We already knew they're scum...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#26 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:57 pm

Jafar wrote:Except for when he's wrong. :p
Which is totally right.

I mean... correct.

Bt

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#27 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:09 am

Reptile wrote:LEts all get together and spam their forums!  :evil
That really isn't what I meant! Besides, I already did that a long time ago.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 am

Boogeyman wrote:
Reptile wrote:LEts all get together and spam their forums!  :evil
That really isn't what I meant! Besides, I already did that a long time ago.
Lot of good that did.

Perhaps you should hone up your writing skills, animation skills and background drawing skills and get crackin' on your own game.

Instead of complaining, become pro-active.  There needs to be a new generation that will continue on traditions such as the LEC of old.  If something offends you, do something about it.

I don't complain about Sierra being dead; I started making my own games.  With a little time, practice and dicipline, one can do it.  Sure, you'll fail and fall a lot, but you're doing something.

Bt

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#29 Post by Swift » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:13 am

Well said, Bt!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Alias » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:51 pm

I was joking about the forum spamming.  |I

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#31 Post by Klytos » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:42 am

Sierra's not dead. Read the disclaimer on this site.  :D

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#32 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:51 am

Perhaps not Klytos, but it's dead to us!!!! >:  :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#33 Post by Gronagor » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 am

Anyone have some spare cash somewhere? Just imagine holding the rights for Monkey Island and Sam&Max.  :p

Radiant
Knight Status

#34 Post by Radiant » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:44 am

Ooh, it would be totally cool if we would put a small company together (legally speaking) and then licensed the Monkey Island rights from Lucasarts in exchange for, say, 75% of the profits.

And then make a freeware game.

:D

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#35 Post by Alias » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:35 am

I'd rather get the QFG rights.  :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Radiant wrote:Ooh, it would be totally cool if we would put a small company together (legally speaking) and then licensed the Monkey Island rights from Lucasarts in exchange for, say, 75% of the profits.

And then make a freeware game.

:D
That's SO not a bad idea....heheh.

Bt

Aspetra
Peasant Status

#37 Post by Aspetra » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:12 pm

I think the reasoning behind the decision for company's dropping off the strictly adventure genre is because of the fact you cannot cash in on Adventure games as much as if you were to release a action adventure game.

Most of today's population wants games that are pushing graphics close to or beyond current capabilitys. The average person walking through the game aisle in a electronic store sees two games - Monkey Island 5 (A game which most of today's hardcore gamers have never seen or heard of.) or Star Wars Elite Arms, made up name. (A widely known universe)
Which one is that gamer going to pick up?
The game that is 5 games deep into a seris and they won't have a clue about what is going on.
Or the game that everyone knows what it is about, the universe the setting etc etc...
It makes practical sense to a established company.

However I am very pro-adventure, and I do beleive there is still a market out there for this type of genere. It is very sad to see Lucas Arts move in the opposite direction of this.

What we really need is a fresh new world, with support behind it, that and lots of new innovation behind the game engine that will bring forward new things never attempted to refresh the adventure genre. Which is why I got my fingers crossed for Himalaya Studios, hopfully they all realize these key things and work towards that type of goal. If done correctly you might see a new interest from major developers again if it is proven there is still money to be made in this catergory.

That is what Sierra was trying to do with King's Quest 8. (However they went a little too far away from the adeventure idea.) And the last Quest for Glory.

Anyways this is now close to a speech. I better stop.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#38 Post by Alias » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:19 pm

The problem is There arent enough adventure game lovers. Otherwise they would be making it if the genre sold.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#39 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:52 am

Reptile wrote:The problem is There arent enough adventure game lovers. Otherwise they would be making it if the genre sold.

SURE there aren't! Clearly, you have not looked at the petition for Sam & Max:Freelance Police.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#40 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:33 am

Boogeyman wrote:
Reptile wrote:The problem is There arent enough adventure game lovers. Otherwise they would be making it if the genre sold.

SURE there aren't! Clearly, you have not looked at the petition for Sam & Max:Freelance Police.
30,000 is NOTHING compared to the millions that bought Halo 2, Half Life 2 and San Andreas.

Reptile is correct not enough people buy adventure games.

Broomie
The Enigma

#41 Post by Broomie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:36 pm

After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC
Mike Nelson was speaking "Luc" Speak when he said that. What he meant to say was:

After the dismal sales of Escape from Monkey Island, we've decided there arn't enough people who would buy Sam and Max 2 and we want to make alot of money.

Angelus & Reptile are correct, there just isn't enough adventure fans. Not one person in my year, except for some girl has even heard of the Quest games, a few have heard of Monkey Island. It just sucks. First Person Shitters are the way to go now.

OmegaDog
Peasant Status

#42 Post by OmegaDog » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:12 pm

Bromios wrote:Angelus & Reptile are correct, there just isn't enough adventure fans. Not one person in my year, except for some girl has even heard of the Quest games, a few have heard of Monkey Island. It just sucks. First Person Shitters are the way to go now.
What would you say keeps Telltale Games going then?  For as idealistically as they talk about the adventure game genre, these people wouldn't have jumped out of LucasArts and made their own company if they didn't think they could pay the bills off of the act, no?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:18 pm

Yes for a small company, they can pay the bills.

A larger company like LucasArts has to look into moving units by the Millions - which won't happen in Adventure games.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#44 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:01 pm

Telltale games will be lucky to break even if they release Sam n Max 2 plus can they make a really good Sam n Max on the budget a small company has? Could they make it really good if they did have a big budget?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#45 Post by Alias » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:00 pm

Maybe one day someone will open a small company, who knows maybe someone in this community might end up making their own small company and making adventure game with todays technologie, not the same old point and click games, those get boring after the 20th game with the same interface. They are good, dont get me wrong, but they can not compare to todays standrds, Gosh I'd be happy with a game like Jedi Outcast the graphics were very good but not as good as HL2 or Farcry. Man I really need to work on my 3D skills and who knows what could happen.  :\

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#46 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:40 pm

Um, you do know about Himalaya Studios, right? They're a small company making their own adventure game with today's technology.

Broomie
The Enigma

Independance

#47 Post by Broomie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:48 pm

OmegaDog wrote:
Bromios wrote:Angelus & Reptile are correct, there just isn't enough adventure fans. Not one person in my year, except for some girl has even heard of the Quest games, a few have heard of Monkey Island. It just sucks. First Person Shitters are the way to go now.
What would you say keeps Telltale Games going then?  For as idealistically as they talk about the adventure game genre, these people wouldn't have jumped out of LucasArts and made their own company if they didn't think they could pay the bills off of the act, no?
BT covered the bills. I'll do the other stuff.

Did I say there were no adventure fans? I said there were little in comparison to FPS fans or Driving Games fans. Yes there are alot of adventure gaming fans, I would say 1/6 of every adventure fan in the world signed that Sam n Max 2 petition. Not even that! There are alot. The thing is, there isn't enough. Lucasarts and Sierra knew this and just killed that genre, because they're greedy bastards (well not really Sierra) who just want to make a game with a mediocre plot where it's basically killing lots of "crappily" coded AI soldiers and not trust the sales of adventure games after the disappointment of their last adventure games. C'mon, EFMI and KQ7 weren't exactly crowd pleasers were they?

Yet, there is hope. Groups like Telltale and Bad Brain, realize that there are adventure gamers out there who need games but just aren't getting any. This is how I feel about adventure games, people are making all these games for the action/FPS fan gamers whilst not many people are making games for the adventure fans. We get a few adventure games but not enough. TT understand this and want to fix this problem. If they do well and their game "Bonez" is a success, more groups will *hopefully* start making more adventure games and we will eventually be back baby! Yet, all I'm putting on the line here is hope. It would be great to discuss adventure games at school with my friends, and not have to pretend to enjoy our hourly conversations at how great GTA: SA is.

Then we have our indies. C'mon, look at the amount of fans who have contributed to making adventure games. I could pinpoint you to a few sites (this one pretty much springs to mind) and you'll see how amazing our adventure fan community really is. Alot of us understand we get a limited amount of adventure games every year. So, Plan B is... make our own! Please the fans whilst we wait! Just inspiration and knowing how much the fans will appriciate this just gets their head down to work. That's all it took! Independance. Then you see how much they'll do to make this game! KQ9 is a good example of how much they're willing to do to give to the fans just to see a smile on their face.

My point is, there are alot of adventure fans, just not enough when compared to the bigger genre fanbases. This is why we sort of get neglected when it comes to new games. If they just gave Sam and Max 2 a chance, then we wouldn't be in this predicament. What predicament you ask? The one we're in now, where we truely think the adventure genre is dead. When, in my opinion, it's beginning again.

My prediction is, 2006 will be the year when adventure games are the big thing again. Just like in 1986 when adventure games started getting popular. By 2018, they'll be dead again. Yet 2026... who knows? I actually doubt it coming back again because by then we're either all dead or we have much more exciting things to do than to play adventure games when probably we could play the protagonist ourselves. Then again I'm just chatting crap.

Well, those are my two pence.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#48 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:45 am

Um, you do know about Himalaya Studios, right? They're a small company making their own adventure game with today's technology.
While the Himalaya game is more advanced (graphically), I wouldn't say "today's technology" because that would insinuate the use of the latest 3D engines and HL2-like surroundings.