Help a person in pain.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#26 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:06 pm

So for example if I lived in the US and was going on holiday to Canada and I converted US$400 to Canadian dollars which according to http://www.xe.com is CAD$492 then your saying I would have made US$74 profit (CAD$92 = US$74).

If thats correct thats crazy. US$74 is quite a lot of money!

(Apologies again swift, Gron if you wanna discuss this further then lets create a thread or post in Random Rants.)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#27 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:37 pm

I think this is what she means:

You're in the US and get prices on something in Canadian Dollars. However, you don't calculate the exchange rate, but assume a one-to-one conversion - that is, 1 USD for 1 CAD. (Alternatively, you know the amount will be the same regardless whether it's USD or CAD.)

If you then convert 400 USD to CAD, getting 492 CAD, then you will have $92 more than you expected.

In other words, if you caluclate one USD as one CAD (because the terms "dollars" is used for both, or something similar), you will have more than you expected.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#28 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 pm

So if she is assuming US$1 = CAD$1 then she is incorrect right?

Also who would offer to change US$400 to CAD$ at one to one conversion?

Sorry lol just dont understand.

(Mods you can cut these posts and paste them into a new thread if you want.)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#29 Post by Alias » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:40 pm

Yeah, I say this at QFMG, it is great that you have raised that much and hope people will donate so you can get what needs to be done.  :\

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#30 Post by PotatoSlayer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:03 am

cough cough ermm im hearing a lot of bad things about the canadian goverment cough cough wink wink

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#31 Post by Swift » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Just to update everyone on the latest situation.

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... st&p=18084

Thanks for all the help and support!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#32 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:06 pm

So she finally made it! Wow didnt take that long really. In related news Deb just got her gold tooth put in. Brassfire should have really lived in the UK as its all free!

Makes you wonder why other countries to have a National Health Service.

Broomie
The Enigma

#33 Post by Broomie » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:29 pm

I presume it's something to do with population. UK has a very small population comparing to Canada and US. If health service was free there, I'd believe it would cost bundles of cash to keep everything in order, it'll be a tight budget.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#34 Post by Erpy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:54 pm

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that that wellfare is being paid by tax-money? In that context, a larger population would equate a larger amount of tax-money available for well-fare.

In the Netherlands, we pay a relatively high amount of tax (compared to, for example, the US) in return for a more sophisticated wellfare-related role of the government.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#35 Post by Alias » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:23 pm

In the UK you just way a lot of tax over the years so it better be free health care. Even though the service is crap most of the time.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#36 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Erpy wrote:Wouldn't it be logical to assume that that wellfare is being paid by tax-money? In that context, a larger population would equate a larger amount of tax-money available for well-fare.

In the Netherlands, we pay a relatively high amount of tax (compared to, for example, the US) in return for a more sophisticated wellfare-related role of the government.
It's the same here in Canada. We pay higher taxes than the US but basic medical care is free. Unfortunately, for various reasons the government has been cutting back services for more than a decade and the system is in pretty bad shape at the moment. A larger population does bring in more tax money, but government mis-management and bloated bureaucracies squander far too much of it. I still think our health-care system is better than America's though.

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#37 Post by PotatoSlayer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:24 pm

pshh :rolleyes

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#38 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:41 pm

PotatoSlayer wrote:pshh :rolleyes
Again, TuberKiller, I love you.
I love your Citrus Growin' carcass.

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#39 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:50 pm

Don't you mean his gun totin' carcass? He is from the Gunshine State, after all. :lol

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#40 Post by PotatoSlayer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:34 pm

guns? we grow oranges, i've got 2 orange trees in back yard, geze don't no nutin

koko992001
Peasant Status

#41 Post by koko992001 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:41 am

I think he was joking... :p

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#42 Post by Swift » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 am

Hmm... it looks like the problem's not entirely over yet...

Update.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Alias » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:12 am

Gosh, I hope everything works out.  :(

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#44 Post by Swift » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:19 am

I hope so too. :(

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#45 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:00 pm

Thats an unfortunate situation but I dont think its right using the donation money for other things that what it was donated for.

People are now just donating money for her to live on, she cant be that desperate. Why couldnt she just get a job in the US in the first place(thats where she was originally right?) and pay for her teeth that way.

I imagine thats what millions of other people have to do that dont frequent forums.

Anyway I do hope she gets herself sorted and can then support herself  :)

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#46 Post by VampD3 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm sorry but this is a bit stupid now,
If I sponsor Striker to Canada with the donated money instead, and get a job, we can get a place by April...
For one thing, like Angelus said, you shouldn't use money that people have spent so long in donating for something else that people weren't donating for. Funny how her teeth were so so urgent to be done and yet now she is saying that she can put her teeth off to instead use the money for something else. Also funny how she can even now talk about getting a place whereas before she was so hard done for money in was desperate.
But if he can get permission to work by June we'll be earning surplus by August - enough to deal with the teeth and even get more allergy treatments.
Before all this, she was so desperate for money for her teeth!! there was no other way out of the situation other than people to donate money for her teeth, funny now then how there is another way out and no body needed to donate money in the first place, Oh apart from to sponser her partner over.

I know she will ask people if its ok to use their money that way, but I find it a totall change in tone between all her posts. First ones sounding desperate and upset and out of all hope asking people to donate money left right and center for her teeth as her teeth were SO painful and she couldn't eat and there was no way of her getting a job or help to pay for them and now, the money is going somewhere else and she can now wait for her teeth and maybe even get tempory fillings for now and even borrow money!!

Just funny how she was so desperate to get her teeth done, you'd think as soon as she had the money she would be out the door and to the dentist not thinking about doing something else with the money. I know its her partner and she owuld probably do anything for him but I just think its strange how he didn't seem to come into the picture much at the begining.

Hope she gets what she want's though, goodluck to her, my advice go out there and get your teeth done like what was going to happen in the first place with the donated money that people hurried to get to you in the first place!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#47 Post by Swift » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Why couldnt she just get a job in the US in the first place(thats where she was originally right?) and pay for her teeth that way.
Wrong. She's Canadian. As to why she couldn't get work in the US, that's a pretty long story...

rosel1
Knight Status

#48 Post by rosel1 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:26 pm

I think it is admirable that Brassfire is being honest and asking permission to use the money to improve things for herself and her partner.  It's a known fact that the welfare system seems determined to keep people trapped in poverty.  Using this money to help her establish her partner and make it possible for both of them to work, will eventually improve their financial situation.  In the end, she can get her teeth fixed and the original goal will be accomplished.

That money used differently in the short-term, will pay off long-term dividends.  In the event that they have a child, life will improve for the whole family.  Again, the end result will be that Brassfire will be able to get her teeth fixed, and her health will improve, thanks to the folks on this forum.  Either way, it's a positive outcome.   :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#49 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:14 pm

rosel1 wrote:I think it is admirable that Brassfire is being honest and asking permission to use the money to improve things for herself and her partner.  It's a known fact that the welfare system seems determined to keep people trapped in poverty.  Using this money to help her establish her partner and make it possible for both of them to work, will eventually improve their financial situation.  In the end, she can get her teeth fixed and the original goal will be accomplished.

That money used differently in the short-term, will pay off long-term dividends.  In the event that they have a child, life will improve for the whole family.  Again, the end result will be that Brassfire will be able to get her teeth fixed, and her health will improve, thanks to the folks on this forum.  Either way, it's a positive outcome.   :)
True, but it would be more admirable to do it yourself, working to achieve something like everyone else has to.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad she's on the road to recovery but not everyone has access to a forum with kind people willing to donate money.

I think I just must be to used to living in a country where the goverment however full of problems it may or may not be has a basic health service in place for people to get free/cheap medical care.

Good luck getting a job Brassfire!

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#50 Post by VampD3 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:16 pm

Also its not the fact that she has changed what she is going to be using the money for its the fact that at the begining she was BEGGING people for money saying it was "peoples in actions" that made her teeth get as bad as they were and she actually made it out that she couldn't eat or sleep as she was in so much pain and depressed, in yet now everything where her teeth are concerned seems to have settled down and now its a different problem.

Like I said I don't care if she uses the money for something else all I was getting at is the fact her teeth were so bad according to her it was so so painful and couldn't wait, she was begging others to pass around a container at schools as she was so desperate for the money, she was in such a hurry as it just couldn't wait whereas now she's fine waiting.