Most powerful wizard?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Most powerful wizard?

Merlin
28%
Harry Potter
No votes
Erana
28%
Gandalf
21%
Elminster
3%
Gargamel
3%
Manannan
3%
MS Excel Pivot Table Creator
14%

Total votes: 29

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#26 Post by Swift » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:44 pm

Love is in the air! :lol

Jafar
Super Star

#27 Post by Jafar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:52 pm

When are you getting married? (Okay, enough teasing for me. :p )

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#28 Post by Swift » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:54 pm

According to Emode's Wedding Date Predictor, it's 2007, but it's been wrong so many times that I don't believe it. :p

Jafar
Super Star

#29 Post by Jafar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:56 pm

Never let a machine do a a humans job. ;)

Radiant
Knight Status

#30 Post by Radiant » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Phoenix Software wrote: I think Erana is the wizzard with the most character, shes pretty powerful too. Shes pretty too.  :lol
There is but one wizzard, and his name is Rincewind.
Who, in the power level table, scores about par with the Pivot Table Creator.

And in terms of character, you should probably go for Miranda, who certainly gives Erana a run for her money. Come to think of it so do Savil and Elspeth.  And certainly Tattersail (who, power-wise, scores as high as Vanyel I'd say).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#31 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:50 am

Erana eh? I woudn't mind seeing all of her pixels  ;)

ok that was over the top but anyways to post logically in the Harry Potter world they often refer to Merlin as being the first discovered wizard and the greatest. infact for the schools they have the degree of merlin instead of a masters degree (remeber lockhart? he was a graduate merlin first class or something but it was all a fib anyways I think dumbledor has a 3rd class). Erana didn't have enough spells for me as to what you could geustimate but then again there were a lot of spells in that game when you got them all from 1 to 5. any D&D based wiz I just don't like if you catch one right before they sleep after a hard day of adventuring then they are so F***ed because they can't cast anything. if anything Drizzt would kick all theur asses using 3.5 rules. Gandalf I liked simply because in the second movie he kicked the crap outta legolas Arangorn and gimly without trying. but still merlin is at the top.

Radiant
Knight Status

#32 Post by Radiant » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Dumbledore is Order of Merlin, First Class. Snape was promised one after his capture of alleged mass-murderer Sirius Black, but didn't get it since Black escaped. Gilderoy Lockhart is only a Third Class, and has a bunch of other awards that don't really mean anything (e.g. Witch's Weekly Smile of the Week) and/or might have been earned in a shady way.

Erana feels about the same power level as The Hero in QfG5, except that she has a lengthy track record of establishing Places of Peace.

D&D wizards can keep all their spells forever provided they don't cast any. Given that a 20th-level wizard can cast 40 spells per day (50 if specialized, more if they have Pearls of Power and/or Rings of Wizardry and/or Divine Blessing and/or special feats), and that Elminster is probably up to level 30 given the high power level of the Forgotten Realms, and likely has all four of the above. I'm not going to argue whether or not he could kick Drizz't's ass, but he certainly wouldn't run out of spells any time this century. Wait, scratch that, if he was prepared Elmy could cast over a dozen spells in sequence that each would kill or terminally disable Drizz'l on a failed saving throw. Try passing a dozen saves in a row.
You should check out nuklearpower.com, it has somebody who answers lots of those 'could superman beat up the hulk' type questions. It's kind of fun. According to those specs, Superman loses to Link, among others.

The reason that I put Gandalf on the top rather than Merlin, is that Gandalf is Axiomatic in his power and Merlin is, according to most accounts, mostly a sage (and also, the entire Potter storyline doesn't come anywhere near Axiomatic power). That, of course, is entirely up to debate, and I have some well-read friends with whom I'll probably be talking about it for several hours in the near future :)

After some more thought, though Dworkin Barimen should be on top since he Inscribed the Pattern, thus defining most of the multiverse (see the Amber Decalogy, arguably the best fantasy series ever).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#33 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:50 pm

DO YOU WANT MY HEAD TO EXPLODE!?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#34 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:56 pm

Perhaps you should exercise your grey cells more, QFG Fan, if you don't want your head to explode.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Keenermart » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:04 am

Wait wait.. back the truck up...  totally not on the subject of wizards and all, but in what crazy, demented world could Link ever have the slightest chance against Superman?  No no no no.  Whoever came up with that just lost all credibility in my opinion.

As for the most powerful wizard on the list, I think I'd go with Merlin, even though I voted for Erana before I had taken time to put a little more thought into it.

As for Gandalf... waaayyy over-rated.  No doubt he's pretty cool, and very important and all...  However...  as far as his magical ability goes, he's just a step above Gargamel.  And that's only because fireworks are a lot cooler than wreaking a flood on the Smurfs' village.  Seriously, as far as magic goes, what did Gandalf ever do?  Not a whole lot.  Obviously some will disagree, but bring it on.

On top of that, Gandalf was nothing compared to Sauron (although I don't know if Sauron would be considered a wizard or something else... I dunno.)  Gandalf would never have stood a chance in a one-on-one fight.  The only reason Sauron was ever defeated at all was because the moron thought it would be a good idea to tie all of his powers to that ring.  Way to go, Einstein.

So... IF Sauron were to be considered a wizard.. which in my opinion he should be... (probably not by Middle Earth standards for wizards, but definitely by other standards)  He would have to be at the top of that list.

Radiant
Knight Status

#36 Post by Radiant » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:58 am

Re: Link vs. Superman, read it yourself at nuklearpower.com... I believe the point was that Supy is vulnerable to magic, and Link has a lot of magic tricks at his disposal.

Anyway. Okay, you have some point about Gandalf. But what exactly has Merlin ever done, magic-wise? In the Arthurian saga he's mostly a wise old man.
Technically in Middle Earth the term 'wizard' isn't quite what it is anywhere else. Gandalf is an Istari, which is one of a group of five Maiar (compare, angels) sent to watch over Middle Earth. The other four being Saruman (their leader), Radagast, Alatar and Pallando.
Sauron is also a Maia, in the service of Melkor who is the Fallen One of the Valar (compare, archangels). I believe there's about a dozen Valar in ME, and the strongest of them turned evil (compare, Lucifer). (recommended literature, The Silmarillion by Tolkien)
The Balrog is not strictly a Maia but is of comparable age and power level. Gandalf defeats both the Balrog and Saruman over the course of the story.

Trick is that Gandalf's power is very subtle (because if it isn't, his enemies know where he is). In the film you can see him influencing the battle at Minas Tirith (his morale-increasing words are heard everywhere); also at the final explosion of Sauron, there's a circle of people that remain entirely unharmed, centered on (you guessed it) Gandalf. Plus he is entirely too good at being in the right place at the right time, and influence events in the right way - you just have to look for it.
Magic is seldom spectacular because it seldom needs to be.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#37 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:29 am

Radiant wrote:Re: Link vs. Superman, read it yourself at nuklearpower.com... I believe the point was that Supy is vulnerable to magic
No no no, Supes is only vulnerable to kryptonite, which I'm pretty sure is not the same thing as magic. :lol
Radiant wrote:Gandalf is an Istari, which is one of a group of five Maiar (compare, angels) sent to watch over Middle Earth. The other four being Saruman (their leader), Radagast, Alatar and Pallando.
Hmm, I didn't think the last two were ever explicitly named in any of the canonical texts.

Radiant
Knight Status

#38 Post by Radiant » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:34 am

Alatar and Pallando are part of the Unfinished Tales collection, which is in fact canon (since it is the large collection of writings Tolkien left unpublished after his death, and which were put together into several books by his son)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alatar

I'm not sure about Superman, in fact I think his stories are rather dumb :) but given that he's one of the older superheroes in existence, he's bound to have acquired quite a bunch of adversaries. Maybe one of them is a wizard or something. Maybe Link's magic dust is in fact kryptonite dust?

JWar
Knight Status

#39 Post by JWar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:03 am

Radiant wrote:
JayWar wrote:Why isn't Pug in that list?
Because he's not half as powerful as Macros? Anyway Macros would probably score third in that list, after Gandalf and Elminster.
I'm not sure you've read the series through completely. Not half as strong as Macros? Macros died in a fight with the Demon King, only winning that because of his link with the dead Magic god.

He confessed himself that Pug has more raw power.

Radiant
Knight Status

#40 Post by Radiant » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:15 pm

But Macros died at least twice before and always seems to recover somehow. He's also a notorious liar. The fact that he was capable of transcendance to Godhood shows that he's more powerful than Pug. It is also implied that Pug (or Miranda) would not have been able to take down the demon king, which is why Macros jumped to the task.

(granted, though, 'not half as powerful' is an exaggeration)

It seems obvious that Miranda is somewhat below Pug in power, and the rest of the world is not even in the running (except for the late Serpent Queen who comes close)
An interesting point would be figuring Nakor into the equation. Or Zaltais.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#41 Post by Swift » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:58 pm

Nah, my smiley is probably the most powerful wizard!

ph34r my smiley! Image

Jafar
Super Star

#42 Post by Jafar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:58 pm

My smiley is telling your smiley to bring it on! :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#43 Post by Radiant » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:24 pm

:smokin  :hat  :evil   :rolleyes  :rolleyes
:lol  ;)  :|  8o  :(  :p  :rollin
:)  :cry  :evil  :rolleyes  :x

(as everybody knows, smileys fight best when in the traditional haiku formation)

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#44 Post by jpnuar1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:06 pm

Let's all face it... Tom Riddle should be on that list, not that that Griffindor wimp. Lord Voldemort already killed Harry succesfully six times already. That meddler Rowling just keeps ressurecting him, and then pretending the whole thing never happened when she tells us the story.

But we all know that Fenrus could whomp them all, should he ever decide to do so... :lol

Oh, and.....
Keenermart wrote:The only reason Sauron was ever defeated at all was because the moron thought it would be a good idea to tie all of his powers to that ring.  Way to go, Einstein.
He didn't tie his powers to the ring, he tied the ring's power to himself. The ring was the only reason that he was still alive, the start the war of the ring. Had he never created the ring, we would all still be living with elves and hobbits and dwarves and orcs and etcetera.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#45 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:42 am

we WERE living with elves and dwarves before? Now who's crazy. I'm just posting cause Radiant seems to be a big fan of these fantasy books and I had a couple questions. I am reading a forgotten realms book called The Ogres Pact. It's the first book in a series of 3 and centers on a character named Tavis. my first question if this book rings any bells is what the hell is a firblog as Tavis is one as is the bodygaurd of the princess. My second question is why do all forgotten realm books start with unexplained begginnings? I mean Tavis is running some type of orphan inn where theres a dancing giant who shoots fire when he moves and has a princess hanging around him all the time. He's also a formidable fighter (not sure his class) with a cool unexplained mentor (Rogue?) named Runolf. I just can't get the jist of it and also I wanna know if these are good as far as these books go. the only other ones I read were Baldurs gate (cause I played the game) and The Crystal shard (Cause I saw Drizzt on the cover)

Radiant
Knight Status

#46 Post by Radiant » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:47 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:we WERE living with elves and dwarves before? Now who's crazy.
That is actually somewhat true... the way LotR is written, it alleges having happened in the far past of this world, in a time long forgotten when magic still worked. Of course the continents are all wrong, and Erda seems to be flat so it doesn't quite work, but JRR does mention it.
I'm just posting cause Radiant seems to be a big fan of these fantasy books and I had a couple questions.
Yep :) several hundred books in my room here.
my first question if this book rings any bells is what the hell is a firblog as Tavis is one as is the bodygaurd of the princess.
I'm afraid it doesn't. However, firbolgs are a race of giants (at least, very large people) from Celtic mythology; the name means bag-people, because they were enslaved to carry big bags of rocks around.
In D&D, a firbolg is one of the stronger kinds of giant. For reasons unknown to me, D&D uses a variety of races of giant (stone, hill, storm, etc), all of which are at least thirty feet tall.
My second question is why do all forgotten realm books start with unexplained begginnings?
Quite frankly, because they aren't very well written. Some of them even quote parts of the D&D Player's Handbook verbatim, and most are full of cliches or dei ex machinae. The fact that every character falls into a strict class emphasizes this; the whole idea is epitomized in the D&D movie, which was a major failure.
Those books are (or have been) quite popular so if you enjoy them, great! However be aware that there are different kinds of fantasy.

Let's see, good books in the D&D saga is hard to tell because I haven't read many of them. The only one that comes to mind is Prince of Lies (about evil god Cyric). However, you may want to try Raymond E. Feist's Krondor saga, which is actually based on his D&D campaign; he's the best-selling author in that area of fantasy.

Other suggestions, Jack Vance (actually a major part of D&D was based on HIS books!) for instance the Lyonesse trilogy.
Ursula LeGuin -> EarthSea series
Terry Brooks -> Shannara series
David Eddings -> Belgariad series

And last but not least, Roger Zelazny's Amber Decalogy is arguably the best fantasy series ever.

HTH!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#47 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:23 pm

I can't remeber this books author seeing as how I don't have it on me. (not in the city at the moment) but other than the begginning it seems well written. The characters seem to be a little "lucky" at times but other than that it's not horrendus. My question is have you ever read any books by Phillip Athens (Baldurs gate). And/Or have you read The Crystal Shardand if so are thgose the only 3 Drizzt books? Because it seems a lot of people like Drizzt.

Radiant
Knight Status

#48 Post by Radiant » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:44 pm

I haven't read the books, but I am familiar with Drizzt (and Raistlin, and Tasselhoff, etc). It is true that many people like them, however it tends to be something that people like at a certain age (no offense meant, just stating a general tendency), and once they've read more books (for instance High Fantasy or Deep Fantasy books, rather than D&D'ish) people tend to change their opinion about that.

elfonlyinn.net has some good jokes about the subject.

I do own the Crystal Shard (and the Magic/tm/ card Crystal Shard), but that's only because my old gaming company was named thusly :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#49 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:36 am

I never said I liked Drizzt just stating that it is the most common name in the fantasy world. I once found out what level he was. It came out to about 11Ranger/6 Rogue/2 fighter/1 Wizard. I only read like the first to chappies of the crystal shard then I had to return it to the library on account of the school year was over.

Radiant
Knight Status

#50 Post by Radiant » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:34 am

I never said that you liked him either :)
He is common, though, and even appears in Baldur's Gate... he's also widely parodied, for instance Order of the Stick has a Zzt'dri, and 8-bit Theatre has a Drizz'l.

His level is lower than I thought, actually. But that's probably a good thing.