We already knew they're scum...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

We already knew they're scum...

#1 Post by Broomie » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:47 pm

... but sadly LEC have done it again, and dug a bigger hole... that they're planning to stay in.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfi ... asartsnews

That's right, forget Monkey Island sequels, this is it. LEC have no further plans for adventure games. It even states they're going to concentrate on making Star Wars games more than ever. NO! Jim Ward to me is just a greedy asshole. I don't know about you, but anything with George Lucas written on it, is now officially Scum.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 pm

I thought they had an unbreakable five-game contract. :p

But to be a little serious about this, I'm almost starting to think that LucasArts is deliberately trying to fail. Haven't they read the countless Star Wars game reviews that say "Enough is enough, already!"?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#3 Post by Vildern » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:03 pm

*whistles...*

Hand me a shovel, I'll dig their grave.....  :p

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#4 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:22 pm

I agree, the Star Wars games are worn out. They're just getting worse every time. I used to think they were cool, but I think I've seen it all.

Monkey Island 5 would be WAY cooler (hint, LucasArse! -umm- Arts!).

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#5 Post by Swift » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:23 pm

*passes Vildern the shovel*

Such a pity it has to end this way.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

Re:

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:11 am

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:I agree, the Star Wars games are worn out. They're just getting worse every time. I used to think they were cool, but I think I've seen it all.

Monkey Island 5 would be WAY cooler (hint, LucasArse! -umm- Arts!).
I'd have to agree. The last Star Wars games that weren't crap were Galactic Battlegrounds and Rouge Leader(Rebel Strike is only mediocre as it is WAY too much like Rouge Leader).

BTW, I always refer to the current LucasArts as FucasArts. I doubt that they will ever realize that they are LucasARTS not LucasWARS.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:41 am

Shoots George Lucas

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#8 Post by Klytos » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:47 am

Well, in their defence it took ten years longer than Sierra.

OmegaDog
Peasant Status

#9 Post by OmegaDog » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:53 am

If you read further down to see more of the interview -- it doesn't actually seem that bad.  He seems to recognize that there were too many Star Wars games, many of them mediocre.

Either way -- just as long as the end result of their actions are fun/entertaining games (no matter what IP they use), that's all that matters to me.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#10 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 am

OmegaDog wrote:If you read further down to see more of the interview -- it doesn't actually seem that bad.  He seems to recognize that there were too many Star Wars games, many of them mediocre.

Either way -- just as long as the end result of their actions are fun/entertaining games (no matter what IP they use), that's all that matters to me.
But they would need to PROVE it via making more Adventure games rather then more mediocre Star Wars games.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Renodox » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 am

Mmm... I notice that this information doesn't tell the whole story so I can't fully judge on what the company is doing but it doesn't look good.  In my opinion, part of the problem with these marketing figures is that they don't take into account the KIND of games that come out.  It's like the end of Adventure games by Sierra, when games like "King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity" come out, how do you EXPECT gamers to react?!  

Then there's the problem with the franchise characters.  I've noticed this in many systems.  Instead of bringing in new characters and working with them they keep using the same ones over and over again.  ENOUGH with Star Wars already!  ENOUGH with Mario characters!  They say that it's time for something new but most of these games that come out ride off of the old.

Reading that there's going to be a new Indiana Jones movie doesn't encourage me any.  I thought Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was pretty conclusive.  Besides, if they change just ONE character that appeared in all three movies, I guarantee it's not going to go over well with most of the fans.

And I really hope that the "Monkey Island" interpretation is false.  That leaves a pretty big loose end out in that series.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#12 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:47 am

No bashing Mario please! I do agree that we do NOT need any more Star Wars games. What we DO need is Sam & Max:Freelance Police.

Yes, Guybrush and the Voodoo Lady do have unbreakable five-game contracts with LEC, but LEC is showing NO intrest in keeping them.

The Avatar
Knight Status

End for Guybrush

#13 Post by The Avatar » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:47 am

And so the pirate has finally met his match.  I say, this, to us, is worthy of acknowledgment.  A passing of the torch so to speak.  Sierra and Lucas Arts, our two favorite adventure game makers, are thru making adventure games.  They made them for our generation to enjoy, and if these games are to live on, it must be thru us that they do so.

Thank goodness for AGDI, and everyone here who's quest in life breathes the heart of adventure back into the world.

Radiant
Knight Status

#14 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:59 am

What I don't understand, is that if LucasArts officially state they not want to make adventure games any more, why are they cease-n-desisting fangames?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:04 am

Because that would hamper the potential to sell the IP to other interested parties.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

Re: We already knew they're scum...

#16 Post by Alias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:25 am

Bromios wrote:LEC have no further plans for adventure games.
I knew this would come, they already killed off 2 sequels that would of been really good, Lucas Arts was second best to Sierra, Lucas arts made some very good games I loved like the dig, indiana jones, sam and max...

They werent making adventure games anymore in the first place so I guess they just made it official.

Damn them all!
One is to restimulate the Star Wars IP with high quality games.
Restimulate? I think there are too many un-stimulating star wars games.

[quote=''jp-30'']...Face it - with LucasArts adventures dead, it's probably for the best that their adventure game IP stays dead too. ...

I totally agree, all of the old school developers are proberly gone and the new Lucas Art making an adventure game? They wouldent be able to make one without any extreme violence. So its a good thing they dont make any more, because they dont know how.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#17 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:35 pm

Sam & Max:Freelance Police clearly showed that they DO know how, they just refuse to.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:17 pm

LEts all get together and spam their forums!  :evil

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Like you didn't see this coming.

All of you bitching are wasting words.

It's all about the money, the product and not the art.  Get used to it.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Alias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:58 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:Like you didn't see this coming.

All of you bitching are wasting words.

It's all about the money, the product and not the art.  Get used to it.

Bt
Think we dont know that. And what about wasting time talking about long dead Sierra games? Theres a breath that could be used for something else yet we still chat about it.  :p

<awaits witty response from BT>

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:30 am

No,  we still talk of Sierra games.  We play them.  We minorly lament the loss of Sierra, but overall we don't go on "Screw Vivendi" tirades because it won't change anything.

LucasArts moved on to something different; they're too big and corporate now to make and release something innovative like Secret Of Monkey Island.  Leave that to smaller people.  It will happen.  

Bitching about it won't change a damn thing.  Here, it'll just produce some more ones..... and plenty of zeros.

Bt

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:16 am

Bt is right. ;)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#23 Post by Klytos » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:46 am

BT is always right.  :lol

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#24 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:15 am