Thieving

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Asmodian
Peasant Status

Thieving

#1 Post by Asmodian » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:30 pm

I always wanted to steal mosre stuff mainly because in qg series what little thiving opportunities you had were so damn fun. Although I remember geting caught a few times in weapon shop as I refused to accept you just can not steal that armor and kept trying to type difrent things to get hiom to grab it. Anyway was wondering if you will be adding any thiving experiences to the game :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:13 pm

I doubt it. The point list will remain the same, so there's not going to be any new quests in the game.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Um?

#3 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:35 am

And I thought Sierra games didn't have a big influence on people! |I

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by dreammaster » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:46 am

Just because it may not give you points, it would still be nice if thieves had the option to break into various houses within the city. Perhaps have one or two generic house room screens, with a couple of common places to get money from, which the thief can randomly enter if he tries house doorways.

That way, the one scripted house breakin for the thief wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb so much.

Thepal
Knight Status

#5 Post by Thepal » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:53 pm

Yeah... Fighters do get random encounters that don't give them points (at least not after the first kill for each monster type). So thieves could be given a couple of houses to steal from.

Bountice
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Bountice » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:18 pm

Well, actually, what I didn't like that mcuh in all QfG Series is that... Thiev does not breaks in many houses.. I mean, usualle there is only one, two.. or maybe three places to steal something. You could actually do some mor thieving. Even if it would not give any points, it would be nice to have more house breakings...

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by arganite » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:02 pm

the only one that had decent thieving was qfg1. The others had basically no chance to thieve (to my knowledge, apart from qfg2 which was almost impossible to find)

Now about that black bird....

Is the real one ever found?

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by New England Patriots » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:21 am

I think these Games were made for the purpose of the opposite reason......Like to teach you justice...and honor and stuff

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Corsair » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:08 am

You get the real Blackbird in QFG5.

Also, there is a 'Real' house breakin in QFG4 and 5.

Radiant
Knight Status

#10 Post by Radiant » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:41 am

Yes, the blackbird you see in QfG1 is the real one.

hpapillon
Peasant Status

#11 Post by hpapillon » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:52 am

QFG2 was sort of the most frustrating when it came to thieving *because* they'd implemented such a big city... Obviously it would have been a nightmare for game balance if the thief could rob all those houses (I'm rich! RICH!) and would have required a bit more programming (Not too much - you could make three or so random house layouts and a bit of palette code to make them look different) but it was ANNOYING to have so many doors and be completely unable to get into them.

With 1 and 4 it was more obvious that there were only a few places you could get to. (5 and 3 I only played through once each and don't remember too clearly so can't comment at the moment.)

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by dreammaster » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:28 pm

You know, it wouldn't necessary be too unbalancing to allow the thief to break into many houses. All you need to do is vary the amount the thief can find on a particular breakdown. If all he got from a breakdown was a few coins, it'd give thieves the chance to improve their skills without quickly making them millionaires and unbalancing the game. It would also be realistic as you wouldn't expect everybody in a city to have lots of money.

What you could also do is have a percentage chance whether a generic door will, when the thief picks it, be bolted or merely locked. And as the thief burgles more houses, gradually decrease the likelyhood of a door not being bolted. That way, you can get a balance between allowing the thief to burgle extra houses, and preventing him from indefinitely burgling them.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:50 am

Yeah, but there's the slight issue of those kinds of expansions taking tons of time to develop, so I don't think the possibility of this one's very high.

Rincewood
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Rincewood » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:51 am

There is another place in QFG2 you can rob. It's an old mans house. (It's been a while since I've played it so best to check somewhere like gamefaqs.com)

That's right. Make the thieves sign to the money changer. She's also the local fence ^__^

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:03 pm

Rincewood wrote:There is another place in QFG2 you can rob. It's an old mans house. (It's been a while since I've played it so best to check somewhere like gamefaqs.com)

That's right. Make the thieves sign to the money changer. She's also the local fence ^__^
ARE YOU SERIOUS.

Fifteen damn years, I've been playing the game all wrong.

......mumble.....mumble....groan.....groan......

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:09 pm

You're probably thinking of the old man's house in QFG4. There's only 3 thieving jobs in QFG2.

Thepal
Knight Status

#17 Post by Thepal » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:11 am

Nah, he's talking about the guards' house Dinarzad sends you to. It's owned by their father, I believe, who is an old man.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#18 Post by Gronagor » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:19 am

Yeah... it must be that one. (Guard's house) That's the only real quest Dinarzad ever gave the thief.