Your QFG2 wish list!

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Radiant
Knight Status

#51 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:09 pm

At the risk of going off-topic... wasn't there some other forum people coming to Amsterdam in the near future? If this turns into an AGS meet of sorts I'd like to join.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#52 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:12 am

I believe Angelus and Vamp are there now and doesn't Spikey live there?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#53 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:08 pm

Angelus and Vamp are currently in Amsterdam. Initially, I arranged for Spikey and myself to be there to "pik een terras" there, but the former ones let me know a few days back that they preferred to postpone our meeting until further notice. They were only in Amsterdam for a few hours and didn't want to rush our meeting. They were playing with the thought of returning to the Netherlands at some point in the near future and if they'd go, they'd plan to free up some time that'd exceed 20 minutes or so, so we could have a real meeting, rather than a few minutes.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#54 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:19 pm

Yup, what Erpy said.

We're back in the internet cafe having a hot cup of coffe as its snowing outside!! Been loads of places which we'll tell you about later.

We would of loved to meet Erpy and Spikey but it would be much better if we could meet properly and go for a drink or a meal etc.

But pending our sea sickness fears we'll hopefully be returning soon lol

Anyway gotta go catch the bus back to the ferry now!

Bye!!

(BTW, you can move this to random rants if you like Erpy.)

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#55 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:14 pm

So why are we able to suspend our disbelief for somethings, and not for others?  The Lord Of The Rings, for example - there are basis in Norse/English/European mythos, but why is one easily able to accept goblins, orcs, Nazgul, Ringwraiths and giant spiders?  Those are all, for all intents and purposes, childish and they disregard realism and logic.
As a matter of fact, I am willing to suspend my disbelief for somethings and not others, and it doesn't just apply to Fantasy, either, but rather every genre of movie I can think of. I'll give you a couple of my own, personal, theories behind it all.

For one thing, it's all a matter of context and reasonableness, as well as logic and a bit of realism. I don't mind some exaggeration in things, but pushing it too far just really sucks at times. In 'The Rundown', a movie I watched about last year, which I consider to be a terrible movie in terms of plot and action, as well as the most bizaare ending I've ever seen in a long time, many of the fight scenes were just plain stupid.

In the movie, people get their heads smashed across walls and columns and the walls shatter to pieces while the guys who get hit just look and feel like they've tripped and fell on a gravel floor. Also, Beck, the main character, says he hates guns and would never use them (although he changes his mind towards the end of the movie), but the villains he's fightings are armed to the teeth and they're so stupid that none a single one of them can even get CLOSE to hitting him.

This is the main point... sheer stupidity. I can tolerate 'cool' action fights that wouldn't reflect reality in any way, but so long as one can BELIEVE this and its reasonable enough. I can accept that a Jedi Knight can use the force to jump high, pick up large objects with his mind and whatnot, but I'm not about to believe that they can fall down a ridiculesly high speeds and catch a moving vehicle heading several hundred kilometers per hour without any fatal injury. That's my thing in this regard. Logic is paramount, realism can be negated to some degree depending on what you're working with, but pushing it too far will cause MANY people to flip out and refuse to carry on with it.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#56 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:26 pm

Damn! I missed out on a great argument. And just when it looked like this thread was turning into a discussion on the nature of reality, too. Oh well, back to Neverwinter Nights, I guess. :)

Radiant
Knight Status

#57 Post by Radiant » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:24 pm

Charlemagne wrote:Damn! I missed out on a great argument. And just when it looked like this thread was turning into a discussion on the nature of reality, too.
Oh, we can still do that! Nobody has even mentioned fortytwo yet!

And in the spirit of unreasonably weird fights I'd like to nominate DBZ :)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#58 Post by Gronagor » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:24 am

DBZ isn't so weird. The problem is the american company who translated the thing. They've cut a great deal of scenes from the original, which gave it a less understandable look.

Why did they have to remove all the blood and stuff!! But I agree, DBZ is stupid and boring when you compare it to an anime like Naruto. Much more realistic. :)

Unreasonable and simply pathetic: Kill Bill.

Radiant
Knight Status

#59 Post by Radiant » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:27 am

Okay, I haven't seen that much of DBZ, but the fact that the average ki attack destroys a mountain and leaves the opponent entirely unharmed, always seemed strange to me (aside from the fact that they should run out of mountains sooner or later).

Kill Bill? Yeah, that was pretty bad. Also, any film written or directed by Stallone...

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#60 Post by Kurdt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:20 pm

You must understand, though. Kill Bill was written as a tribute to bad Japanese martial arts films. The fights were supposed to look absolutely ridiculous. Have you ever seen the movie "Ricky-oh"? That film has the most ridiculous "fights" I've ever seen in my life in a movie.

And don't even get me started on DBZ. Here's a rundown of your standard 30-minute DBZ show:
-Bad guy and good guy stand off and talk for 10 minutes. "I will defeat you." "No you won't." "Yes I will." "No you won't." "Yes I will."
-Bad guy and good guy power up for 15 minutes. "RRRR!" "RRRR!" "RRRR!" RRRRR!"
-Deliver blows for 3 minutes. "AAAAAHHHH!" "AAAAHH!!!"
-Blow either completely destroys bad guy or he doesn't even feel a thing. Shock and awe. Then it says "To be continued." The other 2 minutes are commercials.

Radiant
Knight Status

#61 Post by Radiant » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Yep :)

If you want, move over to my website http://www.geocities.com/p_simoons/links.htm and check out the DBZ parody. It's hilarious :)
(but I find it hard to believe that so many ppl totally worship dbz...)

El Ravager
Knight Status

#62 Post by El Ravager » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:47 am

<grin> Quite right, Kurdt. But you forgot my three favorite lines. "It is impossible!" "How can this be?!" And "How can he be so powerful???!?!"  :rolleyes

ktchong
Peasant Status

#63 Post by ktchong » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:28 am

In the original Quest for Glory 2, if the hero disturbed or killed the Griffin, he would automatically disqualified from becoming a Paladin.  The remake should fix that.

Anyway, check this out: How To Become A Paladin

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#64 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 am

Why? That's the whole point of the Paladin!?

Talissa
Peasant Status

#65 Post by Talissa » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 am

Why do you need a map of Raseir? The geography's exactly the same as Shapeir's, and there are few enough streets left open to explore that you're not going to get lost if you're paying attention.

(Sorry for digging up something from the first page. I thought there'd been enough on the nature of fantasy)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#66 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:52 am

In the original Quest for Glory 2, if the hero disturbed or killed the Griffin, he would automatically disqualified from becoming a Paladin.  The remake should fix that.
The paladin point penalty is slightly less harsh in the remake. If you disturb the griffin, but don't do any other foolish things, you may still become a paladin. Of course, a good paladin wouldn't attack a sleeping and docile creature, but some players make the mistake of believing it's necessary to wake up the griffin before being able to get a feather.

The map will work in Raseir now...partially. You can see where you are, but you won't be able to use it to move to other places.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#67 Post by Skyshark » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:05 pm

Kurdt wrote:
Radiant wrote:I consider something logical if it's internally consistent.
For example, Roger Wilco is a comedic character in a space-spoof world. If in the middle of SQ4 he started talking like Duke Nukem and started blew away the Monolith Burger manager for kicking him out of the returaunt, this would not be internally consistent.
S'pose it'd be more believable if he first Vulcan nerve-pinched one of the Sequel Police and took their gun without getting shot. :p
Last edited by Skyshark on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#68 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:38 am

Erpy wrote:
The paladin point penalty is slightly less harsh in the remake. If you disturb the griffin, but don't do any other foolish things, you may still become a paladin. Of course, a good paladin wouldn't attack a sleeping and docile creature, but some players make the mistake of believing it's necessary to wake up the griffin before being able to get a feather.
I think that's part of the reason the Coles said they would have reduced the point penalty if they ever did a remake (so AGDI's doing it for them :D ).

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#69 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:26 am

Kurdt wrote:And don't even get me started on DBZ. Here's a rundown of your standard 30-minute DBZ show:
-Bad guy and good guy stand off and talk for 10 minutes. "I will defeat you." "No you won't." "Yes I will." "No you won't." "Yes I will."
-Bad guy and good guy power up for 15 minutes. "RRRR!" "RRRR!" "RRRR!" RRRRR!"
-Deliver blows for 3 minutes. "AAAAAHHHH!" "AAAAHH!!!"
-Blow either completely destroys bad guy or he doesn't even feel a thing. Shock and awe. Then it says "To be continued." The other 2 minutes are commercials.
You can blame the American translators and editors for that. They've ruined just about every anime by deleting every scene they didn't feel should be in. Most of the story were cut out and we were left with neverending fighting. Watching anime without blood... is like drinking a milkshake without the milk.  :p

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#70 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:27 am

my only wish...

TO HAVE THE GAME!!!  >:

Just kidding AGD's, I still love you!  :p