Your QFG2 wish list!

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

Your QFG2 wish list!

#1 Post by oriel » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:58 am

Hello gamers!

I decided to make this post for us to come together to create a QFG2 wish list!  This thread will include everything you want to see added or specifically improved upon in QFG2.  Now some people may prefer the game to only be redone with upgraded graphics, sounds, etc, but looking at the improvement behind KQ I and II it's obvious there can also be so much more to this great classic.

To start it off, what I'd like to see is:

Playing as a thief, more quests of breaking and entering, etc.  For example, being able to go into more houses through the windows of bazaars would be very exciting.

Post what you want to see here!

Radiant
Knight Status

#2 Post by Radiant » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:30 am

I would like to be able to play as a Cleric, Ranger, Monk or Barbarian.
:)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Your QFG2 wish list!

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:51 pm

oriel wrote:but looking at the improvement behind KQ I and II it's obvious there can also be so much more to this great classic.
The KQ1 VGA remake was a 1:1 remake of Sierra's own EGA remake.  There was no adaptation or addition to the plot.  Also, Sierra's own EGA remake was extremely faithful to it's AGI counterpart.

I think QFG2 is perfect the way it is.  If anything, minor graphical adjustments and adornments would be all I would request added - but since the alleyways are already changed, I think I got my wish.

Bt

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#4 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:37 pm

I don't think you can request anything anymore. The game is very close to completion already.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:02 am

While it would be nice to have tons of new quests added, it would also be nice to have the game finished within a reasonable timespan and adding lots of art/animation intensive stuff is unlikely to help much.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#6 Post by El Ravager » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:31 pm

Still, the thread can't actually hurt, so long as people understand that it won't ever be a petition to AGDI seeing as how the gam is close to completion, and we've all been holding our breath for it anyway. Just sort of a wishful thinking thread, if you will...

Regardless, I've complete faith that this game will be totally awesome simply as a 1:1 adaption with a few modifications. The original was one of the best games Sierra ever made, its only downside being the outdated graphics (which wasn't even an issue when it was released...)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#7 Post by Kurdt » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:19 am

C'mon, guys, lighten up and have some fun. He's talking about in fantasyland where anything we want is automatically thrown in there. We remember what it was like to have fun, don't we?

Anyways, I agree that there should be more for the theif to do. One of my favorite things in QFG5 was that each character had extensive character-specific quests for him to complete, the theif being what I thought was the coolest. Until then, he'd basically been ignored. Being a theif in QFG3 sucks, lemme tell ya.

Also, in a perfect world there would be more armor, different weapons you could use, and everything, but that's a perfect world and in this world that can't be implemented on account of QFG3. *sigh* Oh well, ce la vis.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:36 am

To find a dwarf-mine in the Shapeir mountains.  :p

Radiant
Knight Status

#9 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:07 am

Okay... side quest suggestions,

thief
*break into Dinarzad's house and sell the stuff to Ferrari
*break into Aziza's house (with magical traps)
*steal the dispel potion rather than collecting ingredients
*expanded harem scene :)

wizard
*play mage's maze (or something like it) with Aziza
*visit a WIT classroom
*take a lesson from the weird critter in the desert
*steal Ad Avis's spellbook before taking him down

fighter
*beat the crap out of Issur
*throw Ferrari out and clean up the Parrot
*dig your way out of Suleiman's cave (yes, with your bare hands, you're a tough guy aren't you?)

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#10 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:26 pm

Here are a few things I would have liked to see in QFG2:
  • * more interaction with the townspeople (surely a few of them can speak your langauge)
    * smoking a hookah (had to wait for QFG3 :))
    * more places in the city to explore (does the inn have other rooms?)
    * less generic alleyways
    * more "historical accuracy" (we've already beaten this topic to death :))
    * a map of Raseir
    * more mathematical jokes (I sure hope the remake still has the Klein bottle sitting on Aziza's shelf)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:19 pm

more interaction with the townspeople (surely a few of them can speak your langauge)
Just because they can, doesn't mean they feel like it. :p
* more places in the city to explore (does the inn have other rooms?)
Of course. But would YOU like to have random people walk into your guestroom and disturbing you? It's not a console RPG.
* more "historical accuracy" (we've already beaten this topic to death )
Somehow I feel that the topic isn't going to be the only thing beaten to death when we start making that kind of changes.
* a map of Raseir
It was missing for a reason. The game doesn't want you to skip certain meetings in the alleyways (with Ad Avis and Mayzun) by allowing you to teleport straight to the plaza's/inn.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#12 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:27 pm

Erpy wrote:Of course. But would YOU like to have random people walk into your guestroom and disturbing you? It's not a console RPG.
I didn't mean it quite like that. I was thinking more of additional rooms in the game's public spaces. A dormitory in the Adventurer's Guild; a cellar in the inn; the astrologer's observatory; maybe allow access to an antechamber of the palace and guard the inner sanctum instead; an expanded harem with whips, chains and a funk soundtrack. Things like that (OK, maybe not that last one ;)).

You also forgot to say if the Klein bottle is still in the game. :D

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:16 am

Charlemagne wrote:You also forgot to say if the Klein bottle is still in the game. :D
He ignored that one on purpose. They now know you will definitely download the game to find out whether they've included it.

Radiant
Knight Status

#14 Post by Radiant » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:56 am

Charlemagne wrote:You also forgot to say if the Klein bottle is still in the game. :D
Ah, but the truly interesting question is if the game is in the Klein bottle.

[spoiler]given the topology of one, I believe the answer is a loud and resounding maybe.[/spoiler]

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:27 pm

smoking a hookah
Actually, in all seriousness the Katta's Tail Inn would serve shisha. It's part of the culture. I doubt it'd be too hard to put some hookahs on the tables in the background.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#16 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:27 pm

I agree that adding hookahs to the Katta's Tale Inn would be a nice authentic touch, and note in passing that it also irrevocably fixes the game's time period to the late 16th or early 17th century, by which time tobacco had been introduced to the Orient. Though, I may be over-thinking things again. :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:26 am

No! Bring on the Hookahs, baby!  As long as we have a Pink Floyd soundtrack too...... then I can stare at the Klein Bottle all day and go...... "No freakin' way, man......"

w00t.

Bt

hawkblade989
Peasant Status

#18 Post by hawkblade989 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:49 am

I personaly would have loved to see another version of the Mage Maze, my favorite part of QFG 1

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:20 am

Uhmmm... Charlamagne. You do realize QfG isn't on earth, so it can't have the same time periods.

Don't know about the rest, but the moment QfG goes into a specific time period type of thing, I'll stop playing it. I'm looking for a fantasy adventure...

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#20 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:59 am

Gronagor wrote:Uhmmm... Charlamagne. You do realize QfG isn't on earth, so it can't have the same time periods.
Yeah, I know. I guess I meant that if it was in the real world, it would be be in a specific time period.
Blackthorne519 wrote:then I can stare at the Klein Bottle all day and go...... "No freakin' way, man......"
:lol  :lol You're more right than you may know. Since a true Klein bottle is 4-dimensional, the only way to visualise one is to project it into a 3D vector space. If I ever saw a real one, you would definitely hear me saying "no freakin' way, man!" Then I'd check the pipe to see what I was smoking.
hawkblade989 wrote:I personaly would have loved to see another version of the Mage Maze, my favorite part of QFG 1
Totally agree. I always missed playing the Mage's Maze in the other games.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#21 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:32 am

I'm all for historical accuracy in games and stuff, and I also must say that I consider myself to be a realism freak in most aspects. So here is my assesment on the whole deal.

1: Gloriana is not Earth. We never actually see a map of Gloriana so we don't now its actual geography. We can assume it looks something like Earth (as there are references to many real-life cultures and cameos of real life countries), but again I must say, this is not Earth.

2: I fully agree that having names of REAL rulers and country names is poor form, which is one of the few problems I have with QFG as a whole. Some slightly subtle names, like Surria (replace the 'S' with an 'R' and the 'R's with 'S's and you'll get Russia) seem pretty appropriate. They subtle enough not to cause too many problems with people like me and obvious enough to put a smile on most people's faces.

3: More on part with the 'This is not Earth' arguement. Gloriana has magic, anthropomorphic cat and dog people working as civilized races, and there is little to no apparent racism in the world. While this is great for a decent level of political correctness (as well as creating a good deal of wishful utopian thinking), it just isn't the kind of stuff that's really meant to be taken seriously, plus adding a racial element to QFG would cause a lot of hassle for the game makers, so it was rightfully left out. Also consider that there is no Islam or Christianity in QFG, although they make it clear that they refer to gods of other real life cultures (Egyptian, Greek, etc, etc). It was really silly at times to have this, and I believe that they should have been more creative and better in that department than they have been.

It's just a little rant, I know, but I think I might need to expand on it more later... maybe o nthe offical QFG forums, or over here if it's OK with the Admins. :)

Till next time stay cool 8)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#22 Post by Gronagor » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 am

Hmmm... which countries did they mention which didn't have altered names?

Radiant
Knight Status

#23 Post by Radiant » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 am

Hm...
Rabiah, Fricana and Surria should be obvious. Silmaria is a pun on the crystals from Tolkien (otherwise it should be Eceerg or Hollones or something). As far as I can tell, the languages used are accurate.
Spielburg however is an actual village in Austria, as well as a Czech fortress. Or maybe they meant to pun the famous Hollywood directory.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#24 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:48 am

No, Spielburg literally means 'game town' in German and that's what they meant by it. It wasn't a reference to Steven Spielburg despite what many people think.

It wsa all a joke... the hero was going to 'game town' to become a hero!! :D

Till next time stay cool 8)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#25 Post by Kurdt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:57 am

My personal favorite was "Vespuciland," a parody on Amerigo Vespuci, for whom the Americas are named after. A nice little joke that not many people get.

Oh, and by the way, Blackthorne, while there were opium dens where you smoked it out of a hookah, most public places like the Katta's Tail only served shisha in their hookahs, which is a Middle Eastern flavored tobacco. The only effects you would feel would be a slight buzz, and that's only if you were sucking it down like they were cloves or something. I myself own a hookah and periodically smoke shisha out of it. There are tons of hookah bars around my hometown and Middle Eastern grocery stores where you can buy the stuff from for cheap. It's good times.

Anyways, I think we're getting back to that weird obsessive vein. They're creating an illusion of the culture. You're seeing these cultures in their idyllic forms, not as they are. That's why it's called FANTASY. What kind of fantasy world would it be if all it showed you were the starving poor vassals that lived in their own filth in the streets like many people in those cities did?