The Star Wars Thread: Can you feel the force?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#51 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Fri May 27, 2005 2:51 pm

Awesome movie, awesome series.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#52 Post by Angelus3K » Fri May 27, 2005 5:24 pm

Angelus3K wrote:BTW Palpatine said that the Dark Side could create life with the mediclorens things so was Shmi Skywalker impregnated by the force at the will of a Sith Lord??
Noone any thoughts on this?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#53 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri May 27, 2005 6:05 pm

Angelus3K wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:BTW Palpatine said that the Dark Side could create life with the mediclorens things so was Shmi Skywalker impregnated by the force at the will of a Sith Lord??
It's an interesting theory, but I don't really care enough to wonder about the nature of Anakin's conception.

Bt

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#54 Post by Pidgeot » Fri May 27, 2005 6:07 pm

Angelus3K wrote:
My take on it was that Palpatine was lying about those healing abilities to try and get Anakin turned over. He knew that Anakin was concerned about Padmé, so he tricked him into believing that Padmé could be saved if Anakin joined the Dark Side. However, by doing so, he actually made Padmé's health worse, by causing her a great deal of stress - hence why Palpatine notes that Anakin killed her.

The reason I find the story hard to believe is due to the other powers of the Dark Side - they are destructive, not restorative.

Additionally, Healing is one of the Light Side powers, not a Core or Dark Side power.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#55 Post by Angelus3K » Fri May 27, 2005 9:15 pm

Pidgeot wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:
My take on it was that Palpatine was lying about those healing abilities to try and get Anakin turned over. He knew that Anakin was concerned about Padmé, so he tricked him into believing that Padmé could be saved if Anakin joined the Dark Side. However, by doing so, he actually made Padmé's health worse, by causing her a great deal of stress - hence why Palpatine notes that Anakin killed her.

The reason I find the story hard to believe is due to the other powers of the Dark Side - they are destructive, not restorative.

Additionally, Healing is one of the Light Side powers, not a Core or Dark Side power.
Good points there Pidge, I didnt think of Palpatine lying about that.

I thought though his comments about Anakin killing Padme where because he held her in that force grip and caused her to faint, but I guess your right as she did give up the will to live brought on by Anakin's turn to the dark side.

Still, I wonder how his mother became to be with child...

My guess it was a drunken Yoda late home from a Bantha hunt  :lol

"Pretty you are!"

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#56 Post by Vildern » Fri May 27, 2005 10:09 pm

I've just returned from Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith.

Although a bit kitsch, and not as brilliant as The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi, I had a great time watching this film.

It was thrilling as well as surprising.

It is better than Episode I and Episode II, and has the elements, which made the second Trilogy (IV - VI) a big success.

The effects were breathtaking.

I was surprised with the film, not at all disappointed. It's a good closure for the first trilogy.

Recommended!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#57 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 pm

I thought about Palpatine lying to Anakin about that, but I don't really know which to believe. I also came up with the theory that Palpatine sent Anakin those images of the 'future' to make him want to save her etc. But he didn't care one way or the other whether Padme died or not. My opinion is that when he said he killed her in his anger he was referring to when Anakin was choking her and she fainted and the Emperor just lied to him and said that he killed her to drive him that much further toward the dark side making him completely evil (with the exception of course being the good that's always in him).

All in all this was the most moving out of the 6 Star Wars films. It's much better than Episode 1 and 2. I didn't think Episode 2 was much at all...it all seemed so rushed, but I liked Episode 1. Couldn't figure out why most everyone else didn't. It was really neat when they played that same music at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke burned Vader when they finished putting the armour on Vader in Episode 3. And then blending that theme with the imperial march theme. Genius. John Williams did an amazing job with the soundtrack for all 6 movies.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#58 Post by bartonjo2 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Personally, I think that Anakin really did see the future, those images were sent to him so that he wouldn't go down the patht that he did, but he completely went about it all the wrong way, Padme would not have died in childbirth otherwise.  Quite simple.

I started reading the first page of the thread and was going to post my movie mistake but somone already mentioned how leia supposedly remembers her mother, i think she could have met her adoptive mother though because we never hear about her in 456
Last edited by bartonjo2 on Sat May 28, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

#59 Post by Broomie » Sat May 28, 2005 5:55 pm

:lol This was the funniest yet stupidest rumour I ever heard.
When Leia says "I love you" to Han, he replies "I know." He was supposed to say "I love you too" but Carrie Fisher was allegedly stoned during the shooting of this scene and kept messing it up. Harrison Ford was getting annoyed and said "I know" to get the scene over with.
Or, perhaps Han said "I know" to portray his "badass" attuitude. Idiots these days.

Guess it was true... that makes me look foolish.
Last edited by Broomie on Sun May 29, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#60 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:59 pm

Bromios wrote::lol This was the funniest yet stupidest rumour I ever heard.
When Leia says "I love you" to Han, he replies "I know." He was supposed to say "I love you too" but Carrie Fisher was allegedly stoned during the shooting of this scene and kept messing it up. Harrison Ford was getting annoyed and said "I know" to get the scene over with.
Or, perhaps Han said "I know" to portray his "badass" attuitude. Idiots these days.
Listen to Irving Kirschner's commentary on the DVD.  It is a true story.

Bt

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#61 Post by ATMachine » Mon May 30, 2005 1:39 am

Yeah, Carrie Fisher was stoned during most of the Empire Strikes Back film shoot. It was so bad that Harrison Ford had to mouth her lines with her as she spoke. There's one scene aboard the Millennium Falcon (right before they kiss, I believe) where you can see this.

And I do think Palpatine was totally lying. First he hints he can teach Anakin the power to sustain life, then later in the movie he says they will "discover" the power together, in essence admitting that no Sith had attained it.

However, I've read that in early drafts Palpatine did actually make the claim to have been responsible for Anakin's birth. It seems so farfetched, though, given how the final movie showed events (and honestly, how could he have planned things 20 years in advance, down to the detail of Jedi landing on Tatooine?!) that even in that rough draft I'd say it was a lie.

MusicallyInspired

#62 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon May 30, 2005 4:49 am

Actually, Palpatine says that it was a power that only one person has ever known, but working together they could also find the secret.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#63 Post by Angelus3K » Mon May 30, 2005 8:12 am

If Carrie Fisher was stoned how comes she didnt get fired or at the least why didnt George send her home till the next day or something.

Unless he didnt know... I wonder what he did when he did find out lol! "CARRIE!!"

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#64 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 pm

You know, when Yoda and the Emperor are fighting, the guards say, "There's no body!" and the Emperor responds, "Then he's not dead!" But if Yoda died, he would have disappeared like he did in ROTJ.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#65 Post by Vildern » Tue May 31, 2005 2:45 pm

Still, they could have come upon his brown robe ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#66 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:06 pm

MuzlakOofmay wrote:You know, when Yoda and the Emperor are fighting, the guards say, "There's no body!" and the Emperor responds, "Then he's not dead!" But if Yoda died, he would have disappeared like he did in ROTJ.
No, that talent was learned from Qui-Gonn Jinn afterwards.  

Bt

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#67 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue May 31, 2005 9:05 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:
MuzlakOofmay wrote:You know, when Yoda and the Emperor are fighting, the guards say, "There's no body!" and the Emperor responds, "Then he's not dead!" But if Yoda died, he would have disappeared like he did in ROTJ.
No, that talent was learned from Qui-Gonn Jinn afterwards.  

Bt

I considered this possibility, but I don't think so. There was really no time for Yoda to communicate with Qui-Gonn. Even if this were the case, the manner of your death has little to do with whether you can live forever. There is no tie with disappearing and the eternal life, and if there was, it wouldn't work, because Qui-Gonn didn't disappear.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#68 Post by Angelus3K » Tue May 31, 2005 9:09 pm

What I dont get is Qui Gon dies then a couple movies later creeps into Yoda's room one night Scrooge style and goes "Master I have learned this power!"

How could he have learned it when he got owned by Darth Maul?

Another thing I was thinking about, in Episode IV Ben says to Luke that his Father wanted him to have his light saber but Vader didnt know he had a son.

Then after finishing the Episode III video game I noticed that after Obi Wan dismembers Anakin he takes his lightsaber (cant recall what happened in the film) so maybe Obi Wan made that up about Luke's father wanting him to have it maybe Obi Wan wanted Luke to have his father's saber.

Quote of the week

*Episode IV is on TV*

Debs Mam: "What they called, lifesavers?"

Me: "Uh no, its L I G H T S A B E R"

Then there was the "Oh is that Sky Lukewalker?" I then left the room  :rollin

EDIT: Also must note its hilarious playing Lego Star Wars watching the trilogy unfold from a Lego perspective.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#69 Post by bartonjo2 » Tue May 31, 2005 11:17 pm

It didn't show Qui-gon Jinn  creepinginto yodas room in the movie did it?  I didnt see that,I am not gullible I just want to make sure I didnt miss anything

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#70 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:46 am

-- Obi Wan made that stuff up to get Luke off of Tatooine.

-- Qui-Gonn comes to Yoda in a deleted scene from the original script:  It explains that he only talks to Yoda - but he teaches Yoda how to fade into the Force and retain his identity.  A feat which Obi Wan learns in training in the 19 years in which Luke is raised.

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#71 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:06 am

Is that why Qui Gon doesn't show up with Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin at the end? He learned the trick after he died, and therefore was not able to retain his identity?

MusicallyInspired

#72 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:50 am

You watch, for the next 6-dvd box set he'll fix that little discrepancy and put Qui-Gon Jinn in there along with Mace Windu with everyone else.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#73 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:00 am

Maybe you can only appear to people you knew while you were alive...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#74 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:39 am

What I'm saying is how can anyone even a Jedi learn stuff after they die?

BT > Whether Obi Wan made that up or not its very likely that it was actually Anakin's saber that he gives him which is cool!

EDIT: Oh yeah guys wants up with the Google Ads
Download Episode III
Get Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith! Watch on your PC, burn to DVD/VCD.
Not condoning Piracy are we?  :eek

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#75 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:34 am

Not condoning Piracy are we?
EDIT: Weird. Seems like some file sharing network of some sort. Odd that Google would allow them to advertise themselves like that.