PlayStation Portable / Nintendo Dual Screen

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

PlayStation Portable / Nintendo Dual Screen

#1 Post by Music Head » Sun May 01, 2005 10:57 am

Have anyone hear had the chance to experiance any of these two new portable gaming devices, if so what are you views and theries. I myslef have never touched neither but have been reading as much info as possible to determine if any whcih to buy...

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sun May 01, 2005 1:00 pm

I don't have either, but if I could get one, it would be the DS. PSP doesn't have any games that interest me (coming) out. Not to mention the infamous battery life.
Besides, DS has Wario Ware. :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 01, 2005 2:22 pm

I have a NDS, although there aren't very interesting looking games for it yet. But it has a GBA slot in it which is a plus and the screen is a light brighter than the GBA SP. Metroid Prime Hunters "First Hunt" demo is fun, but there are only a couple levels and it gets old a bit after a while. Looking forward to the full game coming out this month I believe it is. And Mario 64 DS is also a fun game, though I haven't played it a whole lot as it belongs to my brother. There's also a ton of solo mini games a la Mario Party that you unlock throughout the game that can keep you busy for hours on end besides the main game itself. But I have yet to see a really interesting and innovative game to come out for the DS besides those two. That Feel The Magic game looks interesting by sega. Watched a demo and it seems like a lot of mini games. But we'll just have to see.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Sun May 01, 2005 2:59 pm

Jafar wrote:I don't have either, but if I could get one, it would be the DS. PSP doesn't have any games that interest me (coming) out. Not to mention the infamous battery life.
Besides, DS has Wario Ware. :p
So none of these games interest you?

Must be your Nintendo fanboyism clouding your mind.

Plus the PSP battery varies dependent on the game played.

Jafar
Super Star

#5 Post by Jafar » Sun May 01, 2005 3:05 pm

From that list, only Bomberman and Tales of Legendia interest me. I'd rather have a PS2, there are more games I like there.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Sun May 01, 2005 3:17 pm

I think that might and something to do with the PS2 having been out for 4 or 5 years already.

Myself I'd rather have both but Imma go for the PSP as apart from games it can do alot more things.

Watch movies, surf the net, go on IRC/MSN/AOL and looking forward to the emulators that will come out for this powerful handheld.

Jafar
Super Star

#7 Post by Jafar » Sun May 01, 2005 3:21 pm

I think that might and something to do with the PS2 having been out for 4 or 5 years already.
Be quiet, you inferior being. :p

New England Patriots
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by New England Patriots » Mon May 16, 2005 3:02 am

Personally, I like the DS better because it has Football and nintendo games.  But, the PSP has much better graphics.  It also costs way more  :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon May 16, 2005 6:35 am

am I the only one thinking "And so history repeats itself"? I seem to see a resemblance here

DS VS PSP
DS is graphically the inferior one along with several other lower quality games than its opposing handheld

PSP not only has more functions AND better graphics it has more and better titles (Tenchu, MGS HOORAY FOR STEALTH ESPIONAGE!) but is short lived by battery life which can be solved by simply plugging the system in the wall

wait a second im seeing a resemblance

Old Skool Gameboy VS Game Gear

Old skool gameboy had no colors (black is a shade) and was bigger than my hand which is pretty big and was (like Xbox) like playing a brick. along with lower quality games than it's opposing hand held

Game Gear mot only had more colors (256?) it had a light screen and IMHO was equal to the GBASP in every way and It had better games than it's opposing handheld (Sonic, Streets of Rage etc)

somehow the old skool gameboy had won and gamegear lay forgotten in my basement simply because it came a little earlier and with the help of miyamotos work.

Is the same thing destined to happen with the PSP? I know I have a DS and am not interested in the PSP so what gives? Also last I checked DS was womping because it came out before christmas.

In conclusion I feel that the market reflects quality as well as the schools reflect intelligence.

Wizard
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Wizard » Wed May 25, 2005 8:16 pm

Fanboys are narrow minded. So the fanboys are gonna get their companies system. There are more fanboys of PS than GCN. Though Nintendo fanboys are loud and cause ruckess, the PS fans are still just as strong. I think that the PSP will win if the DS doesn't release good games.

P.S. DS E3 showcase of games looked very promising. There is a great line up coming up. IN the meantime, if you own a DS like me, stick to Wario and Mario. THE CAVALRY IS COMING!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 25, 2005 9:06 pm

What also needs to be looked at aswell is that its hard to do a DS Vs PSP as the PSP cost nearly twice as much as the DS, like here in the UK DS costs £99.99 but when PSP is launched in September its gonna be for like 179.99 so does that mean for every DS sold that = 2 PSP??

Wizard
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Wizard » Wed May 25, 2005 9:10 pm

Yeah
You get what you pay for
If you want mp3, movie, and game system all in one you can pay the extra cost.
DS just plays games so that is why it is cheaper, not because it is less quality (though the graphics are worse)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 25, 2005 9:12 pm

I think Nintendo's overall plan is to produce cheaper console's/handhelds to get more people playing games which is really good, whilst Sony just gives the hardcore gamer what they want.

To me DS is a portable N64 whilst PSP is a portable PS2, I know which I'd rather have.

Wizard
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Wizard » Wed May 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Like I said in the other thread, I have all three systems but I like GCN the most. That is why I bought the DS. Also, because it is cheaper  ;)
But at school, all the "cool kids" have PSPs, so I am discriminated. LOL
I only know one kid in my school that has a DS.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:33 am

Wizard wrote:Fanboys are narrow minded. So the fanboys are gonna get their companies system. There are more fanboys of PS than GCN. Though Nintendo fanboys are loud and cause ruckess, the PS fans are still just as strong. I think that the PSP will win if the DS doesn't release good games.

P.S. DS E3 showcase of games looked very promising. There is a great line up coming up. IN the meantime, if you own a DS like me, stick to Wario and Mario. THE CAVALRY IS COMING!
Was that meant to be stereotipical? or was that just an accident? What I got from that was "people who own Nintendos are loud, however people with playstations are equal but quieter"

Personally I don't see why you'd want a PSP for MP3 and DVD. I'm fine with my cheaper DS seeing as how I own 5 DVD players which are only used around once every two weeks and I keep a minidisk in my coat that I use whenever I travel. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever taken ahandheld out of my house simply cause I don't feel the need to. I play my handhelds when I watch TV simply cause it's easy to do as handhelds require little concentration and TV is good enough just hearing. All that appeals to my type is the slightly better graphics (note i never said gameplay) but's it's definetly not worth paying double for.