What's your favorite holiday... least favorite?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

What's your favorite holiday... least favorite?

#1 Post by Renodox » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:48 am

I've always wondered about this one thing: what is your favorite holiday?  I've got a rough idea of which ones will turn up most for favorite, but I still want to know for sure and also just a general idea why.  And while we're at it, why not say which is the least favorite.

My favorite holiday has to be Halloween.  I used to love getting into costume when I was a kid and even now that I'm too old to be Trick-or-treating I like to put on costumes and scare the trick-or-treaters (and unfortunately, no, I don't have a picture of me in that great costume I used last halloween).  People think that I'm weird for liking to scare little kids but I think it's just SOOO much fun to see them get scared of the wierd apperance of my costume, and that conflict of not wanting to get close but wanting the candy.

My least favorite is Valentines day.  Not only do I feel that I NEVER got a genuine Valentine's gift but I don't even get a day off of school.

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:01 am

Favorite: Both Eids. :D

Least favorite: Christmas. It's just a pain in the neck. And I saw a talking christmas tree that scared me. :|

Valentines Day is a close second, and only a few members here know why. :p

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:09 am

My favorite holiday, Anzac day, which for you non-aussies here is a day where we commemerate any soldiers etc that have fought in any war for Australia. It's cool, there's parades and a dawn service and lots of drinking of rum with old diggers (soldiers) and hearing great stories. It rocks.

My least favorite is Christmas cause it's all commercial and basically stinks.

Khaveen
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Khaveen » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:03 am

My favourite holiday is my birthday. At least my friends and I are celebrating something worthy :p, instead of fake Jesus' birthdays (thanks Erpy for an enlightement) or victories in a war where several tens of millions were killed.

My least favourite holiday is New Year. You know, I don't know why, but I never get that New Year Eve feeling anymore. It's very strange and sad, because I can't have fun with others.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#5 Post by Swift » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:05 am

I don't really have a favourite holiday or a least favourite one.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#6 Post by VampD3 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:19 pm

My fave holiday , I think is Halloween I love getting scared watching horror movies or listening to a halloween night talk on the radio.

Least fave.... I don't think I have one.....

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:05 pm

I love Christmas! Well the atmosphere anyway, I hate everything else about it (the adverts especially piss me off)

Least favourite would be Easter. Giving something up for 40 days (which I'm hoping to give up smoking)

It really is going to be hell!

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#8 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:12 pm

Jafar wrote:Favorite: Both Eids. :D
Eid? I assumed you were Christian. Though now that I think about it, your nickname should have clued me in.

My favourite holiday is Christmas, not because I'm religious but because I really enjoy visiting my family. If by "least favourite" you mean "indifferent towards" then those would be the holidays that have no personal meaning for me, like Easter and Labour Day. At best, I get a day off; at worst, it's just like any other day.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:26 pm

my favourite:  Easter.  it's like a new beginning for me ... both the religious connotation and the fact that it comes in early spring, right around the time i stop feeling the results of my seasonal affective disorder.  

least favourite:  toss up between valentine's day and thanksgiving.  valentine's day, obvious.  thanksgiving ... well, it's always a time of having my mom's family come to visit, for what seems to be the sole purpose of going shopping at the stores that are near my parents' house.  the dinner really isn't that big of a deal.  i just have a hard time relating to that side of the family, so it's a stressful time for me.

Jafar
Super Star

#10 Post by Jafar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:56 pm

Charlemagne wrote:
Jafar wrote:Favorite: Both Eids. :D
Eid? I assumed you were Christian. Though now that I think about it, your nickname should have clued me in.
Well, so many people are Christan, it gets boring. :p

My nick name is my real first name, BTW. 8))

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:32 pm

I don't really have a favorite, either.  Anyday is as good as you make it.  Giving it a title merits no occasion.  Make anyday one to enjoy.

Me, I do like seeing my family, though, so even though I'm not religious, I do enjoy Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving dinners.   I also enjoy Independence Day (July 4th in the US) - generally we barbeque and drink.  It's a good time.

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#12 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:51 am

Jafar wrote:Well, so many people are Christan, it gets boring. :p

My nick name is my real first name, BTW. 8))
Hmm, I always figured you for a good-ol', Southern-fried, Baptist-church-going, honkey-tonk-music-playing Texan. I'll have to replace the picture of you in my mental file. :lol  :lol

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#13 Post by Renodox » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:52 am

Anyday is as good as you make it.  Giving it a title merits no occasion.  Make anyday one to enjoy.
I wish I could but if I tried wearing that costume every day and scared little kids the way I did on Halloween I'd probably be arrested.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:20 am

heh it was my first day of science class today with abrand new teacher and I've never sat in the front row for my past 11 years of education and so I forgot about how well loud ole me could be heard. I also refer to everyone as children EX: *Walks up to group of friends* "Hey Kids". They're used to it now but because of this the first thing my prof heard me say was "I love touching small children"  :rollin I swear to God it makes sense if you hear the whole thing but that's all he heard and here's the kicker, he looks up at me to tell me how wrong that is and I'm fondelling myself to my small audience of friends. mind you this behaviour was completly apropriate to the situation.

That was my first thought after Reno's post and I thought I would share it.

moving on though ima say that I love Christmas because for all those goodies the ads and tv specals are worth it especially if you catch the episode of Family Guy where he watches Kiss saves Santa. although all the others are good I despise V-day. not only is the meaning of it messed up but it causes so much depression to single people and even couples. If you've just met someone you'd like to get involved with but not to soon you need to wait for awhile after if you can't make it that day. I'm going through that a bit right now but I'm trying my hardest to resist untill atleast after the season whoch may be to late. There's no hope in there so I'm just trying to get over it without messing anything up. in conclusion the whole event just screws everyone over and to top it off I think I'll have to dress up as a mascot again for it this saturday which is fun till you get attacked by children of sorts.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:01 pm

Hmm, I always figured you for a good-ol', Southern-fried, Baptist-church-going, honkey-tonk-music-playing Texan.
Nonononono, that's me...well, minus the Baptist churchgoing and honkey-tonk music playing. I happen to like Rock music and am technically a Methodist. The rest is all good, though.

As far as holidays, Christmas is by far my favorite, probably. I love the fellowship and family and spirit of it all, and the meaning behind the decoration and warm fire and of course presents, gifts given with love and care. Good good times.

Really, any holiday is only as bad as you make it. Sure, you can say Christmas is nothing but one big capitalistic commercialization, but if that's true I guess that means that you shouldn't do something for someone you care about a lot if you think it's an empty gesture. However, if you get something someone wants, needs, or could use, you get it for them because you want to, not because you're supposed to. That's how Christmas isn't commercial. People who buy into having to get someone something as opposed to wanting to are those who make it commercial.

With this outlook on holidays, I really don't have a least favorite. If it qualifies I guess you could say Easter, but that's just because I think all the colors are gay (and I mean that in the form that means stupid and retarded, not homosexual).

koko992001
Peasant Status

#16 Post by koko992001 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:36 pm

lol...I was going to quote Charlemagne...and then saw Kurdt did so...

Well, I'll say what I was going to say anyway :p
Charlemagne wrote: Hmm, I always figured you for a good-ol', Southern-fried, Baptist-church-going, honkey-tonk-music-playing Texan.

*waves* That's me!  Well...I'm a Tennessian, not a Texan...and I don't listen or play honkey-tonk music.  But that's almost me in a nutshell!

Favorite holiday: probably Christmas, for all the reasons Kurdt mentioned

Least favorite: has to be the 4th of July, not because of what it stands for but because we always have our big family reunion on that day.  And every year, my cousins bring their current boyfriends or girlfriends (usually not the same one they brought the previous year), and sit around talking about what they did or have been doing with him/her, and blah blah blah.  And every year, I'm there without a boyfriend.  It used to be pretty tolerable because my sister was in the same boat as I am...but now she has a steady and so he comes with us.  Bah!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by rugged » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:08 am

My favorite holiday, Anzac day, which for you non-aussies here is a day where we commemerate any soldiers etc that have fought in any war for Australia
It's not just about commemrating Australians !!! It is a day that was specifically brought about to remember the Australians and New Zealanders who gave their lives at Gallipoli. Now it does have wider meaning in both countries where we remember all those who have died for our respective great countries.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#18 Post by Skyshark » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:20 am

Favourite holiday: Australia Day (usually catch up with a lot of mates and other people)

Least favourite holiday: Valentine's Day (depressing and brings up bad memories for me)