New around here...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fleur
Peasant Status

New around here...

#1 Post by Fleur » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi everyone,

first I wanna say a big THANK YOU to the AGDI team - your work is incredible! I used to be a huge KQ lover and I've always mourned the downfall of the classic adventure games. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled over your site with TWO entirely remade KQ games! Especially KQ2 stunned me. Boy did I ever have fun playing. And I don't wanna stop!

Since it's been a few years since I've played adventure games, I'm a bit lost on where to start looking for games. I've been browsing a bit on the forums, and I've heard that KQ3 and KQ9 are in the making. Where can I get any info on those or on any other kind of adventure games?

Also, I've dug out my copy of MoE which I never finished (don't kill me everyone, it's a terrible game but I kinda want to complete it anyway) and the game keeps crashing. Does anyone know a site where I can get help?

Thanks a lot and a happy new year! (a bit late, I know, but I just woke up ;) )

Cheers

Fleur

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#2 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:10 pm

Do you have the latest patch?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Alias » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:11 pm

MoE was a good game but QFG5 did a better job. Let me be the first to welcome you.  ;)

Fleur
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Fleur » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:17 pm

MoE automatically downloaded an upgrade when I installed it a few days ago...so I suppose it's up-to-date. Perhaps I should go looking for the patch though.

Unfortunately I've never been able to play any Sierra Games other than a few KQ games and some other small ones...SQ and QFG were impossible to get in Switzerland. Is there any way to get them now and will they work on XP?

Fleur

Radiant
Knight Status

#5 Post by Radiant » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:02 pm

The AGI games should work fine in XP. The SCI and in particular SCI/VGA games should not. For the latter I'd recommend DosBox (google it).
You can probably get all Sierra games here.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#6 Post by Senor Matt » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:31 am

Rog wrote:MoE was a good game but QFG5 did a better job. Let me be the first to welcome you.  ;)
:eek MoE a good game??? I'm sorry Rog but are you sure you're talking about Mask of Eternity here? King's Quest 8? Because that game absolutely sucked, it's probably the worst game Sierra ever came out with.

Jafar
Super Star

#7 Post by Jafar » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:07 am

MoE was a good game
Tell that to Storm. :evil

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Music Head » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:25 am

I can't play any old games like qfg or kq or sq on xp, not even half-life 1. I get this retarted message

16 bit MS-DOS subsystem

c:\games\KQ2\sierra.com
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Close / ignore

If i push ignore it closes anyway it's the samer with all my old games.

Never used to do this it started a while ago. Proberly i installed something that tryed to upgrade my system and did this instead.

Anyone know how to fix this prob?

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Music Head » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:35 am

oh fixed it lol, the fiel wasn't even there. I did a search and it found autoexec.nt in the windows repiar directory so i copy and paste and no i all work.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 am

Heh! The Autoexec.NT problem. :)

You'll have to put it on your desktop or somewhere. Every time you reboot or restart you'll have to paste it back into the system32 folder!

Fleur
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Fleur » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:03 am

To return to my question...is there a list somewhere about what's going on with the KQ games (by Sierra or other), official or inofficial? Or something like a kind of forum with tech and other help where people  exchange KQ ideas and experiences?

Or do I have to google them (painstaking work)? I'm especially interested in any remakes that are going on.

P.S.
And please people, I didn't want to start a discussion on whether MoE is a good game or not!  :\ I think this has already been thoroughly discussed... ;) )

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: New around here...

#12 Post by Broomie » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:52 am

Fleur wrote:....and I've heard that KQ3 and KQ9 are in the making. Where can I get any info on those or on any other kind of adventure games?
King's Quest III - http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3.html

King's Quest IX - http://www.kq9.org

Hope that helped. :)

Loeky
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Loeky » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:39 pm

If you want to know all about the old sierra adventures and the remakes take a look at my site. Here you find a list who is working on a remake.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~loeky

Flauschepelz
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Flauschepelz » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Fleur wrote:To return to my question...is there a list somewhere about what's going on with the KQ games (by Sierra or other), official or inofficial? Or something like a kind of forum with tech and other help where people exchange KQ ideas and experiences?
Try this forum:
http://www.queststudios.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
It's mostly about music from Sierra games, but you can ask other questions, too.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#15 Post by Klytos » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:37 pm

Welcome to the forums Fleur. Sit, stay a while, post a bit. We love new people.... :)

Jafar
Super Star

#16 Post by Jafar » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:42 pm

...Deep fried in chocolate sauce. :p

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Amayirot Akago » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:10 pm

And with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#18 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:31 am

I didn't think that MoE was all that a terrible game, but I was really dissapointed by it overall and I hated the game. It was not King's Quest in any way, and even the main character wasn't Graham or any of his family. I guess it shouldn't have been named 'King's Quest' but rather, 'save the kingdom of daventry again WITHOUT the royal family!' :P

Till next time stay cool 8)

Fleur
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Fleur » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:54 pm

Jafar wrote:...Deep fried in chocolate sauce. :p
...For my part I prefer old people roasted on a bbq fire with some nice spices... :p

Thanks for all the help guys, that was pretty much what I was looking for...cool site Loeky! The only thing missing now would be a MoE forum...

I've also discoverd the AGS site and boy is there ever a lot going on! Gotta stay tuned!

Cheers

Fleur

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by New England Patriots » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:25 am

Well Hi there....I may be at Peasent status, but I have been using this site for a loooooong time.  Its not that hard to get lots of posts here cuz there is always something to talk about.  But the only thing that reqires you to stay here, is to earn yous Custom title, which according to Braniac 1000 posts :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Misquoting and misspelling

#21 Post by Brainiac » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:32 am

New England Patriots wrote:But the only thing that reqires you to stay here, is to earn yous Custom title, which according to Braniac 1000 posts :p
Firstly, it's Brainiac, as in someone of intellect, not Braniac, as in someone obsessed with Kellogg's Raisin Bran.  Thank you very much. :D

Secondly, that's not what I said.  I said it's quality of posts that counts, not quantity.  1000 posts is just an arbitrary point at which it's common to get a custom title.  Several people here have no title with more than 1000 while several with less do have one.

Basically, if it's 1000 mostly meaningful posts, you're likely to get a title.  But in the end, it's at the discretion of Erpy, Navynuke, and Co.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#22 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:41 pm

This topic hadn't been posted in in nearly two months. Please don't resurrect old threads.