King's Quest V

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Have you completed KQV?

Yes, I've completed it all on my own.
31%
Yes, but I required hints or a walkthrough.
62%
No, I tried it on my own but didn't make it.
7%
No, I used hints or walkthrough and it still didn't work.
No votes

Total votes: 55

Radiant
Knight Status

King's Quest V

#1 Post by Radiant » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:31 am

A poll about a game that is simultaneously one of Sierra's most beloved, and one of Sierra's most hated.

(ignore if you've never played it)

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:34 pm

I did  it all on my own. The desert and labyrinth were murder though.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:11 am

First time I've completed it on my own... second time I kept getting stuck! THEN I had to acquire a walkthrough.

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Amayirot Akago » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:24 am

I played it for the first time on my own a while back. I still remembered what to do where from watching my brother play it years ago. I still remember those days... constantly living in fear, not knowing when he was going to die and terrify me again. Especially Mordack used to scare the living crap out of me when he strangled Graham. *shudder* But I digress...

Agreed though, the desert was brutal. Really, Roberta needs a good smack in the face for ever coming up with something like that.

Broomie
The Enigma

#5 Post by Broomie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:33 pm

Radiant: I believe you missed one out.

No, the game crashes on me right near the end after I defeat Mordack. :P

I used a walkthrough when I played KQ5. It must be impossible to complete it without just abit of help. Who in their right mind would have guessed straight away that you had to throw the boot at the cat?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:41 pm

I dunno Broomie, I agree but when KQ5 first came out my parents played it and I remebered them making a map of the desert and everything just by walking and dying etc

So it can be done you just have to live in a time when there was no such thing as walkthroughs lol!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#7 Post by Swift » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:22 pm

KQ5 was the very first adventure game I played. I had no idea how to play adventure games back then, and was stuck in the town. My friend gave me spoilers in the early areas where I was stuck. I never did complete the game that time, and many years later I tried it again without a walkthrough. I made it all the way on my own until I reached the maze underground. My computer screen wasn't very helpful and I couldn't see very much, so I had to rely on a map I found online in order to navigate. I didn't need help after that.

Radiant
Knight Status

#8 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:25 pm

Angelus3K wrote:So it can be done you just have to live in a time when there was no such thing as walkthroughs lol!
Of course it can be done, someone has to write all those walkthroughs in the first place. But this pretty much proves my point, doesn't it?

(yes, I know a dozen people isn't anywhere near statistically valid. But otoh the people here are significantly more intelligent and certainly more trained in adventure gaming than the average person).

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#9 Post by Klytos » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:43 am

I finished it without a walkthrough. In fact, I found it one of Sierra's easier games, at least compared with Camelot and KQ6.

The boot and the cat thing though, that was pretty obvious, being as it's taken from a nursery rhyme.  :lol

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 am

Yeah... and how many cartoons of Garfield included a cat being thrown off the fence with a boot! :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#11 Post by Broomie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:54 am

Well it's pretty fast, perhaps because I'm playing it on faster machines that it's displayed fast.

Okay I must admit it can be done without a walkthrough, but they must have saved every second and used different directories.

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#12 Post by PotatoSlayer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:16 am

I NEVER use walkthroughs i just couldn't live with myself if i did...besides it's a waste of money to buy something if you're just gonna cheat...whenever i get stuck in a game i just ask myself what i would have made the solution if i had made the game

Fender178
Knight Status

#13 Post by Fender178 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:17 pm

I have done both I have completed kq5 with a walkthrough to just get through the game. I have completed it with out a walkthrough because I have good memorization skills on what to do.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#14 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:14 am

I remember needing a walkthrough (or rather, hint manual) to complete KQ5. I wish I could verifiy how nonsensical the puzzles are but my disks are so old that the data are corrupted.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#15 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:10 pm

Even with a walkthrough it took me a while to beat because of the "Out of [cheese] hunk" error.   :rolleyes

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#16 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:18 pm

Jafar wrote:I did  it all on my own. The desert and labyrinth were murder though.
I agree, you said it all.  Those were the hardest parts, the desert was the worst/most frustrating part for me.  I did it all on my own, but for my own sanity I probably should have used hints for the desert.

Jawbone
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Jawbone » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:32 pm

I managed to beat the game on my own, and it was done on the NES. My one friend at the time who did it had a map of the desert, and I used it. It only pointed out key locations, not what to do, so I don't consider it against my claim. It would've happened eventually which would've resulted with my own map, and lots of frustration, and doesn't matter now since I wouldn't do anything like that nowadays. Insanity over walkthroughs is my motto. The blue beast scared the heck out of me and I actually had nightmare about him when I was little.

Cerberus
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Cerberus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm

I was young, I had hint manuels and books about the entire series.  I had to beat them and I only used the hints when I was stuck.  I remember the desert but I don't remember the labrynth.  I thought the labrynth was in 6?  But with these two updated version, I'm alot more.....um....wiser I guess you could say and did the first two without any cheating.  Looking back when I was younger I wish I never used those books, I could've got a lot more out of those games if I just worked my way through them, but alas, I LOVED THE SERIES AND WISH THERE WERE NEWER ONES.  Get AGD's to make a remake of the third one, that's the only one I've NEVER played!

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#19 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:58 am

gamecreator
Knight Status

#20 Post by gamecreator » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Ghost_Rider wrote:
Jafar wrote:I did  it all on my own. The desert and labyrinth were murder though.
I agree, you said it all.  Those were the hardest parts, the desert was the worst/most frustrating part for me.  I did it all on my own, but for my own sanity I probably should have used hints for the desert.
Not hints.  A map.  If you just draw out what's where it's quite straightforward.  Yeah, you die quite a bit but that's just how that "puzzle" was designed.

shivrani
Peasant Status

#21 Post by shivrani » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I was about nine years old when I first played Kq5. I played it together with my brother, who is younger than me( it really scared the s*** out of us at times!!). We had no walkthrough (they didn't exist at that time!)

We kept losing, starting all over again and again, until our older brother got us some hints from a schoolmate :)

Now I can play it through without using my brain lol :rollin

It is my favourite game of all. I love the atmosphere it creates and the soundtrack is brilliant.

But it is one of the hardest games I have ever played. The yeti scene for instance. It took me ages to come up with the idea to throw a cake at the yeti and you have to be pretty quick in doing so too!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#22 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:23 pm

I hated the labryinth (coincidentally I loved the Jim Hensen film by the same name) and actually most of the castle scenes. I loved the desert though. Loved! it was my favorite part of the game to draw the map. The trick was to use graph paper, we would mark an X on an empty screen and an O where there was water. Using the top three squares in the top right corner of the page you mark the semi town screens like the grass by the gypsy cart. Again I was five and this was one of the few puzzles I could do on my own so I adored it. When you finally get to the raiders to it really reminded me of Aladdin and I remember spending all my time looking for lamps and carpets before getting evicerated in my search each time. Later when watching Indiana Jones for the first time I laughed at the resemblances. The part I hated most was the dead end (though didn't take me long to fix) and the frozen peas puzzle.

haradan
Knight Status

#23 Post by haradan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Back in those days, drawing maps and saving every couple of screens was a natural thing to do, because Sierra games where designed like that. The only way of finding out what to do was to die and die and die ad infinitum. So the desert part was a pretty standard puzzle for me, and the labyrinth was no problem since it's not possible to die in there, IIRC, you just need to draw your map and you´ll find that big monster sooner or later.

I guess that if you haven't played the previous 4 king's quests (which actually had circular worlds, making them more difficult) you might get surprised and frustrated at this kind of puzzle solving, but back in 1990 there was no internet or walkthroughs and still most people were happy with getting stuck evry now and then. It was part of it all.

haradan
Knight Status

#24 Post by haradan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say that yes, with patience, I finished it on my own, although I could only watch the final scene many years after, since the game always got frozen in my 286 PC right after Cedric comes back to life, I had to upgrade my computer to get the game running smoothly and watch the end!  :(