Silver Sphinx Studios - Game release!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#26 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:53 pm

Hey, whatever.  Enjoy the game.  I enjoyed helping make it.

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#27 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:09 pm

What apparently started as a feud between Cain and the IA team has now taken a turn for the surreal. Cain rants and raves that teams are merging, they say they aren't now it seems they are again. WTF?? I think this whole situation is too weird not to be an April Fool's joke. What I want to know is if AGDI was in on it. Maybe Cain's ranting and getting banned here was all part of the joke. Hell, maybe even the Hero6 spammer was in on it. It seems awfully convenient for their forums to go down just as the news of this merger breaks. And what about AGDI's suspiciously timed "birthday competition"? I can't see how the endgame will be played yet....

Scott
Peasant Status

#28 Post by Scott » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:28 pm

wait, you mean i've been working on a PRANK all this time!?!?!?  man!  i put a ridiculous amount of work into this!  gawd i hope it's not a prank.  cos fFuck me if it is!

Orion
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Orion » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:30 pm

I'm with Scott on this!

The Artful Dodger
Peasant Status

Silver Sphinx

#30 Post by The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:05 pm

Hmmm, Red herring?  Maybe I'm searching too far, but in France April Fool's is known as the Fish of April.  It is celebrated by hiding (paper) fish in a place where someone will find it as a prank.  

If not, great job to the four-five (?) teams that merged to make this instant classic.  It is now clear why you all spent countless hours creating such a shining example of pixitudinal pulchritude.

May your tomatoes be many and red.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#31 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:31 pm

The herring joke was a nod to "The Secret Of Monkey Island."

Bt

adeyke

#32 Post by adeyke » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:32 pm

Yay!  I won.

It's good to see that all the work that went into those projects finally paid off :).

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#33 Post by anathoth8 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Parhelion wrote:I think this could have been handled differently.  Why did everyone swear up and down the other day that this wasn't true?  It's a pretty small community here, and I imagine quite a few people are feeling disappointed or lied to.

Regardless, congratulations on getting the game released.  It looks very cool and very professional, and I'll download it later tonight.
Agreed. I can't claim to say I know what went on between Cain and the rest. But throwing around insults to counter "rumors" that eventully turn out to be true seems like the wrong course of action. Just a lot of unnecessary mud-slinging, in my mind.

I applaud those who took the high road (no names will be mentioned).

And congrats for getting a finished game out there. That's something that few fan projects manage to achieve, so good job.

Cain Aleksandrovich
Knight Status

#34 Post by Cain Aleksandrovich » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:43 pm

EDITED BY NAVYNUKE

Lucifiel
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Lucifiel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:24 pm

Parhelion wrote:I think this could have been handled differently.  Why did everyone swear up and down the other day that this wasn't true?  It's a pretty small community here, and I imagine quite a few people are feeling disappointed or lied to.

Regardless, congratulations on getting the game released.  It looks very cool and very professional, and I'll download it later tonight.
It isn't that we were trying to be unprofessional. :( It is because this game was meant to be a surprise for all our fans and the news about it was not supposed to be released until the right moment. Originally, the game had been scheduled to be released some time earlier. However, due to several members being busy with work, school, family life, etc., we were forced to pull back our schedules. All I can is that it really had actually been planned to be released some time ago.  :cry

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#36 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:39 am

Crap! I did IP ban him. He's probably using dial-up which changes IP address each time. As for getting past the screen-name banning, that baffles me. I'll email phpBB.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#37 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:02 am

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments. This whole thing just seemed really weird. Congrats on your game and I'm glad I was wrong!

PotatoSlayer
Knight Status

#38 Post by PotatoSlayer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:51 am

yeha i think it's a sweet game just been havin trouble finding the red herring

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#39 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:53 am

You've gotta love a game that has Disco Stu in it. :lol  :lol

Gav
Knight Status

#40 Post by Gav » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:45 am

It just occurred to me that Cain is probably actually in on the April Fools joke, but now I see that Charlemagne has already suggested that.

In any case, the game is a great way to showcase the art, and possibly characters, from the various games involved.

Scott
Peasant Status

#41 Post by Scott » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 am

I really appreciate people like Charlemagne's candid opinions.

I have to wonder what kind of psychopathic group of people would go to all the trouble of organizing ga team, building a game, writing a plot, composing music, art, puzzles, and programming, assembling a roadmap fFor a continuation of concept, registering DNS entries, building webpages and promotional videos and on and on and on...

that's a heckuva lot of work fFor a cheap prank.
Last edited by Scott on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gav
Knight Status

#42 Post by Gav » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:56 am

Not just a cheap prank; also a great way to promote the teams' individual games, and not a bad little game on its own.

Good work.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#43 Post by Klytos » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:15 am

I don't think that established groups like Hero6 would be involved in something bogus.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#44 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:18 am

Dude, I'm too lazy to finish a game.  It's just easier to have Gron, Coco and Brassfire do all the work.

We'll do more games.

Bt

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#45 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:26 pm

I am still confused... but nice game.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#46 Post by fluxmaster » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:42 pm

The game looks nice.

One thing you could have mentioned in the intro to the game is that elimination of tomtoes from the diet resulted in increased levels of prostate cancer among the general population.  Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is known to prevent prostate cancer.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#47 Post by JLM5 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 pm

Well, I have now played the game a few times (not yet completed), and it's not a bad game at all! The music is good and the voice acting is at least good enough! :)

Unfortunately, I must still criticize some things in the game:

- The style of backgrounds is not standardized at all, and that is the thing that annoys me mostly in the game. Yes, I know that game's graphics are made by assembling backgrounds from different projects. But the game's world doesn't feel very consistent now.

- In addition to previous post, the quality of backgrounds varies too frequently. For example, KQ3's beach and pier -background (at the start of game) is very blurred, but the screen with sign (from ATOK) is really professionally done.

- There are some illogical things that weaken game's atmosphere. Why the king's harem room (at the start of game) is a wooden cottage from outdoors, but when you walk in, it is revealed to be a big, shining hall?

- Why there are so many default AGS features used in the game? Like the plain, white text boxes? For me they just increase an "amateur" feeling of the game.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#48 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:03 pm

I've given the game a good run-through and I'm almost finished. I'm stuck on the last riddle, but I found the red herring. :lol I have to say, though, that I still think this whole thing is a hoax. It's a masterful hoax, but still a hoax. It must have been planned months in advance in order to have the time to write the dialogue, compose the music, choose the backgrounds, design the website, etc., etc.

The game itself is pretty funny but there are a couple of strange things about it. First, why do I have to choose a character type? My mage can't even cast spells and nowhere did the choice seem to matter with the puzzles. (Sparky was not happy. :lol) Second, why are the screens still named according to their former projects? Wouldn't a new team want to "re-brand" its existing art for the new game? As it is, the game is a great showcase for the participating teams' individual games.

What I can't figure out is how El Mariachi fits into all this. I figure either the IA team didn't let him in on the joke, he got really pissed off and decided to break the news of the "merger" out of spite, or he was in on it and pretended to break the news out of spite as a smokescreen to deflect attention away from the date on which it was officially announced (31 Mar). And what about his recent post here? Navynuke and Co. usually delete troublemakers' posts outright, but not this time. Instead we're left with a post that was "edited by Navynuke" and told that Cain somehow found a way around the ban. Wait a second!! Isn't that what the Hero6 spammer did? Wasn't Cain one of their suspects??

I know, I know. I think about these things way too much. ;)

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#49 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:42 pm

i can't get the game to run.  :(

Broomie
The Enigma

#50 Post by Broomie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:52 pm

What's wrong? What happens?