It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Great Pruning of '05.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:59 pm 
Honorary AGD

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.

We've decided to do a bit of cleaning up around here. The forums are growing quickly, and beginning to become unmanagable. When I download a backup, it is nearly 200 megs. I've restored from backups a few times on my local machine just playing around. The last backup I restored from took me about 5 hours. Keep in mind that this is on a local machine, and not restoring to a remote server. I shudder to think how long that would take, or if it is even possible.

We've decided to create a new forum. I'll call it "The AGDI Archive". It will be read-only, meaning now new posts or replys can be made there. This forum will contain historically important threads that we don't want deleted. Each thread will be moved to the archive on a case-by-case basis. This is your chance to give us some feedback on what threads you feel are historically important.

Some examples might include:
A regular's first post
Threads that have had actual meaningful conversation and have gone on past a few pages
Threads that contain valuable information that might be important to others

These are just a few examples of the type of things we are looking for. Like I said earlier, each thread will be moved into the archive on a case-by-case basis.

What I'm going to try to do is remove any thread that has not been replied to within the last year. We are going to start with the Off Topic, Poll, and Game Making forums. We are also going to clean up all the locked topics in the KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA forums (where people have asked the same question in more than one thread).

To prevent a thread that you feel is important from being deleted, reply here with the URL of the thread. We'll take a look at it, and if we agree, the thread will be placed in the archive.

By the way, this would also be a good time to clean up your Private Message folders of any messages you no longer need.

I plan on giving everyone a week or two to get their feedback in. Hurry and get your threads listed before the deadline is up!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 pm 
The Sleepy Specter

That's a great idea! I believe Fribbi offered something similar some 10 months ago :)

Visit Sierra Music Central- members get exclusive unreleased soundtracks, special contests with games as prizes, and other perks!

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:11 pm 
Honorary AGD

IIRC, Fribbi's idea was to create a forum for locked threads. Basically one place a person could go to read all the "bad" stuff. This is more or less on the opposite end of the spectum, in that we're moving the "good" stuff there.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:32 pm 
The Enigma

Be sure to add some of my infamous forum games! :D

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:47 pm 
Slacker of Shapeir

you should put all those welcome threads by people with over 1000 posts. That would be kind of neat to see. I love all the welcome threads and most of the birthday threads as well.

Calik Status: Hero of Speilburg Has become the Prince of Shapier and a Hero among Tarnans, after freeing the Mordavians from eternal fear he was zapped to the land of Silmaria where an import bug has him trapped between worlds.
4/5

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: The Great Pruning of '05.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:23 pm 
Honorary AGD

navynuke04 wrote:
To prevent a thread that you feel is important from being deleted, reply here with the URL of the thread. We'll take a look at it, and if we agree, the thread will be placed in the archive.

I can't take the time to track down each of the threads you want saved. Be as specific as possible (give me the URL).

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:50 am 
Vampiric Moderator

Don't delete the "Little Miracle" thread Navy!!!  :) Or if you have to let me know and I can make a back up.

URL:- http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7267

But it keeps getting posted in so it shouldn't be moved I hope lol

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:12 am 
Honorary AGD

Because it has been posted in within the last year, it won't be deleted. I'm going to back everything up before I do the pruning, just in case.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:45 pm 
Hero For Hire

In similar regards to the forums, does anybody else get ad banners now? I see them alot nowadays and I was wondering if anybody else did too. Was that a conscious choice or did it just happen?

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:58 pm 
Honorary AGD

Read the Forum Changes announcement in this forum for the full story.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:06 am 
Canadian Pundit

I'd like to nominate two of my threads for archiving. Both have included some very thought-provoking and stimulating discussions. Or at least, I think so. They are the QFG2 era thread and the Pseudo-controversial question thread.

Also, although it may be a bit presumptuous, I'm rather proud of my essay Heresies of Mimesis, even though it only got two replies (one of which was mine), and would like to nominate it for archiving as well. :)

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:53 pm 
Honorary AGD

The pruning is complete.

Something I didn't expect. The forums reset post counts. You'll notice everyone's postcounts dropped by the number of posts that were pruned. I'll look into getting that fixed.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]