QFGIIVGA Comments/Suggestions

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#26 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 pm

You truly are a paladin.

Ever seen a naked woman before?  ;)

Bt

Alliance
Knight Status

#27 Post by Alliance » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:09 pm

My suggestion for QFGIIVGA would be a few things.
1) That you can buy the clothes from QFG3 from a clothes dealer (not too much work, you can just rip the animations.
2) There should be newer gags in the Magic Shop (like a Roger Wilco Doll, stupid fads nowadays, etc.)
3) Have a few cameo appearances (like Lori and Corey cole fighting monsters in the desert or something)
Just a few suggestions.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#28 Post by Kloreep » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:06 am

Paladinlover wrote:
Oh well.  My Wizard full 100 Stats/Spells is done   Time to work on the Fighter Class
HA! I have ALL the maxed out characters on my PC for YEARS! :P

All you guys have to work and work and work while I can just be incredibly lazy in this regard! :rollin

Till next time stay cool :smokin
No need to work hard if you can break out a hex editor. :D

Playing through the games again, I've taken to boosting my stats up in to the 80s or so myself; I actually enjoy getting my hero off the ground. But then I'll edit in those last 10-20 points so that I don't have to dodge 100 times or whatever insane amount it takes to get through the last stretch.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Cameo

#29 Post by Brainiac » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:06 pm

Alliance wrote:3) Have a few cameo appearances (like Lori and Corey Cole fighting monsters in the desert or something)
But they're already in the game...remember Sloree and Scoree? :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:42 pm

1) That you can buy the clothes from QFG3 from a clothes dealer (not too much work, you can just rip the animations.
Not too much work, eh? Watch out with that kind of assumptions. Let's just say that about 10% of the total amount of hero sprites would be obtainable by ripping their equivalents from QFG3. Then that still leaves about 1900 frames to be made manually. Might take kinda long for what's basically a doodle, right?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#31 Post by Alias » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:10 pm

I agree although doubt it will happen that AGDI could add many more fun facts/easter eggs and stuff like that. I guess its not AGDI's style to add a great deal to a remake, IMHO.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#32 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:14 am

Ever seen a naked woman before?
I'm not answering that!! :P

ejx982
Peasant Status

#33 Post by ejx982 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:37 am

Paladinlover wrote:
Oh well.  My Wizard full 100 Stats/Spells is done   Time to work on the Fighter Class
HA! I have ALL the maxed out characters on my PC for YEARS! :P

All you guys have to work and work and work while I can just be incredibly lazy in this regard! :rollin

Umm.. yeah.  I've had all my characters maxed when the series FIRST came out.  I remember buying Pre-Ordering Wages of War.  I'm sure I have the boxes & original floppies somewhere, but when I went off to college I only took my CDs with me.  (I'm playing with my Anthologies Disc)  In the process, I have *no* idea where my old characters are saved.

Ranger_Ric
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Ranger_Ric » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:18 am

Hiyas all!

I found this site on a whim google tonight after seeing a commercial for the hitchhikers guide movie. After finding a good interpreter for my old infocom games I realized that I really have no burning desire to play them again. On the other hand, the KQ or QFG games would be great to play again and I headed for the software archive only to find everything I have is on 5.25 floppy! Not looking forward to tearing into the old XT or AT in the closet I did another search and found the AGDI site.

Killer surprise! I have KQ 1-4 and they were all great but seeing the QFG 2 remake really blew me away. The KQ series marked the beginning of a genre but the QFG series was much more enjoyable for me. I always wished sierra would have done a remake of QFG 2 like the QFG1vga version because 2 was such a great game.

I have every one including the remake of QFG 1 and the (fairly rare I think) original release of QFG 1 that was called Heros Quest. That initial release was pulled from the shelves because of a name infringement with a Milton Bradley game if I remember right.

Don't mean to ramble but I'm just excited about the remake of 2 and really looking forward to some retro gaming when it comes out! In any case... Thank you AGDI!

While I am waiting I guess I will yank a 5.25 drive and cable out of an antique and see if this p4 controller will recognize it :)

Rick

PS
Throwing daggers and rocks was always the best method to win a fight for me. In some of the later games (3 & 4 I think) rock throwing was almost a cheat level thing IMHO.

I have all of my chars from each game as well. Paladin was the only char I carried over from game to game but I replayed most of them with the thief.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#35 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:43 pm

Ranger_Ric wrote:While I am waiting I guess I will yank a 5.25 drive and cable out of an antique and see if this p4 controller will recognize it :)
Glad to have you at the forums Ric! While you are waiting, you might try playing our two completed remakes of KQ1 and KQ2. They are definately worth the download!

Ranger_Ric
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Ranger_Ric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:21 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I was downloading the KQ's as I was posting last night and didn't get to bed until 3:30 after firing up KQ2 "just to take a peek"... heh

I was playing the QFG4 1/2 spoof a bit but the lack of a music and speech pack really degrades the experience and I walked around the forest in the dark without seeing a single enemy to fight.

Modern onboard IDE controllers do still read 360k and HD 5.25 drives if anyone was wondering by the way. Archiving to CD is a problem though, the sierra games all have copy protection so I was only able to run them from the original 5.25 floppy. There is an old ISA bus copyIIpc option board in the AT I could feasably fire up but it did not remove copy protection, it just made duplicates. So... unless I leave the 5.25 drive in the machine (which is not going to happen) I guess these old original games on floppy are not playable.

Rick

ejx982
Peasant Status

QFG Anthology

#37 Post by ejx982 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:10 pm

For kicks, I installed QFG2/3/4 off my Anthonlogy Disc, but realizing that it has tons of problems under WinXP.  (I can only assume this since the .BAT files created were meant to run in Win95/98/DOS).  That once QFG2VGA is release, I think I'll re-author a QFG Anthology CD for my self.  Although I don't know any VB programming, I think I'll just copied the Installed Games from HD to a CD for easy recording.

I was never able to get the KQ1/2VGA autorun program, but it woudl be nice to have a 'working' QFG Disc.  I'm assuming that since I use the versions of QFG on the Anth CD, they are the most up to date versions... which reminds me I need to find all my floppy disc versions and ebay them.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#38 Post by Klytos » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:38 am

You do realise that all the old sierra games will run well under XP with the help of Dosbox which can be downloaded here at ... http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

ejx982
Peasant Status

#39 Post by ejx982 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:02 pm

Klytos wrote:You do realise that all the old sierra games will run well under XP with the help of Dosbox which can be downloaded here at ... http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
Not getting them to run, getting them to INSTALL.  Even under DOSBox, the Disc has problems.  Everytime I want to install ANY QFG game, it defaults to QFG1.. not sure why.

Eitherway tho.. I got it working

DaGGeR
Peasant Status

#40 Post by DaGGeR » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:36 pm

Each game also has it's own separate install. Just browse CD folders.

Thepal
Knight Status

#41 Post by Thepal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Installing the old games just copies the folder to the hard drive. You can do the same thing, just make sure the files aren't still read-only. Then just run the game install program from the hard drive to select the sound card, and you're set.

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#42 Post by Groveborn1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:32 am

ejx982 wrote:
Klytos wrote:You do realise that all the old sierra games will run well under XP with the help of Dosbox which can be downloaded here at ... http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
Not getting them to run, getting them to INSTALL.  Even under DOSBox, the Disc has problems.  Everytime I want to install ANY QFG game, it defaults to QFG1.. not sure why.

Eitherway tho.. I got it working
I found that by not running the tests they install just fine. Never ever run the tests. They don't like newer stuff.  Also, VMDsound works well for WinXP, makes all sorts of games work, I even got the MIDI sound in QFG working for me, and I've never had a MIDI thingy...yeah, midi thingy, that's technical, right?

Rincewood
Peasant Status

#43 Post by Rincewood » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:42 am

One of the things which was good about QFG2 I found was the guild quest; EOF, WIT and the the thieves. However except for the thieves guild, after you go 'graduate' there isn't much point to it. It would be nice if there more character class quests.

More interaction with the Katta would be good. Quests would be good as well.

And after you've finished the 'Trial by Fire' being able to run around and increase your stats (similar to GFQ1 which had no time limit to complete the game)

I have question. It's all point and click system. What will happen to word puzzle (such as questioning the Dervish about the beast) and gags (like buying the burn wood or flirting with the money changer)? One of the things which impressed me the most about QFG2 (as well as QFG1) was the vast range of topics the NPC's would talk about.

I can hardly wait. I haven't felt this excited since I for a long time!

TaylorZ
Peasant Status

re

#44 Post by TaylorZ » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Think it would be nice if you could buy a fake beard and wear it around.

Jafar
Super Star

#45 Post by Jafar » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:03 am

(like buying the burn wood or flirting with the money changer)
Maybe you could click the money bag on the burned stand and have a "flirt" option when talking to the money changer, like in QFG3.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#46 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:13 am

Jafar wrote:Maybe you could click the money bag on the burned stand and have a "flirt" option when talking to the money changer, like in QFG3.

Ewww, why would you want to flirt with the money changer from QFG3?  

Or maybe that wasn't what you meant...?

Jafar
Super Star

#47 Post by Jafar » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:00 am

Gah, forgot to mention WHERE that option on QFG3 appeared. (The Welcome Inn lady)

Saallen1_1
Peasant Status

#48 Post by Saallen1_1 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Hmm, I want  to buy the model of the USS ExitPrize at keapon laffins shop, or maybe a baby antwerp :-D

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#49 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:24 am

Jafar wrote:Gah, forgot to mention WHERE that option on QFG3 appeared. (The Welcome Inn lady)
Ok, that makes sense now.   :)   I should have been able to figure out that's what you meant.

Saallen1_1 wrote:Hmm, I want  to buy the model of the USS ExitPrize at keapon laffins shop
Is that really what it's called, the "USS ExitPrize"?  Or did you just make that up?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#50 Post by Klytos » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:33 am

I hope that QFG2 is far enough along to not require any more suggestions like these.

Just had that thought...  :D