What is the political structure of this board?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Radical
6%
Liberal
61%
Bi-Partisan
11%
Republican
6%
Conservative
11%
Communist
No votes
Nazi
6%

Total votes: 18

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#1 Post by oriel » Sun May 08, 2005 12:08 am

There's alot of attitude on this board.  It seems like topics are constantly being moved, locked up, or downright deleted.  I don't know about you, but I'm from the United States.

That's right.  Freedom of speech.  Freedom of opinion.  Freedom of choice.  And to the Republic, for which it stands, one Nation, with liberty and justice for all.

So let's hear it.

Oriel

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Pidgeot » Sun May 08, 2005 2:58 am

I don't really see your points as any problem. I haven't seen it happen very often, but moving, locking and deleting are necessary parts of any online forum to keep a few ground rules maintained, since there are quite a few people online that throw caution to the wind and don't really give a rat's behind on proper netiquette.

Now, I'm liberal, so per definition, I stand for freedom - but with freedom comes responsibility. In this case, that responsibility is following some very basic guidelines set up by the forum administrators to keep this a friendly place. They don't take more than a few minutes to read, and since they mostly correspond to how you'd be expected to act in real life, is that really too much to ask? I don't think so.

What people do in their own homes, in private, that's for them to decide. But when in public, regardless of whether it's down by City Hall or on the Internet, there are certain things that are expected of you - you are expected to not be breaking the law and to behave nicely to other people, etc., etc. That doesn't change when you double-click that blue e (or red fox, or whatever your browser icon represents) and go online. You are still expected to do the exact same things - except here, you are allowed to do certain things you can't do in public, since you're in the privacy of your own home.
For example, if you like browsing this forum whilst being naked, you can do so without any problems. But if you try to walk past the local library without any clothes on, you're likely to get arrested for indecent exposure.

That's where I personally think the problem arises - some people think that because they go online from their own home, they're in a private place - not a public one. They don't realize that their modem is really acting as a gateway to a public place (or, don't know the difference). Therefore, some people think they can do whatever they want. When this happens, some people like to cause havoc. True, without any moderation, it wouldn't really be havoc - but as time progresses, the state of things get worse and more legitimate, behaving users will be scared off.
Eventually, things will go too far, and you wouldn't be able to go anywhere without being greeted by Goatse or Tubgirl (links lead to image description on Wikipedia - the images themselves are not shown).

Do you really want to let things end up that way? I certainly don't. That's why moderation is needed.

(Sorry if this seems a little incoherent, but I'm typing this at 5 in the morning...)

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#3 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun May 08, 2005 3:57 am

I think the board is pretty Liberal.  People can say what they want, unless there is excessive swearing.  Topics don't get locked down very often - when they do it's usually because they are breaking the forum rules.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Sun May 08, 2005 5:07 am

Well said, Pidgeot.

Moderating the forums is necessary in order to keep the peace. Furthermore, different people can have varying opinions as to what constitutes as an offensive subject, due to different cultural backgrounds. Not deleting or locking potentially offensive topics can lead to hurt feelings and/or forum members flaming each other, which creates a very unfriendly environment for the majority.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Sun May 08, 2005 7:33 am

Come on Oriel. With all that so called 'freedom' in the US, the censoring is propable worst in the US. Everything's about protecting the kids. I don't see how these boards collide with the American Way.

And I'm pretty sure Americans are very strict about spamming.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#6 Post by 1eyedParrot » Sun May 08, 2005 5:21 pm

The freedom of speech amendment is often misunderstood.
For example:
It does not mean that I, or anyone else, could go on this board and say whatever the hell I wanted. It DOES mean that I could make my own board and curse and badmouth everyone here.

Freedom of speech works within the confines of property ownership. Ownership of private property is an even more valuable right than freedom of speech. If you come into my home and say something I don't like I can kick you out, why? Because you can't say whatever you want in the confines of my property!

To address the FCC, television censoring is mostly the fault of irresponsible parents who are lazy and don't want to make sure what their children are watching is suitable.

Spamming, take the first example. My email is essentially my mailbox on the internet, which would constitute as my private property. These person(s) are putting spam into the mailbox after having been told to stop. Seeing as how I can't stand by my email account and beat the guy up I(we) have to rely on legal authority to clear it up.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#7 Post by Charlemagne » Sun May 08, 2005 6:25 pm

I'm a liberal and proud of it! :hat

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by oriel » Sun May 08, 2005 10:14 pm

I'm Republican.

I guess you're just trying to be provocative, but don't press your luck here. Read my post before spouting some more.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#9 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun May 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Oriel, I think you had better edit that quick.  The second phrase is going to get you into trouble.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sun May 08, 2005 11:52 pm

Groan, the first amendment-stick is just about the most popular fallacy on the internet and I can't believe there's still people who fall for the temptation to beat others with it. This post is probably going to appear pure blasphemy in your eyes, but I can assure you it's mainly informative.

First of all, you're an American. So what? I'm a dutchman and AGD2 is from Australia. So would there be any reason why you expect me to follow a foreign constitution? And what am I supposed to say to a visitor from yet another country who expects me to follow his domestic law? (like the Sharia)

This may come like a shock, but most forums are regulated by the administrator of the board who enforces a policy based on what he deems best for the community as he envisions it. This board is not really an exception at all.

I could leave it at that, but since you seem insistent to post cliche'ed soundbites, I feel compelled to correct your assumption.

The "freedom of speech" you're claiming to defend is officially worded in the following line in US constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

This is known as the first amendment. Now, what certain people mistakenly like to believe is that this means: "I can say whatever I want and wherever I want and anyone who prevents me from doing what I want is violating my freedom of speech and expression." Read the statement in bold more closely.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

Well, I'm not even from the US (I'm just visiting there right now) and I sure as hell am not congress, nor am I the US government. So how can I be violating the first amendment if the amendment isn't even aimed at me? Answer; I'm not.

What the part says is that the US government can't prohibit a US citizen from speaking his mind in public in order to correct his government's actions. This forum isn't a public place...it's a discussion area that falls under the jurisdiction of its administrators. According to the first amendment of your constitution, I can delete, move and edit your posts to my heart's content without violating any written rule whatsoever. Mind you; just because I can, doesn't mean I always will. In general, I only take action if I feel a post conflicts with the interests of the forum. You don't have to agree with it, but you'll have to accept it for your constitution will do schnitz to undo any moderative action around here.

Now, please stop throwing cheap quasi-constituational soundbites around and just accept that on any forum on the internet, it's the administration staff that makes and enforces the policies.

Sincerely,

a European who dislikes being forced to teach Americans about how their own constitution works. (thank goodness instances like these are rare)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#11 Post by Da_elf » Mon May 09, 2005 3:35 am

well. im too laid back to really give a crap. id usually have to stop and think who our current primeminister is. but i dont see laid back as a political preference in the options

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon May 09, 2005 4:38 am

Wow an american beaten with his own constitution by a dutch (you are dutch right, erpy? I can't seem to remember).

Radiant
Knight Status

#13 Post by Radiant » Mon May 09, 2005 10:00 am

Go Erpy!!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#14 Post by Swift » Mon May 09, 2005 11:18 am

Erpy wrote:...I'm a dutchman
Yup, Erpy's Dutch.

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by oriel » Tue May 10, 2005 12:17 am

Not to start an arguement and (gulp) further delay the release of QFG II with my actions, I do submit to your argument and hereby officially declare you the winner of the greater opinion.

Here, let me buy you a pack of gum.

Oriel

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:32 pm

I'm glad I passed that one off to you Erpy, but I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to read it until now.

Have I told you lately how much you rock? Thanks for being a leader and soaking up most of the sh*t for the rest of us. (Inside joke :) )

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Wed May 11, 2005 3:58 am

Thanks for being a leader and soaking up most of the sh*t for the rest of us. (Inside joke  )
Did I mention the stuff was still stuck to my pants even AFTER they got out of the washing machine?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed May 11, 2005 4:07 am

I believe others viewing this content at my age would assume that inside joke is quite wrong indeed.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 11, 2005 8:06 am

Good point. Ban inside jokes!  :lol

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#20 Post by Ghost_Rider » Thu May 12, 2005 12:02 am

Indeed.  My imagination is running away with itself, and I really don't want to think about what might have been in Erpy's pants.  I better move on to a different post quickly.   :p

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#21 Post by navynuke04 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:55 am

*Whistles innocently...* :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#22 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu May 12, 2005 3:54 am

Erpy wrote:
Thanks for being a leader and soaking up most of the sh*t for the rest of us. (Inside joke  )
Did I mention the stuff was still stuck to my pants even AFTER they got out of the washing machine?

it wasn't so much the quote itself that got me thinking it was that Nash. Surely anyother nash would have worked better.