An Ode to the Heat: a poem

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

An Ode to the Heat: a poem

#1 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:52 pm

I don't often write poetry but I did today. As I post this it's 30 degrees Celsius with the humidity making it feel like 41 degrees. While I was walking home this afternoon, I was musing about Americans who think we have polar bears visiting our backyards year-round, and thought up the first stanza of this poem, which is, paradoxically, more about Britain than America.

Personally, I prefer the heat and humidity of a Canadian summer to the frigid winds of winter. I am a real Canadian and I like winter, but overall I do prefer summer. So to the Americans (especially southern Americans) who think that Canada is always a cold place, I invite you to read my poem. It's written in iambic verse, although I didn't realise it until it was finished. My bad. :)

An Ode to the Heat

Some say my nation is a place
Where ancient monarch's favoured grace
Is laid upon the sullied ground
Of those whose fates are ne'er more bound
To foggèd banks,
Or ceilinged skies.

Some say the cold, it is the place
Of all the members of our race.
Though race they know not anything,
For theirs is but a coloured string
Of migrant trains,
Likened to us.

Though of the cold-thought men be I,
The heat be that for which I cry,
And rail against the bitter winds!
The winter, with its cursèd strings
Visits mine eye,
Eye of the North.

Yet now the winds of Juno blow,
Which spreads the seeds of joy and sows
The joyful crops of youth and love.
And on the zephyrs from above,
The heat of June,
My one true love.

EDIT: I note in passing that the rhyming couplets are written in iambic tetrameter, and wish to inform the casual reader that that was entirely unintentional on my part. While I am aware of the provenance of iambic verse in English literature it was never my intention to duplicate the powerful and masterful styles of Shakespeare or Donne. As I stated, the poem's first stanza came to me while I was walking home.
Last edited by Charlemagne on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#2 Post by Vildern » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Some say the cold, it is the place
Of all the members of our race.
Though race they know not anything,
For theirs is but a coloured string
Of migrant trains,
Likened to us.
Sounds Robert Graves-ish !  :D

Well done, Charles, I liked it.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#3 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:37 pm

Thank you Vildern! :D None of my poems have ever been compared to Robert Graves, or any other great poet. Unfortunately, I must confess my ignorance of any comparison you've drawn as I know little of Graves' works. Personally, my two favourite poets are are Alfred Tennyson (British) and Edna St. Vincent Millay (American). It seems I'll have to do some reading in the near future. :)

Thanks again!

rosel1
Knight Status

#4 Post by rosel1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:00 am

I love your poem--from start to finish!  

I don't, however, believe polar bears visit your backyard...

just the odd moose once in a while... :p  :lol

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#5 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:44 am

Charlemagne is a little too far south to see polar bears, same as me.  So you are correct rosel1.   ;)

That poem is very well written Charlemagne!  I liked it too.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:05 am

I thought you all lived in Igloo's.  :lol

(Old joke I used to have with a Canadian friend about stupid foreigners who believe that Canadians live in Igloo's and Australian's have Kangaroo's hopping down to main streets of Sydney. Also proved by former President Bill Clinton who went looking around our Federal Parliament grounds for a Kangaroo. Poor guy, probably had other things on his mind....  :lol

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#7 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:05 am

rosel1 wrote:just the odd moose once in a while... :p  :lol
I can honestly say that I've never seen a moose in my backyard. I have seen deer, but never a moose so far. Actually, my former neighbour once gave me some venison that he had personally killed and gutted. It was really good meat. Ghost_Rider is correct, however. I live much too far south to see polar bears, regardless of the time of year. :)
rosel1 wrote:I love your poem--from start to finish!
Ghost_Rider wrote:That poem is very well written Charlemagne!  I liked it too.
Thanks for the kind words! I might just make it as a poet someday, with encouragement like that. :D

EDIT:
Klytos wrote:Old joke I used to have with a Canadian friend about stupid foreigners who believe that Canadians live in Igloo's and Australian's have Kangaroo's hopping down to main streets of Sydney.
I thought the joke was that you were all named Bruce and wore hats with corks swinging in front. :lol :lol

Da_elf
Knight Status

#8 Post by Da_elf » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:26 pm

gee. try comming to live down here in barbados then you will find out what heat and humidity are hehe

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:31 pm

I saw a Moose once.  I was driving in Maine, and there, suddenly in front of me was a giant 8-foot (2.5+ meters) tall Moose.  It was just standing there.  I hit the breaks, and stopped about 10 feet in front of it.  It casually turned it's giant head to look non-chalantly at me, as if to say, "What are you gonna do?  I'm a Moose!"  He dailled a bit longer, and then left with a slow trotting gait.

That moose was the man, and my personal inspiration for how I live my life.  Unfortunately, cars don't seem to stop for me.

And, Mr. Charles Martel the Greater, nice work on the poem.  It certainly applies to my area too.  We have massive heat and humidity right now too!

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#10 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:16 pm

Da_elf wrote:gee. try comming to live down here in barbados then you will find out what heat and humidity are hehe
My mother and her parents were born in Trinidad. While I've never personally been there I have heard the stories. It's funny, in winter my grandmother complains about the cold but when I suggest going back home for a visit she says that she can't stand the heat anymore.
Blackthorne wrote:And, Mr. Charles Martel the Greater, nice work on the poem.  It certainly applies to my area too.  We have massive heat and humidity right now too!
You too, huh? I guess the whole area around Lake Ontario is having a bit of a heat wave. In fact, it's so hot and humid I'm writing this post completely naked.

Klytos

#11 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:33 pm

I'm sitting here reading your post about sitting there naked and feeling something....yeah thats the feeling....cronic illness.  :lol

I lived in a great little City called Mildura for a couple of years (for great replace with total crappy shithole and city replace with dot on a map for total morons.) Anyway, this craphole was hot and humid all day winter spring summer or the other season. Freezing at night. Might have something to do with being a desert. Anyway, they grow awesome grapes there. I got bit by a snake there too.

Back to the heat. It sucks. But you choose to live there, so shutup or move.  :D

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#12 Post by Charlemagne » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:23 pm

Klytos wrote:Back to the heat. It sucks. But you choose to live there, so shutup or move.  :D
Um, you did read my poem, right? I like the heat. I'd have thought Australians don't mind heat, growing up with it like you do. My dad lived in Sydney for a couple of years in the mid-70s and he loved it, especially the perks like getting to celebrate Christmas on the beach.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Temp

#13 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:40 am

I've always preferred winter to summer (though fall and spring trump both).  Mild to cold temperatures are more optimal for me; give me a high temo, high humidity day, and I'm inside, in front of an AC vent, panting like a dog. :D

As to the poem, very nice, Charlemagne.

Klytos

#14 Post by Klytos » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:26 pm

Charlemagne wrote:
Klytos wrote:Back to the heat. It sucks. But you choose to live there, so shutup or move.  :D
Um, you did read my poem, right? I like the heat. I'd have thought Australians don't mind heat, growing up with it like you do. My dad lived in Sydney for a couple of years in the mid-70s and he loved it, especially the perks like getting to celebrate Christmas on the beach.
Yeah man. Just having a bit of a joke with ya. I know you've got a sense of humour, that's why I allow my wit to shine through upon occasion.

Sydney is a god-forsaken hole. I hate the place. If it was a person and he was on fire across the street from me, I wouldn't cross said street to piss on him to put him out.

Christmas is great in summer I'll grant you. But I personally would love a white Christmas, so it really depends where you're from I suppose.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#15 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:50 pm

Klytos wrote:Yeah man. Just having a bit of a joke with ya. I know you've got a sense of humour, that's why I allow my wit to shine through upon occasion.
Of course. I'm an idiot sometimes. :lol
Klytos wrote:Sydney is a god-forsaken hole. I hate the place. If it was a person and he was on fire across the street from me, I wouldn't cross said street to piss on him to put him out.
That's pretty harsh, man. Just think of all the neat attractions for a tourist to see in Sydney. You have the Opera House and... well, I'll definitely see the Opera House if I ever visit. Surely it must have some kind of Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee attraction. Or something. :)

Klytos

#16 Post by Klytos » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:04 am

No it's not harsh enough. The town is a stinking rat infested pile of sloppy horse shit. Seriously. What neat attractions? The Opera House? You see it on tv and you've seen it all. There's nothing else about it. Go for a trip around the harbour on a cruiser, yay! Suck in that unique crap smell of the city, that lovely raw efluent smell (and almost taste) of the lovely harbour breeze. The Bridge is cool, except for the toll to cross it of course.

Steve Irwin lives (and has his zoo) on the Sunshine Coast which is about 50km north of Brisbane, which is about 1000km north of Sydney. Steve Irwin also rocks big time. Croc Dundee was a wanker.

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by hakujinmusume » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:08 am

Hey Charlemagne,

Really liked the poem. (and I run a poetry website!) It's very hard to do rhyming poetry (I won't even touch it...) and I think you pulled it off very well.

I have to disagree with the sentiment, though.   ;)  I can't stand the Canadian summers. Gack! Give me Fall and Spring! Particularly in Ontario (especially Ottawa) where I truly feel like the rugged Canadian of international stereotypes, surviving despite all odds on an inhospitable world!

Everyone thinks its cold in the west (originally from Calgary) but it's dry! -10C in 'central' Canada feels WAY WAY WAY colder than -30C in Alberta.

You're one tough mother to write about how you like the summer heat!

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#18 Post by Charlemagne » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:23 am

hakujinmusume wrote:Really liked the poem. (and I run a poetry website!) It's very hard to do rhyming poetry (I won't even touch it...) and I think you pulled it off very well.
Thanks, although my poems don't always rhyme. I hadn't written a poem in six or seven years, but when I did I rarely wrote unmetered poems. Usually the free verses I wrote ended up sounding like complete and utter crap, and I tore them up almost immediately.
hakujinmusume wrote:I have to disagree with the sentiment, though.   ;)  I can't stand the Canadian summers. Gack! Give me Fall and Spring! Particularly in Ontario (especially Ottawa) where I truly feel like the rugged Canadian of international stereotypes, surviving despite all odds on an inhospitable world!
Personally, autumn is my favourite season. The trees where I live are breathtaking in October, and I love the cool, but not cold weather. :)
hakujinmusume wrote:Everyone thinks its cold in the west (originally from Calgary) but it's dry! -10C in 'central' Canada feels WAY WAY WAY colder than -30C in Alberta.
I've never been out west, but I'll take your word for it.
hakujinmusume wrote:You're one tough mother to write about how you like the summer heat!
As I wrote in an earlier post, my mother's family is from Trinidad. It must be in my blood. I really do like the heat. :lol

Da_elf
Knight Status

#19 Post by Da_elf » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:31 am

you really should head down there just to check it out. do a caribbean cruise or something. although im not sure if trinidad is a usual tourist destination.

Klytos

#20 Post by Klytos » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:32 am

You got any other poems dude?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#21 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 am

Bt, Charles, and Ghost Rider have a seat in my ecology class and we'll see what this heat is all about in our area right now.  you see we all live in the same place or close enough anyways. And the Jet Stream is right above me which is just above Bt, It swings up and around Charles and Ghost Rider who are East of me. Now the way warm and cold fronts work is they come off the see to the west and cross over the continent heading east. The way to predict weather is to see where this jet stream is. (You know the EAC noted in Finding Nemo that was just a current running really fast? The Jet Stream is pretty much the same thing but in the air)

By looking at what side the front is and where the Jet Stream is you can tell where these fronts will go. we've just had a warm front coming in under the JS and it's swerved it's way under and followed it all the way to us. Now the thing is here that we have 2 of them close to both of us which is why Bt and I have been experiancing it a day or 2 longer than you have and you may have a day or 2 more asuming the second front doesn't die in that time or meet a cold front. This is why the wet as it is, because lake ontario is evaporating from the heat and condesing...you know the whole water cycle thing.

Another thing that you should know is how Summer came by, Like all of our seasons it's all caused by the Earths tilt in relativity to the sun. A week ago we had a rather late summer solstice which is when the Earth is perfectly evenly leveled to the sun. As in at high noon if you're standnig on the equator the sun is going to be directly over your head for this day of the year (and the Winter Solstice).

The Solstice is caused by the Earths spinning in a constant wobble. Have you ever played with a top or a dradle? notice how it starts to wobble a bit when losing it's momentum? The Earth has been doing that small wobble for mellenias now. What has happened is the wobble has moved the Lower Hemisphere away from the sun and the Northern Hemisphere towards it. It's hard to explain without a diagram and ASCII doesn't work to well so I'll make a small word picture.

This is now
             Sun

North
Earth
South

This is the Solstice

North
Earth      Sun
South

This is before the Solstice (North hemispheres Winter and Spring)

North
Earth
South

Sun

Now this is basically to say that we are moving just around the sun and rotating ourselves at the same time which causes the wobble it is. The diagrams don't mean we are moving up or down in relativity to the sun that's just the angle at which we see the sun. Really there is no such thing as Up, Down, Nort, Or South. We just made that up to simplify things and put them on maps the same everywhere. Really our maps could be upside down and the whole Earth could be upside down we just wouldn't know about it and we have no refrence to go off of.

In Conclusion with the Northern hemisphere in the suns angle like it is now we are getting the same amount of heat energy from the sun as say South Africa does during our summers. (assuming they're at the same lattidude South as we are North). I hope that clears some things up about why it's so damn hot around here right now now write me a 500 word essay on what you've learned today.

Sorry if this is really basic and you all knew this right now but hey, not everyone can be expected to know everything.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:31 pm

QFG Fan, I'm impressed good sir!  I didn't take the time to read it all, but I liked it.  Every word of it, I liked.

Bt

Klytos

#23 Post by Klytos » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:58 am

Cool.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#24 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:43 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:QFG Fan, I'm impressed good sir!  I didn't take the time to read it all, but I liked it.  Every word of it, I liked.

Bt
That means alot coming from you. Aren't you a journalist? I don't know how I managed to pull that post off but I geuss everyone gets the odd fluke. Even I was surprised at the information re-reading it now. I learned it all in a 9 day course in which I slept most of. Now if only I paid more attention... During our summer the sun never ever sets in the north pole! My goal is to become a teacher and I've heard it said before in old texts "A teacher is a student that never stops learning" and I just hope you've learned someting today about predicting weather.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:44 am

S*** just got my weather exam results 21/35, I geuss I'm better on paper. Well atleast I was in the top 10 of the class, I geuss everyone did poorly on it. (highest mark was 28)

Edit: oops, sorry for double post