My new story

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

My new story

#1 Post by Charlemagne » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:03 am

I'm writing a new story. In my poetry thread I wrote that I couldn't post the first chapter of it here because "the Americans might not be able to handle it". Of course I was joking, but I do think that the American members of this forum are more likely to be upset by what I've written than the European members (although in most cases, that goes without saying). So I thought I might vet the basic plot of my story here and receive some feedback before deciding whether or not I can or should post it. Here it is:

Elysse is a sorceress, noble and the ruler of a large part Provence in a historically and religiously suspect version of Renaissance France. She rules fairly benevolently with the aid of her apprentice and lover Reynald, a minor noble from a northern Estate. June has just begun and the Summer Masque is at hand when the king announces that he will be holding summer court in the city of Massilia (Marseille), the capital of Elysse's domain. Once the king arrives she and her apprentice find themselves embroiled in a world of courtly politics, intrigue, sex, religion and betrayal.

What I aim to do is present some of the cosmopolitan spirit, vitality and eroticism of the Arabian Nights in a slightly different setting. The real Arabian Nights, mind you; not the watered-down, bastardized version that gets made into Disney movies. I've also drawn some inspiration from Shakespeare's wonderfully decadent and vivacious Sicilian play Much Ado About Nothing. Its gay summer theme of love, implied and admitted, between Benedick and Beatrice, Claudio and Hero, and marred by the scheming of Don John the Bastard and his henchmen provides much material for me to draw on for my story.

So what do you say? Is this a story that the members of this forum would enjoy reading? Or should I keep it to myself and my close friends?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:45 am

Post it, you shouldn't have to worry about being offensive on this forum unless it's obvious and your common sense tells you otherwise, place a waning and if it is to over-the-top it will be locked or deleted and that will be that.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:39 am

Out of curiosity, why do you think Americans wouldn't be able to handle it?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#4 Post by Vildern » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:22 am

navynuke04 wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you think Americans wouldn't be able to handle it?
Cause the story is about fictionary French people, and Americans were the ones to rename French Fries to Freedom Fries.

Hence, Americans would not like stories about fictionary French people. Unless it is disgrading them and calls them Frog Eaters.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:19 am

I doubt that statement. While I'm sure there's still a few backwoods individuals eagerly boycotting anything french because their favourite radio show host told them so one and a half year back, the notion of Americans having allergic reactions to anything French is a little far-sought. What I think he's aiming for is the inclusion of certain erotic elements. Most people agree American culture has a taboo on sexual subjects that's maintained slightly stricter than on, say, violence.

That said, everyone is aware we're aiming to keep things PG-rated here. That aim is completely unrelated to the current population of the forums. (in other words, policies are not affected by the demographic composition of the forums during any particular moment)

So the hypothetical question that serves as a general guideline is...would a mom (in general; keeping culture out of the picture) who knew her 13-year old kid was frequenting these forums approve of your contribution? If not, then second thoughts are perhaps in order.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Hmmmm

#6 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm

So the hypothetical question that serves as a general guideline is...would a mom (in general; keeping culture out of the picture) who knew her 13-year old kid was frequenting these forums approve of your contribution? If not, then second thoughts are perhaps in order.
Would you be refering to me as this 13 year old? Hey! I'm going to be 14 in a month so.....  :|

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:39 pm

It's a hypothetical question FG. Don't stress dude!  :D

It's a common misconception that American's don't have a sense of humour. They do, they just can't generally pay themselves out, of hear other people pay them out without being offended. This of course is a broad statement and I'm positive there are exceptions to the rule.

I think it's a British (Canadian, Australian and Kiwi) thing that we understand self-depricating (sp?) wit a lot better than the general American populous. That said, they did make Road Trip which is one of the greatest movies of all time. IMHO.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#8 Post by Charlemagne » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:20 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you think Americans wouldn't be able to handle it?
I was joking. I'm sure many Americans could handle my story without any problems. That said, I do tend to write about things that might get Americans upset, such as prisoner abuse, the war in Iraq/on terror and why George W. Bush is an evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet. ;)

Erpy is correct. I was concerned that various elements of eroticism and sexuality that make up part of the plot might upset some Americans because such topics are much more culturally taboo than in Europe.

As for the hypothetical question, I don't think that a European or Australian kid's mother would have a problem with him/her reading my story, but then, every mother is different. Ahh, never mind for now, I'm still working on the first chapter.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:13 am

Dude, I never called French Fries "Freedom Fries".  That's rediculous.  Frankly, I'm embarressed that GROWN MEN in my country resorted to doing something as schoolyard childish as that.

I don't take offence to what other people have to say about America.  There are truths, and there are myths and misconceptions.  That comes with extistance.  If one cannot deal with that, with a smile on their face, then they have a problem.  

Also, I know we can kick your ass.  Neener-neener-boo-boo.

But seriously, I'm American and I love my country.  So much so, that I think other people have a right to say what they want about it.  

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#10 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 am

Well said. I echo BT's comments.

Klytos

#11 Post by Klytos » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:33 pm

Articulate. I'm impressed man.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:01 pm

Klytos wrote:Articulate. I'm impressed man.
Well, I'm not a complete slobbering Mongoloid!

Anyway, I'd love to read Charlemagne's story.  I always enjoy his work.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 am

Any word on this story? Bt you're a journalist kind of guy. If I were to write a page on Microsoft word or something what would that add up to in a novel? people are like "You've written a 4 page opening chapter? Harry potter was 15. however harry potter pages are smaller than say printer pages. is there reallly any conversion or guideline?

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by hakujinmusume » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:53 pm

Ok! I'm in the middle of converting Game Quest from .doc files to actual book pages. I think I can answer this one! ;)

People will give you a lot of generic formulas - 1 Word page = 1.5 book pages, etc...

That formula is pretty close, but it all depends on the book. If you take a look at a book, they are not all the same shape. A publisher can squeeze a short novel into the standardly accepted 250 pages by making it smaller. Font size, spacing between the rows, margins, etc... all play a huge role in how long the book will be. If you've got a 300 page book and you want to knock it down to 275 pages, all you really have to do is drop the font size half a point. Readers won't notice the difference... But there's no real formula except that one single space Word page is definately more than one book page. I usually assume that 1 page = 2 book pages. It's safe that way, but you can do magic with graphic design, short or long.

Anyway, about Charlemagne's concerns, I'd just put it up! It's always hard. Writing something you are totally free, but as soon as you have to put it out there it gets very scary, you don't want people to think your work sucks, really don't want to offend anybody (especially if they're friends!). But, to a certain degree, that can't be helped. If you believed in the work when you wrote it, you owe it to the story and yourself to put it out there. It's the only way you'll know and I think you'll find it's worth it!

Even in Calgary some restaurant chain started calling fries Freedom Fries. Rediculous - we're not even IN the war, plus a significant part of our population is French! She had a big backlash for that.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:35 pm

hmm maybe I should post my story I'm co writing Lord Of York just to see what cynical New Yorkers might think.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#16 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:06 pm

hakujinmusume wrote:Ok! I'm in the middle of converting Game Quest from .doc files to actual book pages. I think I can answer this one! ;)
You write stories on a computer? Ugh! I could never do that. I feel incredibly un-creative when I have to type things onto a screen.
hakujinmusume wrote:Anyway, about Charlemagne's concerns, I'd just put it up! It's always hard. Writing something you are totally free, but as soon as you have to put it out there it gets very scary, you don't want people to think your work sucks, really don't want to offend anybody (especially if they're friends!).
Actually, I post stuff fully expecting that some people will think it sucks. It doesn't scare me and I just ignore the criticism I don't like. :) I do, however, get some very interesting feedback, which is really why I post things.

As for the story, I'm still working on it. Not lately, but my notebook is around here somewhere and I have been meaning to write some more. Maybe this weekend. Even when it's done, though, I'll have to re-read and revise it to make sure the flow is OK. I'll keep you posted.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#17 Post by 1eyedParrot » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:42 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:Dude, I never called French Fries "Freedom Fries".  That's rediculous.
Bt; there is no "red" in ridiculous.
Charlemagne wrote: I'm writing a new story. In my poetry thread I wrote that I couldn't post the first chapter of it here because "the Americans might not be able to handle it".
Charles; crezcas unos cajones mi amigo.

Klytos

#18 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:43 am

You have ugly feet.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm

1eyedParrot wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Dude, I never called French Fries "Freedom Fries".  That's rediculous.
Bt; there is no "red" in ridiculous.
I know.  Even I make a ridiculous spelling error every once in a while.
I hang my head in shame - I'm preparing to be very drunk for the next three days now, as I lament my poor grammar.

Bt

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by FatherGhostface » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:02 pm

Klytos wrote:You have ugly feet.
And one eye...oooooooo... you got it bad!

Klytos

#21 Post by Klytos » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 am

I'm preparing to be very drunk for the next three days now, as I lament my poor grammar.
Yeah man. Rock on.

hakujinmusume
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by hakujinmusume » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Charlemagne wrote:You write stories on a computer? Ugh! I could never do that. I feel incredibly un-creative when I have to type things onto a screen.
Yeah, i don't particularly like it either (actually, in this case I'm actually just converting it into book design from a word file...) but my hand writing can't even hope to keep up to my mind...typing at least comes close. Sometimes I still use a notebook, though...
Charlemagne wrote:Even when it's done, though, I'll have to re-read and revise it to make sure the flow is OK. I'll keep you posted.
Yeah, it's always important to come back just as a reader to see how it looks. Good luck with it!