The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#801 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 6:40 am

Well here she is!!

I have to be honest, I dont like the look of the PS3 controller. I hope I can still use a PS2 contoller which I assume I can as PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 AND PS1 games!!!

All the PS3 info can be found here

Phew my IGN Insider is being put to good use!!

Also Square-Enix showed off their PS3 support with a fully real time remake of the complete intro for FINAL FANTASY VII!!! But have confirmed there will be no remake of FF7.

Good news for Xbox 360, looks like they could finally be getting Final Fantasy games!!

Also PSP is confirmed to be able to link up to PS3 and can even be used as a controller like GBA with GC!
Last edited by Angelus3K on Tue May 17, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jafar
Super Star

#802 Post by Jafar » Tue May 17, 2005 10:53 am

It looks like a fax machine! :lol

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#803 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 1:35 pm

Wish I had a fax machine that SEXY!!!  ;)

Reports say the the Revolution is going to be no taller than 3 DVD cases stacked flatly on top of one another!

Hope they can squeeze a decent CPU & GPU in there  :lol

EDIT:

From these specs at a glance PS3 looks the more powerful console, but we'll have to see who is best when the games come out!!

PS3 vs Xbox 360

(As of this moment Revolution still hasnt been unvieled but stay tuned for a 3 way comparison!)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#804 Post by Pidgeot » Tue May 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Currently downloading the Nintendo press conference to my harddrive.

I just wish they'd get started soon, since I thought it began ~40 minutes ago.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#805 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 pm

Yea I'm currently downloading the Sony and Microsoft confereances too, the Sony one is 1.27GB!!

oh Pidgey, I'm watching the Nintendo Conferance LIVE on IGN Insider  ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#806 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 5:30 pm

The Nintendo conferance is sweet! I couldnt watch the Sony one as it was on at midnight UK time and I was too tired.

Hears hoping they show some videos of Revolution instead of talking about it lol!

EDIT: The guy just announced that the Revolution is backwards compatible and you can download ANY NES, SNES, N64 game to play on it! (Well he said purchase lol)

EDIT2: Here is the Revolution Unvieled!!!

EDIT3: For those that live under a rock (or dont watch MTV) here is the Xbox 360

Broomie
The Enigma

#807 Post by Broomie » Tue May 17, 2005 8:00 pm

The Nintendo Revolution looks so... so... plain! It just looks like a CD Drive.

The PS3 looks very nice, I might even get one of these once I look at the Specs.
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller
* Bluetooth:(up to 7)
HOLY CRAP! My dream came true! I was talking to my brother about what the PS3 would have, and I said I doubt they'd add it but it would be cool if you could have wireless controllers and you could have like 8 play at a time if they bring their controllers and the PS3 automatically picks it up. Well, seems they must have bugged our house. :p

I think I might get one of these!

The Xbox 360 is the nicest looking out of the three (for once) It seems it's all changed in looks, the Gamecube used to be the best looking out of all three, Xbox being the ugliest. Now it's the most ugliest out of all three and Xbox 360 is the best looking. The Playstation seems to be in the middle all the time.

Edit: On second thoughts, X-Box 360 dropped down to second place in looks department, that picture seems very exaggerated as I saw another picture of it. Upon seeing that now I think the XBox 360 looks like Bill Gates let his kids make it after watching Blue Peter. And 360 is a stupid name also.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#808 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Whats also cool about PS3 is that is has DUEL output so if you have 2 TV's you can play 2 player games and have a TV each with just the one console! You could also have 8 player games spread over the 2 TV's so it would be 4 player split screen on both screens so 8 people could easily play.

You can also use the PSP as a controller too.

BTW Check the specs Brooms, PS3 ownz Xbox 360 the processor alone beats it Cell processor with 7 3.2Ghz chips compared to Xbox 360's chip with 3 cores running at 3.2Ghz.

Even the PS3 graphics card is faster at 550Mhz compared to Xbox 500Mhz.

They both have the same amount of RAM though.

Revolution will no doubt be impressive but PS3 will be the most powerfull, just gotta see what each developer can do with each sytem.

I think that the games will be similar looking for the first year but then once devs get the hang off programming the CELL we'll see some next gen flava!!

(I LOVE how the Revolution lets you download old Nes, Snes and N64 games though, thats genius!)

Broomie
The Enigma

#809 Post by Broomie » Tue May 17, 2005 8:27 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Whats also cool about PS3 is that is has DUEL output so if you have 2 TV's you can play 2 player games and have a TV each with just the one console! You could also have 8 player games spread over the 2 TV's so it would be 4 player split screen on both screens so 8 people could easily play.
Ah! Again! I thought of this too! Same day, same room. I said the exact words. I better start looking in my house for anything "suspicious."
BTW Check the specs Brooms, PS3 ownz Xbox 360 the processor alone beats it Cell processor with 7 3.2Ghz chips compared to Xbox 360's chip with 3 cores running at 3.2Ghz.
I did check the specs, very bloody impressive. I really have no feelings towards the Xbox 360, it's just going to be another Microsoft system which concentrates more on the presentation than the actual games itself. I'd really like to see what games we'll see on the PS3 though.
Revolution will no doubt be impressive but PS3 will be the most powerfull, just gotta see what each developer can do with each sytem.
The thing that annoys me most about Gamecube/Rev bashers is that they basically compare the features that the PS2/PS3 can do that they can't. I once saw a n00b say "The Gamecube is crap since it hasn't got a DVD on it!" Since when were game consoles supposed to play movies? I thought it was just supposed to play games, simplying the fact that is it called a games console. Did the Sega Megadrive have an inbuilt VCR? No, it was solemnly created to play games, which in my opinion should be the rule on all games consoles. If I wanted to play a DVD, I'd use my DVD player.
(I LOVE how the Revolution lets you download old Nes, Snes and N64 games though, thats genius!)
Yeah, the wireless internet connection will kick ass!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#810 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Totally agree with you there Brooms.

All 3 console's will have wireless internet and controllers though. Just the Revolution is making damn good use of it.

Xbox Live service is impressive, I just hope Sony has sorted out a proper online service for its gamers this time around.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#811 Post by Pidgeot » Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Revolution will no doubt be impressive but PS3 will be the most powerfull
How can you know that? Nintendo has (as one would expect) said close to nothing about the Revolution specs, expect that it supports WLAN, (extreme) backwards compatability and has 512MB built-in memory. Granted, it won't have Blu-ray like the PS3, but storage space alone doesn't make a good game.

Besides, knowing Sony, the PS3 will probably cost about $1000 and break after 3 months. :p
It'll be even more genius if there aren't any region restrictions, AND there's a way to transfer games you already have onto the Revolution. (Hello, Picross!)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#812 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 17, 2005 8:58 pm

I think its a bit obvious that Revolutions specs wont be as good as PS3 or even close to Xbox 360.

During the conferance (which I watched live) they mentioned a few times that its not the console that matters its the games, which is true but kinda implies they dont have hardcore specs like PS3.

Plus the Revolution shown there is still a prototype, the final version will be even smaller.

They now know what PS3 and Xbox 360 have under the hood so they can make some changes and increase the specs to match but I dont think they'll unveil anything that will match the CELL processor.

You can quote me on this "I'm confident that when Revolution show their specs they wont be as good as the PS3".

Now, like I said before its the games that count I'm just saying PS3 will be the most powerful but that doesnt neccasarily mean much.

While the downloading old games thing is genius its even more genius to charge for the games lol, they'll make a fortune!

EDIT: Pidgey the Revolution has 512MB Flash Memory isnt that just for storage though?

PS3 and Xbox both have 512MB RAM (PS3 has 256MB on CPU and 256MB on GPU).

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#813 Post by Pidgeot » Tue May 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Angelus3K wrote:During the conferance (which I watched live) they mentioned a few times that its not the console that matters its the games, which is true but kinda implies they dont have hardcore specs like PS3.
Of course it is. There's no advantage in having a hyper-powerful console if no games use the powers available.
Plus the Revolution shown there is still a prototype, the final version will be even smaller.
Don't you know that it's not the size that matters? :P
EDIT: Pidgey the Revolution has 512MB Flash Memory isnt that just for storage though?
Yup (expandable with SD Memory Cards). They haven't revealed the amount of RAM in the system.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#814 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 18, 2005 8:05 am

Of course it is. There's no advantage in having a hyper-powerful console if no games use the powers available.
Yes but its better to have a hyper powerful console so that games can use the power in the future.
Don't you know that it's not the size that matters? :P
Yea, I was actually complimenting the Revolution, I'm not a complete fanboy (IE I can see good things in other consoles.)
Yup (expandable with SD Memory Cards). They haven't revealed the amount of RAM in the system.
Yea I think thats to hold the games you can download!! The PS3 has a HDD, Memory Stick ports and I'm SURE I read it has SD and Mini SD card slots too!!

EDIT: Also in their conferance Nintendo revelaed the Gameboy Micro

It looks cool, but I think I'll stick with my GBA SP.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#815 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 pm

whoa this has really picked up all I know for now is that 360 is not even in the running for me. also I think the name although stupid just means "It's been around" why wouldn't they just call it the Xbox 720? "It's been around the block a couple times" maybe that will be the next one. I just hoope they go the way of Sega soon so another power player can join the three way console war. personnaly I cannot even imagine what this would be like if Sega was still around seeing as they had a Dreamcast against the N64 in the end though it was the marketing and the Sega Saturn that killed em. Well I'm not sure on which of the other 2 I want at the moment but didn't I hear somewhere that PS3 instead of using a tv projects on a wall? and Revolutions looks cool but I kinda wish they used a better name as well They shoulda used GC back up name FUNMACHINE! oh well names aren't important all I know is this will be interesting indeed but on the down side it's more fanboys to put up with.

Note to Broom: Although I agree that GC didn't need a DVD and I own 4 DVD players the one wedged in the wall and hooked to my big screen tv (also in the wall) broke I couldn't play DVDs but luckily I bought my PS2 a week before so I geuss it can be useful in those rare occasions

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#816 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 18, 2005 12:48 pm

All the new consoles hook up to TV's as normal. The Xbox can go up to 1080i on a HDTV while the PS3 can go higher to 1080p on a HDTV.

Not sure about Revolution but they'd be fools not to support HDTV's.

Oh and its called Xbox 360 because "the gaming experiance revolves around you" according to MS lol.

Broomie you HAVE to check out the PS3 tech demo Rubber Duckies its amazing and it also shows the creator of the Eyetoy holding to glasses which appear on screen scooping up water from a bath all with real-time physics!!!

Also more details on Metal Gear Solid 4 for PS3 and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Metal Gear Acid 2 has been revealed check it out  here.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#817 Post by Pidgeot » Wed May 18, 2005 2:43 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Yes but its better to have a hyper powerful console so that games can use the power in the future.
That depends how you look at it. A hyper powerful console will be largely unknown cutting-edge technology, so it takes longer to produce anything good. On a
Yea, I was actually complimenting the Revolution, I'm not a complete fanboy (IE I can see good things in other consoles.)
Oh, okay - just thought it sounded a bit like you were using that as a reason for Revolution not being able to have any "real" power. :p

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#818 Post by Parhelion » Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 pm

Considering IBM is developing the processors for all three new consoles and ATI / Nvidia are developing the graphics, I don't think Nintendo's smaller size company-wise necessarily translates to having a weaker system, but we'll see.

I'm guessing that regardless of which system is more powerful, the PS3 will seem in practice to be the least of the three, at least at first.  The Cell processor is not only brand new but is geared towards multithreaded programming.  Those are both potential positives, but if it means longer development times for games I don't think the always cost-conscious game studios will take full advantage of it for a long while.

I'd also venture a guess that PS3 will only support the memory stick.  Sony loves proprietary technology, and forcing people to buy memory sticks seems like just their style.

I doubt I'll buy any of the new consoles.  If I did, it would probably be because of some "must have" game.  So I guess I'm equally unlikely to buy any of the three.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#819 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 18, 2005 4:06 pm

Pidgeot wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:Yes but its better to have a hyper powerful console so that games can use the power in the future.

That depends how you look at it. A hyper powerful console will be largely unknown cutting-edge technology, so it takes longer to produce anything good. On a
This is a quote from Epic games makers of Unreal.
Sony's cell demos were extremely cool and inspiring but are totally achievable, and over time even surpassable, by third developers like us because, as Tim Sweeney said, the development environment is made up of parts we're already intimately familiar with: OpenGL, NVIDIA graphics, Linux, and PowerPC. Think about Epic's experience, for example. We rock on NVIDIA hardware. We have been doing OpenGL since Unreal 1. We regularly ship our games on Linux and we've won several Macintosh Game of the Year awards including a special World-Wide Design Award directly from Apple for UT2004. We're going to be able to kick serious ass on PS3, and so are a lot of our licensees and other 3rd party developers, in a way that wasn't remotely possible on past consoles.
Plus like I said "in the future" as in when they learn to programme better for the Cell.
I'd also venture a guess that PS3 will only support the memory stick.  Sony loves proprietary technology, and forcing people to buy memory sticks seems like just their style.
Like I mentioned before the PS3 takes much more than just the Sony Memory Stick

I/O
USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
So you see it takes Memory Stick, SD standard and mini (like I said) AND CompactFlash.

I think you should read up on what your talking about Parhelion and definetly so if you plan on buying one of these next gen consoles  :lol

In case anyone's interested here is the full specs for PS3

Plus Blu-Ray will kick ass in a few years!!  :p

EDIT: Man you guys really gotta check out these tech demos, look at the leaves one!!

PS3 Tech Demo's

EDIT2: @Parhelion, I dunno about Revolution but Xbox 360 CPU is made by IBM, but PS3 Cell is made by Sony, IBM and Toshiba so I would image the 2 would be quite different.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#820 Post by Parhelion » Wed May 18, 2005 11:07 pm

If those are the official specs, that means no UMD support or cross-compatibility with the PSP.  Too bad!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#821 Post by Angelus3K » Thu May 19, 2005 6:53 am

The PS3 doesnt play UMD's but they are designed as a kind of mobile DVD.

The PS3 plays in addition to everything else Blue Ray Discs which hold upto 25GB (or 50GB dual layer) so I kinda think that makes up for it.

Also like I've said twice in previous posts the PSP can connect to PS3 wirelessly and the PSP can even be used as a controller when playing PS3 games.

If that doesnt count as "cross-compatibility" I dont know what does  ;)

Wizard
Royal Servant Status

#822 Post by Wizard » Wed May 25, 2005 8:25 pm

XBOX 360 is a next generation dreamcast
PS3 is the most capable graphiclly
Revolution looks the most promising because of its features

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#823 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 25, 2005 9:01 pm

Wizard wrote:XBOX 360 is a next generation dreamcast
PS3 is the most capable graphiclly
Revolution looks the most promising because of its features
Well thanks for adding to a conversation  :D

I agree with your comments there. Quite a few people I have talked to think Xbox 360 will go the way of the Dreamcast but personally I think MS have too much money for that to happen anytime soon.

Wizard
Royal Servant Status

#824 Post by Wizard » Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 pm

Bill gates will send a fire truck when it bombs

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#825 Post by Angelus3K » Wed May 25, 2005 9:10 pm

Lol, you'd be surprised though how many Xbox fan boys there are. I mean it looks like Xbox 360 could dive but realistcally I just cant see it happening.