All times are UTC

What QFG class do you use?
Fighter 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Mage 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Thief 28%  28%  [ 19 ]
Paladin 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Combination 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject: What QFG class do you use?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:55 am 
Peasant Status

Do you enjoy swing your sword, crushing those hordes of stupid goblins standing in your path?

Does the temptation of controlling the mystic energies, and the absolute powers full you with ecstasy?

Or is the shadows your home and the chance to fence off some poor smucks goods your life goal?

Are you the righteous type who would go to battle with a flaming sword and a unyielding sense of honour?

I'm a Jack-of-all trades guy. In QGF1 I start with a thief then add points to all his skills (meaning I don't start with any on 0).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:50 am 
Royal Vizier Status

Wasen't there been a poll on this already?

I would choose paladin. Because of the fighting abilities and the superb essential powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:02 am 
Dungeon Mistress

I always play as a pure mage.

(Superhero Badge, courtesy of Pyro)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:21 pm 
Saurus Salesman

Fighter/Warrior
It's the only pure hero among the classes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:30 pm 
Knight Status

I do tend to play the games thrice, each with the pure classes. IMHO cross-skilling detracts from the experience, but YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:20 pm 
Royal Vizier Status

Swift wrote:
I always play as a pure mage.

Same here I would choose mage over Paladin if I had the chance but it depends. The Mage fits the QFG universe well, there is so much magic in the game it self not being a magic user sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:27 pm 
Knight Status

I'm a warrior-magician.

Post subject: Extra answer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:36 pm 
Royal Vizier Status

Where's the "all of the above" option? :D

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:34 pm 
Knight Status

I usually prefer the wizard - though I've tried pretty much everything in all five games. (With exception of a pure fighter maybe.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:18 am 
Knight Status

I picked combination because it's closest to "all of the above"... if that had been a choice I would have picked that along with Brainiac.  

I guess my favourite is a Paladin/Mage combination, but I like to play through with each individual character as well.  QFG is my favourite Sierra game series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:42 am 
Canadian Pundit

I usually play as a wizard/paladin. I've never really understood the logic of arbitrarily restricting a player's abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:04 am 
Knight Status

I guess maybe for a challenge... or to try to solve some of the puzzles/complete tasks using different methods and abilities.  That's why I've tried playing through with each type with no combinations.  However, I do prefer playing with combinations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 am 
Peasant Status

Hey!!!!! Does no one plays the theif??????? I dont beleive it!!!! The theif is the real hero in my view, he has no magic or outstanding strength. He is purely intellegence and uses skills that any other human can do which seems fair. I mean.... King Graham can't kill goblins with fireballs or Larry can't remove large stones from cave openings. I think that playing the theif makes you the real hero. Plus, sneaking around in the dark and stealing gives you great satisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:13 am 
Slacker of Shapeir

Theif all the way man. it's the only class I play. I give him magic suer but just for certain spells like juggling lights and his magic skill never breaks 50.

Calik Status: Hero of Speilburg Has become the Prince of Shapier and a Hero among Tarnans, after freeing the Mordavians from eternal fear he was zapped to the land of Silmaria where an import bug has him trapped between worlds.
4/5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:14 am 
Knight Status

In QFG1, thief, since its the only class that can get all skills.  (and thus get to all parts of the game, since nothing is unique to a class, only to certain skills.
QFG2, I've barely played (not enough experience with typing games), so I don't really know which I'd pick.
QFG3, I tend to chose paladin, since he has more stuff than the fighter, and the other two classes hardly get to do squat in the game.
QFG4, I haven't beaten yet, and when I do play it, I tend to try things equally as the Magic User, Thief, and Paladin.
QFG5 I've never played.
IRL, I'd probably end up as a fighter (even if magic user was an option) although I'd try to put a few points into magic use, if I could (but then, who wouldn't? lol)

In QFG 3 and up, is there even any reason to play a figher at all? It would seem that paladins are just so much better in every respect....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:37 pm 
The Silent Witness

Yeah, atleast in 5. Playing with a paladin is pretty darn boring since the Paladin Way - Road to Honor(TM) is doing things peacefully, and you mostly end up pressing quickbuttons for 'Peace' or 'Awe'-ability. And thanks to that drugstore hippie and his cheap stamina pills, you'll have no trouble doing it.
Only a couple of times I actually had to do something else during the quests.

Atleast a regular fighter can just merrily go and crush, kill and maim everything that looks at him funnily.

But about the topic, thieves and magic users rule, hands down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:57 pm 
Knight Status

I usually play as a thief, but I usually try to use a bit of as many skills as the game will allow. In Quest for Glory I I can use a bit of every skill as a thief except the parry skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:15 pm 
Slacker of Shapeir

so basically a  theif with magic seeing as how they start with almost all the skills anyways.

Calik Status: Hero of Speilburg Has become the Prince of Shapier and a Hero among Tarnans, after freeing the Mordavians from eternal fear he was zapped to the land of Silmaria where an import bug has him trapped between worlds.
4/5

Post subject: So, You Want To Be A Hero?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 am 
Knight Status

I was a paladin before the game came out.  Fighting for the good and wielding a flaming sword of justice before mine enemies is first nature to me.  Upholding honor based on ones own personal sense of righteousness is what makes heroes, and by example that is what I am.  Your Kin not your King, my way is the path less trodden, protecting the weak in a land of tyranny.  If hope dost fall from sight, call on The Avatar and all will be made right.

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:10 am 
Royal Vizier Status

Avatar, I had no idea you were such a goody-two-shoes.

Your speech was so saccharine, it gave me diabetes. :lol

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Post subject: Re: So, You Want To Be A Hero?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:25 am 
Super Star

The Avatar wrote:
I was a paladin before the game came out. Fighting for the good and wielding a flaming sword of justice before mine enemies is first nature to me. Upholding honor based on ones own personal sense of righteousness is what makes heroes, and by example that is what I am. Your Kin not your King, my way is the path less trodden, protecting the weak in a land of tyranny. If hope dost fall from sight, call on The Avatar and all will be made right.

*Applauds*
You're an inspiration to all of us! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:44 am 
Royal Servant Status

It depends of my shape.

I prefer a thief with magic skills.

The thief is quite a challenge in QFG. Like in Dark Project, Professionals" never use violence unless desperate situations forces you to. Probably the most difficult character to use but the most entertaining too. You get to explore mysterious places you would never access to if you take another profession. How puzzles will be solved and how many there are.

However I have the project to make a jack-of-all trade fighter, the most difficult one to make ( avoid having climb skill until you read a book on climbing in QFG4, you might lost some points ).

The Paladin makes me think of some combination between mage and fighter but I wonder if I can't use thieves skill if the paladin has some.

Also, because the honesty the paladin needs for his powers, it forces me to avoid thieving, I can't even get the healing potion in QFG4 in the monastery, the narrator forbid me to break the glass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:25 am 
Knight Status

Yep, you're right - the Paladin can have thief skills, but in most cases you lose Honor (Honour) points for behaving like a thief.

That's one great thing about QFG.  There are three pure classes, later four including the Paladin - but there are even more once you get into combinations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 am 
Peasant Status

Paladin-Mage hybrid for me. Second choice will be Thief-Mage hybrid. For QfG1 I use Fighter-Mage hybrid. Basically, a combination of Mage and another class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:34 am 
Peasant Status

I'd play fighter base class and add all skills usually skipping out on sneak, or pick locks and i did pretty good like that.. the hardest in the first game is probably the magician. next the theif. then the fighter type class probably easiest. A tip for the fighter magical person is to throw your shield away at beginning of game get good at dodging. by near the end of the game i could knock a pretty tuff monster (like the guy outside kobalds) with a blast or 2 from flame dart. It's always fun to play all the classes or a combination of.. Oh and the other thing about tossing shield the main reason is. You can't cast holding the shield if you are doing warrior w/ magic. and most if not all of the things in qfg1 with all of the 3 character types. but it's more fun to just bash everything sometimes.. (except that bouncing dude never did get him LOL)