QFG1 VGA ending

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

QFG1 VGA ending

#1 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon May 16, 2005 4:44 am

Okay, I just replayed through my old copy of QFG1 VGA in order to get an export ready for QFG2 VGA. Unfortunately, when I "beat" the game and end up in the baron's throne room with all the programmers, the game just sits there. How do I get to where I export my character? I know I've done it before: I've beaten all five games with one character before, but I can't remember how to get past this part (and it's not even part of the game technically!--how annoying). Thanks in advance.

[Edit]
Thought I'd mention that I'm using the QFG Anthology version of the game, with a SCI-fix patch installed, though I seem to remember this problem even way back with my original diskette version.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#2 Post by Ghost_Rider » Mon May 16, 2005 5:33 am

That's strange... Yorrick is supposed to enter the room doing cartwheels, then it goes to the part where you fly away on the magic carpet.  Right after that you can save your character.

Do you see Yorrick cartwheel into the room?  I know it waits a minute or so, he comes rolling in, then it waits a few more seconds... and is supposed to end at that point.  How long have you let it sit for?

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Mon May 16, 2005 5:51 am

Don't move the mouse or click anything.  Just wait a while.  Then it should end.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Mon May 16, 2005 8:28 am

Yeah... that one had me as well a while ago. Like Adeyke said: Don't touch that mouse!

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon May 16, 2005 3:39 pm

Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon May 16, 2005 4:45 pm

Yeah, I just checked. Not doing anything seems to trigger Yorick's acrobatics. Rather annoying that if you want to see the silly programmer animations you have to forgo "winning" the game. Oh, well.

adeyke

#7 Post by adeyke » Mon May 16, 2005 5:24 pm

It's the opposite.  You have all the time in the world to see the silly programmer animations.  As long as you're still looking at them, Yorick won't come.  It's only when you decide you've had enough and stop looking at them that the game ends

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by GuJiaXian » Mon May 16, 2005 7:01 pm

I'll have to play around with it.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue May 17, 2005 12:21 am

Okay, one last question: now that I've figured out how to export, how the heck do I get my thief's strength score up? I can't find any one activity that reliably raises his score.

Also, I've done everything in the game but froggy-ize Baba Yaga and my climb score is 87 or so. Where can I max it out? I tried heading back to the brigand fortress to practise climbing there, but they ambushed me. ah, well.

ejx982
Peasant Status

#10 Post by ejx982 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:56 am

Strength -> Applies to all characters

Enter Combat and fight!!.  find a flying Manta Ray, and constantly atack when he's away from you "so you won't kill him".  Then when you are low on stamina, run away." This will both boost your weapon use and strength.

stables... still the best way but slowest way.

I *had* a perfect set a QFG1/2/3/4/5 Characters, but they got lost after I finished QFGV.  So after I fnished a 100 x Fighter, I played all the way thru as a Thief & Wizard and just before I beat the game,  I hexedied my stats to get 100s.

ejx982

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Tue May 17, 2005 6:19 am

It's still possible to raise your climbing skills with the tree. But you'll need to climb a thousand times (about) for each point. I hope you made good use of the cliffs with the seed.

Hmmm... I've played HQ1 a thousand times, but QfG1VGA only once. I could be wrong.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#12 Post by Kloreep » Tue May 17, 2005 5:31 pm

A thousand times per point? Ouch. Didn't know it was even possible, but that doesn't sound like it's worth it.

GuJiaXian, just hex edit it. :) If you already know how to use a hex editor, I have a quick thing I typed up about the stats location around here somewhere, and I'm sure ejx982 can help too. If you don't know how to use a hex editor, I'm sure you could find a tutorial, or I could even edit it for you.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Tue May 17, 2005 5:43 pm

Yeah... the cheater's way out.  :p  I won't do it that way because that would mean I've wasted my time maxing my other skills. Then you could simply have maxed all your skills this way. No glory in that.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue May 17, 2005 8:13 pm

Well, I could always just replay the EGA version and use "razzle dazzle root beer" for that matter, but I do much prefer the VGA version of the game. Yeah, I'd like to not cheat, but I also don't want to spend the next 20 hours building up a character that I technically have build fairly in the past. Heck, I've got maxed-out exported characters for QFG 2, 3, and 4, but I can't find my QFG1 export for the life of me. Ah, well.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#15 Post by Gronagor » Tue May 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Heh. :) If you want to do it, it's your decision. :)

ejx982
Peasant Status

#16 Post by ejx982 » Wed May 18, 2005 2:18 am

The only prob I got about hexediting is not thinking about it util AFTER i nearly maxed my Wizard (I had a 92 Strength and it was taking FOREVER).  A few simple key strokes and I was done :)

Just play the game, have fun.  Near the end, backup your save game edit your stats, resume check 'em, finish the game and export it.

Since I'm die-hard QFG, I'll max out my stats on my own within QFG2VGA just to help with bugs, then I'll play through QFG3-5 again, but i'll hexedit too.

ejx982

Kloreep
Knight Status

#17 Post by Kloreep » Wed May 18, 2005 4:04 am

ejx982 wrote:Just play the game, have fun.  Near the end, backup your save game edit your stats, resume check 'em, finish the game and export it.
This is what I've done for all classes (but the wizard, and I'll do the same for that class once I get around to playing it again). I find it fun to spend my time getting my hero off his feet in Spielburg, from a weak rookie who has to work the stables for a living to a truly capable adventurer. But maxxing those last 10 points from 90-100... not fun, not something I actually like to spend my time doing.

Now, I know I could just accept less-than-maxxed stats. But since QFG2 has so much to do, and moves with the clock regardless of how much you've fit in to the game day, I'd rather have 100s so I don't have to worry about increasing stats so much. :) Not necessary, just my own foibles.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#18 Post by jpnuar1 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:56 am

GuJiaXian wrote:Also, I've done everything in the game but froggy-ize Baba Yaga and my climb score is 87 or so. Where can I max it out? I tried heading back to the brigand fortress to practise climbing there, but they ambushed me. ah, well.
Four words: Hidengosek

But seriously, I was able to max out my climb skill by repeatedly climbing over the (brigand fortress) gate and back again. And no, you can't increase you climb past (83 I think it was?) on the tree outside the healer's.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 18, 2005 6:40 am

Yeah. You can. But it does take a long time.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed May 18, 2005 2:40 pm

You can't go back and practise climbing the brigand wall once you've freed the baroness. If you go back (via the troll's cave), you die when you come out to the minotaur's clearing (death message is something about the brigands waiting for you to return).
Four words: Hidengosek
This is ringing bells, but I can't remember where from. Anyone mind cluing me in?

Kloreep
Knight Status

#21 Post by Kloreep » Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 am

It's ringing bells because...

[spoiler]It's the password to get past the troll that guards the secret entrance.[/spoiler]

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by GuJiaXian » Fri May 20, 2005 5:41 am

Ah, that's right. Well that doesn't do me any good, because said troll is squish-ed.