RSS feeds in designer journals.

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Atheist
Peasant Status

RSS feeds in designer journals.

#1 Post by Atheist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:03 am

I searched the forums, but no one seems to have addressed this issue.

Is it possible to make the designer journal have RSS feeds? That way people who use RSS readers (Live Bookmarks from Firefox in my case) only have to check it when a new message is posted.

Thanks

Atheist
Peasant Status

Frustration

#2 Post by Atheist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:57 am

Am I the only one who uses RSS in these forums?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:13 am

It seems so. :)

Perhaps you can tell everyone how to do it. I don't even know about it!??

Piotyr
Peasant Status

Re: Frustration

#4 Post by Piotyr » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:19 pm

Atheist wrote:Am I the only one who uses RSS in these forums?
Yeah pretty much.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:39 pm

Basically, an RSS feed is an XML document that contains information about recent updates. By subscribing to an RSS feed, your RSS client will periodically download the XML document and notify you if any new items have appeared.

The main point is that you don't have to manually go to a ton of sites to see if they've been updated - instead, the client checks for you, thus saving you time.

See also the Wikipedia article on RSS.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Pidgeot, you're like the wealth of knowledge on these forums. If someone mentions something we don't know about you come immediately on the scene and explain it. And if you don't explain it all you supply a URL to more information. ;)

Interesting stuff, though, this RSS stuff.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Parhelion » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:06 pm

I use an RSS feed from a computer hardware site to keep me updated on the latest prices on parts.  It's supposed to track the lowest prices but it rarely does.  It would be a good idea for AGDI since a lot of us, myself included, don't visit the main page, but if it's a lot of work I could just as easily live without it.

RealRelight
Peasant Status

#8 Post by RealRelight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:29 pm

While it would be a nice feature, I'm not even getting some of the other pressing AGDI stuff I'm working on done, so the website is low on the priority list right now. I'll consider it as a future improvement but the small number of updates to the journals doesn't really justify it either at this time.

EDIT: An alternative would be to have a thread here in the General Forum that I just post to whenever the website is updated to inform everyone.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Music Head » Fri May 27, 2005 1:03 pm

lol, i check the AGDI page for updates every hour manually, i gotta find a hobby. I had an idea just like wat RSS does sort of. But like usual someone had already thought of it :(

Broomie
The Enigma

#10 Post by Broomie » Fri May 27, 2005 1:17 pm

RealRelight wrote:While it would be a nice feature, I'm not even getting some of the other pressing AGDI stuff I'm working on done, so the website is low on the priority list right now. I'll consider it as a future improvement but the small number of updates to the journals doesn't really justify it either at this time.

EDIT: An alternative would be to have a thread here in the General Forum that I just post to whenever the website is updated to inform everyone.
How about something similar to what IA uses.

Relight
Archival Expert

#11 Post by Relight » Fri May 27, 2005 8:01 pm

Well having news on the front page is OK, but we'd rather the front page be shorter and have readily apparent links to each area. If you're checking the front page anyway, you can see the date that changes when a new designer journal is added.

RealRelight
Peasant Status

#12 Post by RealRelight » Fri May 27, 2005 10:37 pm

Although I do like the thing that a lot of people including IA are doing where your news ties into the forum, and people can add comments, and you have a little comments thing after the news item. That way, you can visit the webpage and see the news, or you can visit the forums and see the newest news as well. After the awesome job that NavyNuke did with our new guestbook, maybe he'd consider working on something similar. But as I have said above, it's not really a priority for us to implement such stuff.

A notification in the forum would probably suffice, and I'll create one the next time an update happens.