Question about King's Quest V, maybe some one knows a bit...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

Question about King's Quest V, maybe some one knows a bit...

#1 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:23 pm

... more about this. While playing King's Quest V, I noticed something odd: when Graham is captured by some giant bird in the mountains you see a village in the foreground just before Graham is dropped in the bird's nest. The strange thing is that the village doesn't play any role in the game. Is this some bright idea that never got used or is it some sort of reference to something? Any way, here is a screen shot: Image

Any one knows what the village mentioned above is doing there?

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:54 pm

... You know I never though of that. And as soon as I saw that tall mountain, I immediately thought of this.

Heh, just a guess though. That would be interesting though if it was perhaps true.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:59 pm

I think if I were drawing a background scene like that I might add in a little town. Why does it have to mean something?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:23 am

That town was for a planned sequence that ended up being cut out of KQ5.  The bird dropped you off there and you had to undertake some tasks in town to get a guide down the mountain.  It was cut for time and pacing reasons.

[spoiler]Oh, I'm making all this up.  I think it's just there because it's THERE, man.[/spoiler]
Bt

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#5 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:41 am

I immediately thought of this. . . .  That would be interesting though if it was perhaps true.
The mountain cannot be in Llewdor.  According to Peter Spear's King's Quest Companion, Serenia and Llewdor are on different islands.  Serenia is on the same island as Daventry, whereas Llewdor is on the same island as Tamir.  And we know that Daventry and Llewdor are on different islands because Alexander had to travel by ship from Llewdor to Daventry.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:44 am

I've always wondered that myself...it just seems so strange to have it there for no reason. I guess that's all they did it for, but it just sticks out for some reason. Oh well.

adeyke

#7 Post by adeyke » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:03 am

Perhaps the village was added to help give the scene a greater sense of majesty and immensity, by providing scale.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#8 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:33 pm

it's just there because it's THERE, man.
I thought of that myself as well, but that seems like a poor reason. BTW: does it bother you that I asked if any one here knows what that village is all about?
Perhaps the village was added to help give the scene a greater sense of majesty and immensity, by providing scale.
That could be, but if that's true they did a poor job of showing this. It looks like a village with really small buildings instead of a village that's deep down below you...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:02 pm

Yes, maybe. But then again, you can only do so much with 320x240 res.

Broomie
The Enigma

#10 Post by Broomie » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:09 pm

fluxmaster wrote:
I immediately thought of this. . . .  That would be interesting though if it was perhaps true.
The mountain cannot be in Llewdor.  According to Peter Spear's King's Quest Companion, Serenia and Llewdor are on different islands.  Serenia is on the same island as Daventry, whereas Llewdor is on the same island as Tamir.  And we know that Daventry and Llewdor are on different islands because Alexander had to travel by ship from Llewdor to Daventry.
Right you are, I've never read the KQ Companion.

It's better off not actually pondering yourself on what it could be. It's just background art, that's all it is. My bets anyway.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:57 pm

MI, I think you meant to say:
MusicallyInspired wrote:Yes, maybe. But then again, you can only do so much with 320x200 res.
;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:36 pm

Peter Swinkels wrote:
I thought of that myself as well, but that seems like a poor reason. BTW: does it bother you that I asked if any one here knows what that village is all about?
Oh my god, certainly not!  I thought it was a great question; it's a good discussion platform - my line "it's just there because it's THERE, man." was meant to be read like some stoner talking about God's existance.  It was a joke.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:12 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:
Peter Swinkels wrote:
Oh my god, certainly not!  I thought it was a great question; it's a good discussion platform - my line "it's just there because it's THERE, man." was meant to be read like some stoner talking about God's existance.  It was a joke.

Bt
I got the joke.