberies too. Those three things are pretty all I think compare favorably to the other games.

Overall, I'd say my favorite aspect was the stat system. It gets watered down by importing in later games. (At least if you stat-max, which I can't help doing. ;))

QFG2: The city of Shapeir just felt darn big. Nothing like 4-screen Spielburg. And while the time-triggered events are annoying if you're trying to build up stats, but they too give it a real immersion factor. If you just build up stats for days in the other games, nothing much tends to happen; one day seems like the next. but in QFG2, each game day is unique.

I also liked the plot with the elementals, etc. And the endgame was very good. I also liked the opportunities given to the various classes. WIT really feels like a major turning point for a magic user.

Overall, I'd say my favorite aspect was the city itself. There was never anything like it in the other games, even in QFG5.

QFG3: I like the plot and atmosphere. However, I thought the gameplay was weak in parts. It was very linear, and not just because of a timescale like QFG2. Sometimes I wondered if I was playing a game or watching an interactive movie.

That said, I enjoyed it. One of the best endgames, up there with 2 and 4. I also liked the battle with the shaman the wizard gets to do; there's not much opportunity for wizards to fight with other magic users, but occassionally there's something like that or the mage's maze, and it's always nice.

Overall, I think my favorite aspect was the plot/endgame.

QFG4: Great atmosphere and plot. The speech really adds to it if you have that version. The combat system is also fairly good; probably up there as the best. (Let's hope QFG2VGA surpasses it, though. :D) The interface was nice too. The stat bars were good, and the double-click to repeat spells helped with wizard's magic practice.

Errors are incredibly aggravating, though. I'm going to play through the series again when QFG2VGA comes out, and I hope that fanpatch solves it.

Overall, my favorite aspect was simply the atmosphere itself; how it felt to play the game. (When it doesn't crash, that is.)

QFG5: Combat system was incredibly weak, being either way too hard (using the keyboard to attack) or way too easy (using the mouse to attack). However, the atmosphere was great, aided by the wonderful soundtrack. The plot was decent too.

Overall, I think my favorite aspect was the music.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#13 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 pm

After stripping away all the bells and whistles, I think what I liked best about each game was the plot. That's what makes QFG the most memorable adventure game series for me: great storytelling. Sure, every one had its stand-out areas (stats in QFG1, atmosphere in QFG2, graphics in QFG3, combat and voice acting in QFG4), but without a great story to go along with them, the games wouldn't be nearly as much fun.