Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#51 Post by Fribbi » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:19 pm

Fribbi wrote:
If you try to change clothes there you are kicked out from the game.

Maestro asked then:
Exactly what room are you in when this happens?  Exactly what do you type?  I have been unable to duplicate this problem, either with the saved game that you sent me or with my own saved games.
Fribbi answer the question:

I typed: "change clothes".

And I get this message before I am kicked out.

Set view(_,8):
view not loaded
Press ESC to quit

It happens on this place. (See picture)

Thank you, Fribbi, for your wonderful and most helpful error reports!
You are welcome. :D

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#52 Post by maestro » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:24 am

Reptile wrote:I must say this game is very fun.
I'm glad you like it!
Fribbi wrote:I typed: "change clothes".

And I get this message before I am kicked out.

Set view(_,8):
view not loaded
Press ESC to quit

It happens on this place. [East Beach]
Okay, I have verified this bug and will fix it on Monday.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#53 Post by Fribbi » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:56 pm

Well I found more error.

When I am up on tree where lantern are I can walk on thin air without falling.

And on the mountain near the beach you can walk on the brown side when you walk from right to left.

You can also walk on snow when you walk from left to right.

Here are pictures  I marked again with the red circle to show you where that happens.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

I know the game happen when Alexander was just a reborn baby but he appeared as a adult man in the beggining when he makes love with Valanice. Can you explain for me why?

In this time I could fill in all 10 bottles but I am still stuck in the same place. I know there is suppose to be a ship there but there no ship coming to rescue Valanice from the beach. I found the lantern. So what else is missing?

And btw there was no dead end sign appearing in this time. So I must have everything but still..I don't know what to do next.

Is there any way to get that mushroom in Daventry and the bucket from the well or shall I just leave it where it is?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#54 Post by Alias » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:53 pm

You did a nice job with the EGA graphics, maestro.  ;)

I've done a lot of AGI background art myself, worked on SQVM. I've done some nifty work if I do say so myself.  :p

MAybe I could help you in future KQ fan titles you have lined up.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#55 Post by maestro » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:49 am

Fribbi wrote:When I am up on tree where lantern are I can walk on thin air without falling.
I have verified this and will fix this on Monday.
Fribbi wrote:And on the mountain near the beach you can walk on the brown side when you walk from right to left.

You can also walk on snow when you walk from left to right.
I'll take a look at these tomorrow, but if they're only minor glitches I may just leave them there.  I really don't have the time to fix every minor glitch.  But feel free to report them anyway.
Fribbi wrote:I know the game happen when Alexander was just a reborn baby but he appeared as a adult man in the beggining when he makes love with Valanice. Can you explain for me why?
Huh?  This game is Kings Quest 2¼, not Oedipus the King.  The adult male in the intro is King Graham, not Alexander.  That scene is a childbirth scene, not a sex scene.

The sprite for Graham is VIEW.172 from KQ4.  I've just realized that, in KQ4, it was an Alexander sprite and not a Graham sprite.  I'll just have to change the color of his clothing so that no one mistakenly thinks that this is a story about incest.  (I hope that Sierra didn't read the original quote and plan to send me a C&D for putting incest into Kings Quest.)

BTW, the Valanice sprite in the intro was based on a sprite for Rosella in KQ4, but I changed the color of her dress to make her Valanice.  I neglected to do the same for Graham, but I'll do that to avoid any further confusion.
Fribbi wrote:I know there is suppose to be a ship there but there no ship coming to rescue Valanice from the beach. I found the lantern. So what else is missing?
Well, you've found the lantern.  Have you figured out what to use it for?

Another hint:[spoiler]To avoid most dead ends, some events in the game are triggered--in other words, they won't occur until some other, often unrelated event, occurs first.  In this case, you do not use the lantern to signal a ship; you use it for something else, which is a trigger for another event that needs to take place in order for Valanice to leave the island.[/spoiler]
Fribbi wrote:Is there any way to get that mushroom in Daventry and the bucket from the well or shall I just leave it where it is?
There is no way to get the bucket from the well.  You do not need the mushroom to complete the game or to get the maximum score.  There is a way to get the mushroom, but it is an Easter egg only.

Hint to getting the mushroom:[spoiler]In the original KQ1, there were two ways to get the mushroom.  One involved riding the condor.  The other involved exploiting a bug in the game that was never fixed.  As an Easter egg, I have left the bug from KQ1 in this game.  You must exploit the bug to get the mushroom.[/spoiler]
Reptile wrote:You did a nice job with the EGA graphics, maestro.
Thanks for the compliment!  Actually, almost none of the graphics are mine; nearly all of them were taken from other Sierra games, as I'm sure you realize.
Reptile wrote:Maybe I could help you in future KQ fan titles you have lined up.
What type of help did you have in mind?  Drawing the graphics?  Scripting the game?

The next one that I had in mind to do is KQ2½:  Kingdom of Sorrow.  I have recently finished reading the novel.  Have you read this novel?

My ability to draw backgrounds is practically zero, which is why I took the backgrounds from other games.  The stage and the curtain in the opening shot I drew myself, but that was nearly all straight lines.  If I did the graphics for KQ2½ it would be very crude and boxy, so if you wanted to do that, it would be great.

In reality, though, I doubt that I'll have time to do KQ2½ any time soon, as in the next few years.  If you wanted to do it, you could post it on my site.  Or, how about if you do it, and I help.   :)

(I hope this answer doesn't violate the ban on recruiting.  If it does, mods, please feel free to delete this answer.)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#56 Post by Alias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:55 am

If you want to make a proper game, I could help you out with VGA like graphics, if you can do the ptogramming, I'll do the backgrounds.

I never got any novels about KQ because they were so expensive. Maybe you could scane it for me?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#57 Post by maestro » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:24 pm

You can buy Kingdom of Sorrow for only $1.95 plus shipping.

If I work on the games, I want KQ2½ and KQ2 3/4 to be built using AGI, and KQ4½ using SCI.  The reason is that that is how they would be built if Sierra had done them.

With AGI the backgrounds are vector images which must be drawn with a utility called PicEdit.  You cannot simply scan in an image and convert it to a bitmap.  PicEdit is not particularly easy to use, and it requires toggling between two different screens to get the depth and boundries correct.

If you, or anyone else, want to write the game entirely yourself using AGS or any other engine, then you can post it on my site, but if I'm involved I want it done using AGI, for the reasons stated above.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#58 Post by Alias » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:52 pm

Thats okay, my hands are full at the moment, I'll keep you posted.  ;)

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#59 Post by maestro » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 pm

I have uploaded a new version which corrects the following errors:

1.  Valanice can no longer walk on air when climbing a tree.

2.  You no longer get the "View not found" error when changing clothes.

3.  In the intro, King Graham is now based on VIEW.174 from KQ4, so that he will no longer be confused with Alexander (or King Oedipus).

Since AGI is limited to 16 colors, it is often difficult to have enough colors to form contrasts between different objects.  In KQ1, KQ2, and KQ3, King Graham has yellow skin and an orange shirt, whereas Valanice, Alexander, and Rosella all have orange skin.  In KQ4, King Graham has orange skin and a red shirt.

In this game, I used the KQ1 sprite for Graham, except in the intro, where I used the KQ4 sprite.  The nursery was taken from KQ4, which used larger sprites than the previous games, so, in order to make the proportions correct, I needed to use the larger KQ4 sprites.  This was also good, because, in the larger sprites, King Graham's skin is orange, not yellow.  I gave the infants yellow skin so that they could be distingushed while being held by their parents.

Previously, I had King Graham wearing Alexander's magenta shirt, which contrasted nicely with the red umbilical cords.  Since the KQ4 King Graham has orange skin, his shirt must be red to provide contrast.  The result of this is that the umbilical cords can no longer be distinguished against his red shirt.  However, only a small portion of each umbilical cord is in front of his shirt, so the loss is not great.  This was necessary to do to avoid any confusion that may arise over his identity.

Radiant
Knight Status

#60 Post by Radiant » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:00 am

For the record, AGIv3 supports 16-color GIF files. That would make drawing a lot easier (and increase disk size somewhat but who cares about that these days :) ). Used in Gold Rush (among others, probably) - some of the PIC resources are GIFs.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#61 Post by maestro » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:09 pm

Can you point to any documentation so that I can read up on this.  How does a GIF file support both a visual screen and a priority screen?  And what year did AGIv3 come out?  In order to use it in the games that I have proposed, it would have to have come out before KQ3.

Radiant
Knight Status

#62 Post by Radiant » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:00 pm

It doesn't - it's visual only. That's the crux. But it has its use in cutscenes. I'd try googling AGI studio if I were you. Oh, and KQ3 was made in AGIv2, but you're just arbitrarily sticking to that standard anyway, because you're not distributing your game on 360kb disks either ;)

Khalon
Peasant Status

#63 Post by Khalon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:10 am

If you want help with PicEdit, I ran into this site when randomly browsing game pages and instantly thought of this thread. I know nothing about the program, or really your knowledge of it, so maybe this is no help, but I thought I'd post it.

http://www.agidev.com/articles/a.php?id=24

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#64 Post by Fribbi » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:36 pm

I am still stuck on the beach. I have tried to type "light lantern" and "rub lantern" but nothing happens.

I admit I am not good in parser game as I was before.

I saw you haven't fix that  error I found for you wich is near the open cave where you find the man'clothes.

I have also always forgot to tell you about the error wich happens near the locked cave door in Daventry. You can get stuck if you walk behind it.

But I need hint how to get from this beach so I can continue to find more errors for you.

About that easter egg with the mushroom.
Will I get a scorepoints if I get that mushroom and give it to poor couple?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#65 Post by maestro » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:44 pm

Fribbi wrote:I am still stuck on the beach. I have tried to type "light lantern" and "rub lantern" but nothing happens.
There is only one room in the game where you can light the lantern, and that is the room where you will be using the lantern.  Think of what purpose a lantern serves (remember, it is not used as a signal in this game), and you will have figured out what room to use the lantern in.
Fribbi wrote:I saw you haven't fix that  error I found for you wich is near the open cave where you find the man'clothes.
That was more or less intentional.  That scene was, of course, drawn for KQ3.  The narrow path leading into the cave was wide enough for Alexander to pass through, but it was too narrow for Valanice to fit through, so I had to remove one of the boundry lines.  I don't see any problem with Valanice walking on the snow, so I intend to leave it that way.
Fribbi wrote:I have also always forgot to tell you about the error wich happens near the locked cave door in Daventry. You can get stuck if you walk behind it.
I'll look into it.
Fribbi wrote:Will I get a scorepoints if I get that mushroom and give it to poor couple?
No.  You will get no points for getting the mushroom, eating it, giving it to the couple, or doing anything else with it.  But it is a very funny Easter egg.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#66 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:28 pm

so, i'm enjoying it, but i can't find the key or the flint of which you speak.  i suck at games, i really do.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#67 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Have you found the knife?  The key is not far away.  Then try to figure out what the key is for and you will locate the flint.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#68 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:24 pm

[spoiler]i've looked on the bed, under the bed, under the rug, under the table, can't find the blasted key.  i'm dumb, i know.[/spoiler]

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#69 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Hint #1:[spoiler]In just about every adventure game that I've played, a key is found is one and only one place.  Where would that be?[/spoiler]

Hint #2:[spoiler]Keep in mind that, although the room may look like one of the rooms from KQ1, I've made subtle changes to the room.[/spoiler]

Hint #3:[spoiler]What did you have to do in order to get the bottles and the breast pump?[/spoiler]

Hint #4:[spoiler]If you were King Graham or Queen Valanice, where would you keep the key so that you could get to it quickly if something happened in the middle of the night that required your immediate attention?[/spoiler]

Hint #5:[spoiler]Take a look at the night stand next to the bed.  What do you suppose that is for?[/spoiler]

And if you still haven't figured it out, here's the solution:[spoiler]Type "open drawer," then type "get key."[/spoiler]

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#70 Post by Fribbi » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:32 pm

I still haven't found the room I'm supposed to use that lantern. Please help me with this maestro. What am I suppose to write when I have to use that lantern?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#71 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:01 pm

Hint:[spoiler]You need to use the lantern in a dark place.[/spoiler]

Spoiler #1:[spoiler]You need to use the lantern in one of the caves.[/spoiler]

Spoiler #2:[spoiler]Type either "light lantern" or "strike flint with knife."  Try each cave typing "look cave."  When you get the object that is in one of the caves, look at the object by typing "look" followed by the name of the object, or by pressing F4 and using the arrow keys to highlight the name of the object and then pressing ENTER.[/spoiler]

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#72 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:08 am

bug - when i climb down from the waterfall after finding the object in the cave, the screen starts going all kaputza on me and it doesn't let me progress.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#73 Post by maestro » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 am

Can you take a screenshot and e-mail me a saved game from right before it happens so that I can take a look at it.

Most likely, it's just a memory overflow.  Does anyone on this forum have any advice on fixing memory overflows in AGI?  It happened to me several times while writing and testing the game.  What should I do to prevent this from happening?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#74 Post by Fribbi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:02 pm

bug - when i climb down from the waterfall after finding the object in the cave, the screen starts going all kaputza on me and it doesn't let me progress.

maestro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you take a screenshot and e-mail me a saved game from right before it happens so that I can take a look at it.

Most likely, it's just a memory overflow.  Does anyone on this forum have any advice on fixing memory overflows in AGI?  It happened to me several times while writing and testing the game.  What should I do to prevent this from happening?

Here is this error buggy picture for you pals. This error only happens if you have already been there before. But I am still stuck on the beach. How can I leave from the beach. I already got the pick now so what is next?

And if I forgot the lantern thing or anything else from Daventry and want to back and climb down from that mountain near the locked cave I just fall down and die. Why?

I found another bug. Do you remember when I told you when I walk on that left area and got stuck. It has a new bug because when I tried to go there I am suddenly transported in middle of screen. You will understand me when you try it out.

I don't know if this is a bug but I don't loose any points when I drop milk when I am nearly falling off the mountain but after 3 or 4 mistakes  I will loose points.Why?

And I have one question now. Why does that shark near the beach never eat me or kill me? I mean I can swim without being attacked from that shark.Why? (I remember I was eaten by those sharks in the old kq2 and 3 questgame Are they suddenly now a harmless creature in your game  :lol ?)

Last edited by Fribbi on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#75 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:21 pm

thanks Fribbi - i definetly wouldn't have figured out how to do the screenshot thing myself.  (steffi = very computer stupid)