The Star Wars Thread: Can you feel the force?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#101 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:47 am

I must admit I'm an avid downloader of all sorts of media. I don't think I've bought a CD in 5 years. Actually thats wrong, I bought a 2nd Hand copy of Velvet Revolver's Contraband for $5 three days before it was released, mostly cause the copies on Kazaa sucked.

To be perfectly honest when it comes to TV and movies I download a fair bit. For example I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and the new series (the first in 16 years) is airing in the UK on Saturday nights at 7:30pm. I download every episode after it airs. The quality is DVD quality every time. I get it through BitTorrent and by the time I start downloading (usually about 9:30pm UK time) there are at least 600 seeders (people who are solely uploading the episode) and 2000 leachers (people who like me are downloading it). After two of three days there's usually a total of about 30000 people getting it. I probably wouldn't bother downloading it if Australian TV played the episode in the same week as the UK. But we're 10 weeks behind.

Movies I really prefer to watch at the cinema. If I get movies online it's usually something really old and obscure that I can't find at Blockbuster. And the quality of the movies online is exceptional usually.

I used to download a lot of TV shows but with the price of DVD's going down so much I can buy entire seasons of shows for $30. I'm happy to spend that. Although Paramount still seem to think that all things Star Trek are worth spending $220 a season. Just never going to happen dudes.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#102 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:01 am

I do not download movies at all. If I like a movie, I just go look for the DVD somewhere cheap. I am not lying, that's what I do.

Games are a different matter. I usually download games before I buy them (which I'll do if I like them - I bought the Doom series three times, that's how much I enjoy the games).

Speaking of Star Wars, do others also think that the games really suck? The movies are awesome, but the games don't manage to work for me. The only respectable SW game I've ever played must be Jedi Knight. The rest is not much special.

Jafar
Super Star

#103 Post by Jafar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:39 am

Well, some games I'd say are avarage (Masters of Teris Kasi and), too many these days are horrid (Super Bombad Racing and Episode II), but there are great games out there. (X-wing and Rogue Squadron) And Rebel Assault II is always fun!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#104 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:01 pm

You cant beat an online match of Star Wars Battlefront.

Battlefront II looks amazing you can actually be flying a ship in space and fly into the docking bay of a Galactic Cruiser land, jump out then start killing clones!!

Broomie
The Enigma

#105 Post by Broomie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 pm

With Lucasarts, they don't seem to really concentrate on the quality of their games. It's more like the quantity of their games. It's like they have a field day when a new Star Wars film is released, don't expect the Star Wars III game to be the only game they base on the movie, if I know Lucasarts, they're going to make so many more games based on the film.

I decided to take the liberty and try to list all the Star Wars Games they've released.

Consoles and PC

Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars: Racer Revenge - Racer 2
Star Wars: Starfighter
Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Star Wars: Starfighter - Special Edition
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: Rebel Strike - Rogue Squadron 3
Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron 2
Star Wars: Arcade Racer
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Behind The Magic
Star Wars: Droid Works
Star Wars: Episode 1 - Battle For Naboo
Star Wars: Episode 1 - Gungan Frontier
Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars: Force Commander
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - The Clone Campaigns
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire
Star Wars: Demolition
Star Wars: Episode 1 - Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars: Masters Of Teras Kasi
Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Star Wars: Tie Fighter: Defender Of The Empire
Star Wars: LEGO: Star Wars (not sure if made by Lucasarts)
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith (Jedi Knight Expansion)
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (Jedi Knight 2)
Star Wars: Jedi Academy

(Game Boy/Game Boy Advance Games)

Star Wars: Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode 2 - The New Droid Army
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith
Star Wars: Flight Of The Falcon
Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice Of The Force
Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Episode 1 - Obi-Wan's Adventures
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars: Yoda Stories

At the moment those are the only ones I could name, I checked all games from past and popular consoles, yet anyone (presumely Braniac or Angelus) could add any games I missed out, which I have a feeling I did because I only checked under Star Wars games, and as you can see some didn't even have that label from what you can see as a game called Tie Fighter.

Yet believe me, for 6 films, 50 games is abit too much if you ask me.
Last edited by Broomie on Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#106 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:04 pm

You mentioned Jedi Knight Academy and Jedi Knight Outcast their was also the original Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II, Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#107 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Jedi Knight and Dark Forces 2 are the same game. And Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight 2 are the same game. This is the complete Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series:

Dark Forces
Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2)
Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith (Jedi Knight Expansion)
Jedi Outcast (Jedi Knight 2)
Jedi Academy

There was also Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, and Super Return of the Jedi for the SNES and also there's X-wing, X-Wing VS Tie Fighter, and X-Wing VS Tie Fighter Balance of Power although the last 2 might be the same game I'm not sure. Oh and also Rebel Assault.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#108 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:14 pm

I can beat you both, here is a list of Every single Star Wars game for every platform it was ever released on!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#109 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Oh yes Star Wars Demolition! I bought that for my brother for the Dreamcast! It used the Vigalante 8 engine. Both are fun games.

Heh also Star Fox 64 is in that list for some reason lol.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#110 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Bromios wrote:With Lucasarts, they don't seem to really concentrate on the quality of their games. It's more like the quantity of their games.

[snip]

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
While I'm not a big fan of Star Wars games for the reason you inferred (mediocre quality), to be fair, the KOTOR series really is top notch. They're two of the best RPGs I've played in recent years.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#111 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lu ... Wars_games. This one doesn't list games that LucasArts themselves didn't develop or publish.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#112 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:55 pm

I thought Battlefront was developed by Pandemic not LA?

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#113 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:27 pm

Yes, but as I said, it also contains games LA published. As publishers, they have some more control over the final game than if they merely license the characters to someone else (as with LEGO Star Wars).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#114 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:34 pm

Pidgeot wrote:Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lu ... Wars_games. This one doesn't list games that LucasArts themselves didn't develop or publish.
But from your qoute you said the list didnt contain games not developed or published by themselves rather than games they didnt develop and publish or uhhh you know what I mean  ;)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#115 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:31 pm

Boolean expression of the statement:

Code: Select all

List NOT if NOT (LucasArts=developer OR LucasArts=publisher) - the intended meaning, inclusive or
List NOT if NOT (LucasArts=developer XOR LucasArts=publisher) - the alternate meaning of "or", only one may be true ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XOR]XOR[/url])
List NOT if NOT (LucasArts=developer AND LucasArts=publisher) - your proposal, requires both to be true
Convinced? :p

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#116 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:52 pm

Yea what I mean is you said the list doesnt contain games LA didnt develop OR publish.

So the list doesnt contain games LA didnt develop and it also doesnt contain games they didnt publish.

What I'm saying is that it does contain a game they didnt develop IE Battlefront I and II.

Don't worry its just me being picky  :lol

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#117 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:45 pm

I went to see Episode III a few days ago. Great movie!