Al Elmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

Al Elmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine

#1 Post by oriel » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:06 am

Ummm, so like, this is your coming project I guess.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but this project doesn't strike me as something that's going to take off.  Right now, the video game industry is heading in the direction of first person shooters, massively multiplayer online role playing games, and The Sims.  I may be wrong, but do adventure games really have a strong demographic these days?  

And will it be released for console?  If it's only a PC release, it's not going to sell as aggressively.

I can understand that you had alot of people download the previous two games.  I mean it's free after all, and it brings back memories of playing the older games.

At least I'll buy a copy.

Oriel
Last edited by oriel on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 am

Yes, it's the upcoming of Himalaya Studios which you can think of as  AGDI's sister company.

We realize that the market is heading into the direction of FPS's, MMORPGs and The Sims, but the con of going "mainstream" is that you also have the big names in the industry to directly compete with and that means that you need at least a few million dollar starting capital in order to have a small chance of drawing customers away from the billion-dollar players, a nearly impossible task for a small starting company. People hear about the big successes in FPS and MMORPG-genres, but hardly hear about the tons of projects that fail to get noticed and fade away in the crowd.

We're not even aiming to rival the sales of big titles in the industry. We're aiming for a niche-market that's less well-adressed by today's entertainment industry with the hopes of turning enough profit to:

1) make a decent living
2) fund the foundation of another project

Everyone who's seen the game so far was quite positive about it. It's not a guarantee for success, but it's an encouraging sign.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:06 am

Well... considering the size of the adventuring community, I don't see your point.

Already the first-person shooters are losing ground. Sims are already dead.

The community has no problem with online role playing games, but it has its limits. The developers don't really have control over the experience. It gets boring after a while, and nothing original can really come from it.

At this moment players are waiting for 'the next big thing', and there doesn't seem to be something in the pipeline. But it will have to be something fantastic.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#4 Post by Da_elf » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:20 pm

would there be any way of creating an adventure game which is multiplayer over a LAN? hehe. would be kinda cool.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by GuJiaXian » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:52 pm

It was done. I beta'd "Uru: Myst Online." The game was a typical Myst adventure, complete with baffling puzzles and beautiful vistas. It was also online, and you could adventure along with other real people (it was set in a 3D world, unlike the other Myst titles). The beta was a lot of fun, if rather underpopulated. When the game was released for retail, I heard that much of the online functionality was stripped away and that the company emphasized the single player game.

So, online adventure games have been tried, and by huge industry leaders, to boot (Cyan, Ubisoft, etc.). It didn't work out.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:33 pm

Al Elmo?  Sounds like a copyright infringement to me!  Better get in touch with those Al Emmo people right away!!!!

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:12 am

I think that while everyone is going around complaining that the adventure game genre is dead, these people are actually going out there and doing something to change that perception.

KQ1, KQ2 and QFG2 were exercises in PR as far as I'm concerned. People downloading games for free is no test of who is actually going to buy it. What it does is test the climate of the market and see if there is still life there. There is, and it's worth the risk of releasing something new.

My major concern (if I was concerned about these things) would be the various torrent sites, and P2P software out there. In a niche market with the game only being sold online would be a big welcome sign to piracy.

jam3s
Peasant Status

#8 Post by jam3s » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:13 am

Klytos wrote: My major concern (if I was concerned about these things) would be the various torrent sites, and P2P software out there. In a niche market with the game only being sold online would be a big welcome sign to piracy.
Why? If the product is placed well and reasonably priced, people will buy regardless of availability.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:48 am

Yes... but if you can download for free (from one of those sites) why buy it? That's his point. Choice between buy-and-download and ... simply download.

Klytos

#10 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:00 am

Exactly my point. I'd actually like to ask a question that may not have been asked before (which will be a change around these forums!). Have you got any anti-piracy software protection in the game?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:47 am

I don't think we will. Professional copy-protections cost a fortune and just pisses off the paying customers. If the Just Adventure forums are to be believed, copy protections are the devil that forces the paying customer through all sorts of hassles while the freeloader just uses a crack.

We're still looking into the distribution methods. We may end up selling printed copies, which would come with printed manuals. People tend to prefer those to burned CD-R's.

Klytos

#12 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:07 pm

Copy Protection, I knew there was a proper term for it.

I assumed it would be an online download.

Are you concerned about piracy? Is this something that has been talked about?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#13 Post by Kurdt » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:32 am

People who say that the adventure genre is dead in the water just simply don't even look at the PC Gaming section of their local Best Buy anymore. True, they don't do FPS and MMORPG numbers, but they have MUCH more room on the shelf than they had 6 years ago. Best Buy has a whole section of the PC Gaming aisle devoted to adventure games, and while you have to study the boxes well to find ones that aren't in the Myst style (which, BTW, is no longer an earmark that it'll be crappy so you're even safer there), there are a bunch of quality titles.

I'm actually still trying to find the time to crack open Moment of Silence and Still Life, but everything I hear about them is just amazing and I can't wait to do so. Also, there's The Black Mirror, Broken Sword, Syberia...a ton. And every day, more titles with amazing potential are added. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the Bone and Martin Mystere adventure adaptations. And, as always, there's the fangame community. The adventure genre isn't dead, it's gathering its forces and it's ready to rock and roll.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Time

#14 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:10 pm

Kurdt wrote:I'm actually still trying to find the time to crack open Moment of Silence...
Find the time.  Trust me on this.  I got it not too long ago and haven't finished it yet, but is it ever worth it...

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:15 pm

I know, man! I look at the box and I'm just like, "Man, I wanna play you soooooo bad." I actually just might make an attempt to do so today.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#16 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:35 pm

I didnt really like Moment of Silence, Still Life is great though and Broken Sword 3 is amazing!!

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

cycles...

#17 Post by johnb4467 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:52 pm

I'm really excited about their upcoming games; I think they will do well. Almost everything goes in cycles...from the most minor thing to nation & world-wide trends. Just like more "traditional" rock music is starting to make a return [lol I hope grunge comes back!], adventure games have likewise been on the low for a while -- and yes at one point I was worried that they would vanish all together.
However AGD has really lead the charge (as far as I'm concerned) of bringing it back. There have, of course, always been wonderful titles like Syberia and The Longest Journey [both of which I haven't played, but are on my list once I finish the games I currently have]...but they have been somewhat spaced out.
I do think adventure games will come back, though of course they will likely need some 'new' hook to grab public attention. Still story is key...as it SHOULD be in any game [though very seldom is now]. I think a major obstacle for adventure gaming, especially on the pc, is that gamers invest a LOT of money in buying a killer 3d card...and when they do that they almost feel OBLIGATED that their game purchases utilize it to the fullest [to get their money's worth, after all!]. Adventure games don't often use 3d, and that's a downside in many eyes. I'd make the argument that adventure games age ***much*** better than 3d games; I think any of the Quest for Glory or King's Quest games look better than a lot of 3d games from just mere years ago.
I am somewhat concerned about piracy of your upcoming releases, but like you said, if they're reasonably priced, then people are quite willing to pay for games. Before cd burners became abundant, I remember when a typical pc game cost around 35 bucks or so...now big-release games are 59? Good gosh! I practically refuse to buy games like that; instead I find myself buy great 'older' games off of ebay used...and get every bit as much enjoyment out of them...but that's neither here nor there.

So yeah -- go AGD and all projects!  ;) ;)

Klytos

Re: cycles...

#18 Post by Klytos » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:56 am

johnb4467 wrote:I am somewhat concerned about piracy of your upcoming releases, but like you said, if they're reasonably priced, then people are quite willing to pay for games.
No they're not. 20-somethings with disposable income are likely to pay for games.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

Re: cycles...

#19 Post by johnb4467 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:00 am

Klytos wrote:
johnb4467 wrote:I am somewhat concerned about piracy of your upcoming releases, but like you said, if they're reasonably priced, then people are quite willing to pay for games.
No they're not. 20-somethings with disposable income are likely to pay for games.
Lol, well they're a heck of a lot more willing to pay for it than if it was $59.99.   :p I'm not going to fight with you over whether people are willing to or not -- no reason to; they're either going to or not. The nice part is that they don't likely have nearly as high of production expenses as a 'huge blockbuster game' like Doom 3 or something, so they're naturally not going to have to sell as many copies to make their money back & fund a next project [which of course was mentioned is all there main goal is]. Piracy is always an issue, but the main niche market of adventure gamers (many of whom are hoping for a 'revival' of genre) are, I think, going to be more willing to support it with legitimate purchases than the rest of the 'gaming audience' would.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#20 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:37 am

We're not even aiming to rival the sales of big titles in the industry. We're aiming for a niche-market that's less well-adressed by today's entertainment industry with the hopes of turning enough profit to:
Well, I'll be sure to be a regular buyer once you guys get started. Not only will I get to play the stuff that you'll make, I'll also be helping to keep you guys alive! :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Purchase power

#21 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:44 am

Paladinlover wrote:
Well, I'll be sure to be a regular buyer once you guys get started. Not only will I get to play the stuff that you'll make, I'll also be helping to keep you guys alive! :)
Here, here!  I second that statement.  You all certainly already have quite an established fanbase, and I'm sure many of us are willing to follow all of you into professional sales.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#22 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:06 am

I just cant wait to play a decent old school adventure game!

Its gonna be a classic before its even installed on my HD!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#23 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:55 pm

I'll definetly pay for it. I wonder if it'll oust broken sword, I liked those games and from what I've seen they look simmilar. Someone should post Al Emmo at GameFaqs as upcoming. I think it would officiate it more, then we can have our own forum there too lol

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#24 Post by Milan Easton » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:09 pm

Thanks guys for your support:)  We're working hard to create an original game that brings back the feeling of the old adventures.  It's a lot of hard work, but it feels good knowing that you're looking forward to seeing the results!

That's a good idea with GameFaqs, by the way.  I'll look into that...

Thanks again for the motivation boost:)

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 am

Hey I'm always willing to share some of my crazy ideas Milan, It'd be cool to feel responsible for that though... I also think that people should use diapers as hats but that ideas sort of in the maybe pile. Hey quick question that just a response would answer. Do the AGD's actively check these forums? I think it would be a good motavational boost I would think and gives you a chance to see if anyone has any ideas to share with you.