What our art looks like (warning: graphically heavy thread)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#26 Post by Charlemagne » Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 am

I like sunset photos. :)

http://unixforge.org/~mlavoie/images/scans/sunset2.jpg
Taken from the second floor of my university residence; Waterloo, Ontario; 1998

I think the dyes in the negative might have shifted colour over the years. I remember the "fingers of light" being more dramatic in the original print.

http://unixforge.org/~mlavoie/images/scans2/sunset4.jpg
Alton, Ontario; 1999

I took this one at my friend's house.

http://unixforge.org/~mlavoie/images/scans2/forest.jpg
Alton, Ontario; 1999

I think the white mark on the right is from the scanner, not the negative.

http://unixforge.org/~mlavoie/images/sc ... unset2.jpg
Sunset over Georgian Bay, Ontario; 1999

This was at my friend's cottage.

http://unixforge.org/~mlavoie/images/sc ... lorers.jpg
"Desert explorers"; Alton, Ontario; 1999

This is one of my favourites even thought I didn't take it. (I did take one like it, though.) Believe or not this was taken in Ontario, Canada and no, we don't have deserts here. My friend Brad (the guy in the middle) has a huge sand and gravel pit behind his house. The day I was there the mounds of sand looked exactly like desert dunes. My friend Joe took this one of me, Brad and our other friend Marty.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#27 Post by Swift » Mon May 09, 2005 3:57 am

Ooh, pretty photos you've got there, Charlemagne.

rosel1
Knight Status

#28 Post by rosel1 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:11 am

Swift wrote:Ooh, pretty photos you've got there, Charlemagne.
Aren't they breathtaking? Like pictures on a postcard! :) ;)

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by moonlit » Mon May 09, 2005 3:54 pm

I love the sunset pictures.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#30 Post by Swift » Mon May 09, 2005 4:02 pm

Here's a question for all the art people. Did you receive formal art education or was it self-taught? How long did you take to master the skill? Lastly, how do you improve on your art skills on your own? I've always wanted to learn art, but I haven't gotten the chance to receive formal education for it. So far, it's been self-taught, and there's a lot of stuff I still can't do at the moment, such as painting. Any advice please?

Da_elf
Knight Status

#31 Post by Da_elf » Mon May 09, 2005 4:15 pm

my grandfather was a film maker and animator (using normal film 16mm and 8mm) so basically i started learning that stuff from about the age of 8. I did normal art at school both graphic art and fine art up untill i was 16. then went to a community college and got an associates degree in mechanical and electrical engineering and at the same time got a few certificates in videography. Then i went to university and got my Bachelors of Fine Art in Film animation. Ive also gotten minor training in architecture which i use in my main money making passtime of architectural visualisations. (hope that wasnt too long winded hehe)

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#32 Post by moonlit » Mon May 09, 2005 4:17 pm

I never received formal education. I actually wanted to be a cartoonist from the moment I got my first 'tintin' book. Though I tried from time to draw I somewhere at the age of 17 decided that I just wasn't very good (hmm, my pictures sucked big time :-(  ) at it (I had to decide what direction/school I was going). It became technical school and when computers came along I realized that I found it easy to create any program I want. Well since then I have always been a developer.

However sometimes I still kept trying, like spending two years on a comic book about ten years ago (which can be downloaded from my site, but don't bother it doesn't look very well).

About two years ago, my old dream popped up again and I decided to buy a graphics board. I spent an awful lot of time on the first picture (I thought that when I failed I probably wouldn't touch the thing ever again :-)  ). It came out better than I expected. And since then I have been practicing every week. Well progress goes very slow but once in while I learn to draw something new.

Hopefully one day I will be pooring out paintings maybe even on real canvas :-)  .

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#33 Post by Charlemagne » Mon May 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments about my pictures. :)

My formal education is in computer science and mathematics. I just like photography as a hobby. As for other visual arts, let's just say that stick figures and blobs of colour are about the best I can do.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#34 Post by Swift » Wed May 11, 2005 8:19 am

I see. Thanks for sharing. :)

Here're completed pictures I did for Herocia, the novel project I'm working on with a few others. Managed to edit them last week.

Brassfire
Ianfe
Jigen
Silevran (my character)

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by moonlit » Wed May 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Jigen looks great, I like the one that dyed his hair black :-)

Silevran looks very good. Though for the coloring of the skirt I prefer soulblighter's choice of having it white so it matches with the blouse (but that's just silly me, I like colors coming back somewhere else in the clothing :-)  )

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#36 Post by Swift » Wed May 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Thanks for the comments, moonlit. :)

rosel1
Knight Status

#37 Post by rosel1 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Sweet characters, Swift!  :)  

I personally think the red dress on Brassfire suits her very well.  If I were to give any critique on your work, I would say that the hair needs a bit more contrast (depending on where the light is coming from).  Nice work!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#38 Post by Swift » Thu May 12, 2005 2:39 am

Thanks for the feedback, Emily. :) Much appreciated.