Interesting thing I noticed about King's Quest III

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

Interesting thing I noticed about King's Quest III

#1 Post by Renodox » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:47 pm

In every adventure game I've played I've noticed that there are beds and chairs but you can never actually use them.  As far as I know, Kings Quest III is the only game that actually allows you to sit down and sleep during the game!  What's wierd is that this is also the only game I know of that you have the time limit in the way that the wizard is always watching you.  Is there any other adventure game that you have these options?

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by Def Zeppelin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:59 pm

Time limits are annoying.

In day of the tentacle you can sit in a bed for a second.

Radiant
Knight Status

#3 Post by Radiant » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:31 pm

Games with time limits are plentiful (e.g. Space Quest, Future Wars, and Enchanter if you count that).

Games where you can interact with chairs and beds, less so... I'd nominate the Ultima 6 series, for one. However, in Larry you can sit around a bit, and in Police Quest as well.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#4 Post by Klytos » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:40 am

Quest for Glory 2 had time limits when dealing with the elementals.

The Avatar
Knight Status

beds and chairs

#5 Post by The Avatar » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:09 am

Well, obviously in the qfg series you could opt to camp for the night.. and you could sit at the chair in the inn in qfg1..

In Robin Hood, what is it called.. longbow?  you could use your bed in the cave to sleep each night - but it wasn't fully interactive, i think you could only sleep when you entered the cave each night.

In The Longest Journey you could sit at park benches.. she'd sit down.. get bored and stand up again.  Oh, and she sat down on the couch at the cafe.. And again you would go to her bed at night.. but you couldn't use it until night fell.

In the Neverhood you use a stool, but you don't sit on it, you push it around and stand on it.  You could tell Klayman to sit down in the cockpit chair of the canon, which you could do over and over again until you completed that quest, along with the couple vehicles he rode around in.  I know that if you left the mouse alone for long enough, he'd automatically laydown and fall asleep, but there weren't any beds to interact with that I recall.

I want to say World of Warcraft.. because all chairs and beds are fully interactive in that game.. but it's officially an RPG.. (like Ultima series) And it seems RPGs in general have more interactive objects that aren't quest significant than adventure games.

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:33 pm

Leisure Suit Larry 5 - At the Airport, anyone?
Space Quest 6 - Sitting down to talk to Circuit Sid (I think that was his name)
Space Quest 6 - Obviously the chair you sit in when flying the ship.
Leisure Suit Larry 2 - I believe you can sleep in the bed in the cabin. I remember that because once I went to sleep in the game and Big Momma sat on me.
Leisure Suit Larry 6 - Sitting on the toilet (and if you have the right equipment, that other thing Larry can do)
Although Radient covered them, you can sit down in many places in Police Quest (your desk, the briefing ect) and in Leisure Suit Larry 1, let's not forget what you can do in the bed. ;)

There are quite a few games where you can interact with the chairs and beds.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#7 Post by fluxmaster » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:40 pm

In KQ4, the game takes place over 24 hours of game time, and you can check the time by going into the mansion and typing "time."  You must complete the tasks in the game before the time runs out.

Also in KQ4, you sit down on the bench to play the organ.

In KQ6, when you get the iceberg lettuce, you only have a certain amount of time to use it before it melts.

In KQ7, Valanice must lie down and go to sleep in Dr. Cadaver's bed in order to enter Dreamland.

In other games there are local time limits for completing certain events (e.g. you must act quickly to push the witch into the cauldron in KQ1), but I don't think that that's what you meant.

Radiant
Knight Status

#8 Post by Radiant » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:22 pm

Oh yeah! The infamous melting mug puzzle from TSOMI!