London 2012

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

London 2012

#1 Post by Broomie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Looks like London will host the Olympics 2012, I am so not looking forward to it myself, but it's great to have our city host one of the biggest events in history.

I'm only happy about it because Jaque Shirak deserved not to get it after his comments and ego putting the judges off on who should get it. I think we could pull off a good one, and this time Paula Radcliffe (if she's still doing it) could run this time and not pull out.

What do you think about the result? Are you happy we're getting it? Or do you think another city deserved it more?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:56 pm

So London was chosen??

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#3 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:25 pm

Yeah, but so what? I really don't give a rats ass about the olympics.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

Re:

#4 Post by Vildern » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:35 pm

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:Yeah, but so what? I really don't give a rats ass about the olympics.
Then, why posting in this thread? You could have just as well as skipped it, as you do with so many other threads, which bear little to no interest to you.

And, yes, Angelus, seems like London was chosen. Congrats!

Broomie
The Enigma

Re:

#5 Post by Broomie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:Yeah, but so what? I really don't give a rats ass about the olympics.
Vildern is right you really don't add anything useful to threads, you just moan about something. As my mother used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, STFU!"  ;)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Alias » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:10 pm

I was there, it was cool.  ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:10 pm

ThreeHeadedMonkey has been quite acerbic lately.  

Are you regular, or in need of some fiber?

Bt

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

Re: London 2012

#8 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:19 pm

Bromios wrote:Jaque Shirak
*shudder* His name is Jacques Chirac! :p

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re:

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Spoken like a true loser  :lol

Broomie
The Enigma

#10 Post by Broomie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Charlemagne wrote:
Well blame Google, I had no idea how you spell his name so I just put what I thought it was spelt like into Google and it came out with many results saying that.

Btw, I just realized I was right the first time anyway. :rolleyes

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#11 Post by Vildern » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 pm

Charlemagne wrote:
What can I say, French names are at times difficult to *guess*. I remember I tried to write the name of Jean Chretien at a chat once, and wrote it terribly wrong: Jun Cartier. I think it was you Charles, who spotted the mistake :p

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#12 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:38 am

Yay for London. Well Done! I love watching the Olympics. I prefer watching the Commonwealth games cause we usually win. Still, the Olympics are easier without the USSR. That's how damn OLD I am!

BTW : That French president guy. Man that was funny stuff.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:03 am

Congrats to the Brits. At least the US didn't get it... again. I hope I'll be able to go.

I hope they bring 7s Rugby in for 2012. I'm almost sure they will!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Olympics

#14 Post by rugged » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:40 am

Having just travelled through Paris (and writing this from London), I  am really surprised that London won. Paris seems to have a much better infastructure (sp?), to bad they cocked up their bid with arrogance.

I hope they bring 7s Rugby in for 2012. I'm almost sure they will!
While this would almost certainly give NZ an extra gold (and we don't get many) I don't believe 7s should be added to the Olympics, if a sport is in the Olympics winning a gold should be the pinnacle of that sport. Things like the RWC and even beating the Lions !! Would still rate as a much higher accolade then winning a sevens competition. Still they have let some other sports in where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle, its just my opinion.

Klytos

#15 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:43 am

Didn't they used to have Rugby at the Olympics a few years ago? I think 7's would be good.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Rugby in the Olympics

#16 Post by rugged » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:58 am

Rugby hasn't been in the Olympics since 1924 and strangely enough the reigning Olympic champions are America.
7s was in the last commonwealth games though (NZ winning gold of course).

The other problem I have with 7s being in the Olympics is it is more of a festival sport then a real serious one. None of the super 12 players even play in the world circut of sevens.  To me it would be like adding 20 -20 cricket to the Olympics (shudder)

Klytos

#17 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 am

I musta been thinking of the Commonwealth games. I remember we did a League 7's in 2000 about a month before the Olympics. Total rubbish.

20-20 cricket is an absolute joke. I hate it. You want a quicker game? Play baseball.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Olympics

#18 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:18 am

Well... they did bring basketball into the Olympics, and it's much less an international sport. (Yeah... many people play basketball at home... but you don't see Trivial Pursuit as an Olympic sport, now do you?)
rugged wrote: While this would almost certainly give NZ an extra gold
.... I'll answer to that when I stopped laughing my @ss off!  :lol

All Blacks??? The chokers???

rugged
Defense Minister Status

7s

#19 Post by rugged » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 am

Basketball is much bigger internationally then 7s. Also the olympics is the pinnicle of international Bball. So much so that NZ finished 4th at the world champs becuase no one gave a stuff about them, but they all send their best teams to the Olympics.

All Blacks??? The chokers???
The All Blacks play xv a side rugby not sevens,

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:21 pm

Yes. And I'm pretty sure you weren't refering to them.  :p

As for the 7s... one would swear they never lose. It doesn't look like the All Blacks will remain strong in the future. As the Fidji, Tonga and Somoan teams are growing it seems less and less like the NZ teams will be able to feed of them. Once they have sponsors of note, NZ will have to look at their own lacking pool of players.

Klytos

#21 Post by Klytos » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 am

Or steal more League players like Australia had to do.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#22 Post by Kurdt » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Yeah, congrats on the Olympic bid, man. Y'all beat out my hometown, and while that doesn't break my heart it kinda pisses me off that my city spent millions of dollars trying to attract the Olympics and didn't even come close.
Gronagor wrote:At least the US didn't get it... again.
I don't understand what you mean by that. The last time we had the Olympics was 1996, 2 Olympics ago. By 2012, it would make it 4 Olympics not in America. You think we're hogging it or something?

rugged
Defense Minister Status

All blacks

#23 Post by rugged » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:10 pm

As for the 7s... one would swear they never lose. It doesn't look like the All Blacks will remain strong in the future. As the Fidji, Tonga and Somoan teams are growing it seems less and less like the NZ teams will be able to feed of them. Once they have sponsors of note, NZ will have to look at their own lacking pool of players.
I honestly don't think this will be a problem. Auckland has the largets pacific island population in the world. Very few of the players have been exported from the islands. instead they have lived their whole lives in NZ. They all grow up with the dream of representing the All Blacks.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#24 Post by Da_elf » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:48 pm

Kurdt wrote: I don't understand what you mean by that. The last time we had the Olympics was 1996, 2 Olympics ago. By 2012, it would make it 4 Olympics not in America. You think we're hogging it or something?
{start rant}
hmmm. lets see. 4 olympics out of the 25 games. They have had it more than any other country. I remember america wanted the last one to be up for bids as well so they could bid on it. Seemed the rest of the world had enough respect for the games to know that a special event like that needed to be held at the birth place of both ancient and modern olympics.
Id be glad to never see an olympics in america again. Im sorry to all you nice americans who have to be brought down by all the other aragant pompus ones that give america such a hated name. i know not all of you are bad but living down here on a tourist destination island we get alot of americans and 80% of them are such....but i digress... the aragance or pompusness i refer to pissed me off in the atlanta games where american broadcas companies had the major rights to televise it and anyone stuck with those stations were screwed over. Basically if an american was not in an event, it wasnt televised. Seems the forgot the rest of the world was watching. I live on a small island and we dont have the kinda sports technology of the rest of the world. but when the few members of my country are in an event id atleast like to know about it. in the atlanta games our girl came 5th overall. its not a medal possition but hey. 5th in the olympics is cool to me. In that one i think 2 americans got medals and 1 came 6th. so they called when they reported on the even the mentioned 1st, 2nd and 3rd place...then mentioned 6th place...hello. last time i studied maths 4 and 5 came between 3 and 6. If this is how they plan on doing it for another games id just rather they never got it again. {Rant over}

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#25 Post by Kurdt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:14 pm

<counterrant>
Okay, you wanna play that game? Including 2012 the UK (specifically London) has hosted it 3 times (1908, 1948, 2012). France hosted it twice (1900, 1924) as did Australia (1956, 2000), Germany (1936, 1972), and Greece (1896, 2004). Before Atlanta 1996 there was Los Angeles in 1984, and before that there was Los Angeles in 1932 and St. Louis in 1904. Other than the relatively close spacings in '84 and '96, our hosting of the Olympics has been pretty spaced out, so please don't try to nitpick every move every American makes as pompous and imperialist. Sometimes we just want an economy boost due to tourism and the honor of hosting the Olympics.

And I'm sorry for the rest of the people of the world who don't care one way or another about Americans who get their names dragged through the mud because all any American hears when he/she's abroad is how evil we are and how we only think of ourselves and how we just make everyone's lives miserable, as if an American walks by and kicks them in the balls once a day before they go to work. I hate the fact that if anything having remotely to do with American tradition or happenings or sporting events is said here that I have to read at least 3 posts of people bashing America simply because "*gasp!* They're Americans! They drink watered-down beer and play bastardized sports and think they're the center of the universe." Well, I'm not on the streets listening to the rest of the world talk, but if the crappiness of America is talked about on the street as frequently as it's talked about here, I'd say that's unhealthy.

Americans don't talk about other countries all the time. In fact, if people DO talk about other countries, they talk about how beautiful they are and how they'd love to go someday. Even France, who has been the butt of every American joke at least once, has Americans wanting to go to it to see its beauty. Even when we have preconceptions about a culture's attitude, we don't write off the whole goddamned place. I just put my girlfriend on a plane to Ireland where she'll be spending the next 5 weeks learning about the culture and their body of literary successes. She's going to write stories about her experiences in Ireland. I don't get to see my girlfriend for over a month because she has such respect for a culture that she's going there to study them. Does this fit your demographic of the "asshole American?" I know, you said you apologize to us "nice Americans," but formalities don't really go a long way in consolation when you turn around and deride everything else about American life.

Back to the Olympics, you don't have a problem with Americans, you have a problem with corporations and greedy businessmen. Those are everywhere. The only reason you're targeting America is because they happened to be from America. What if it was a German broadcasting company that had the exclusive rights? What if only Russian competitors were covered in the Olympics? Would that be better or worse? Does it add extra salt to the wound BECAUSE it was an American company? I personally think that no matter what it's just a bad thing. I wouldn't look at it like it was an American protecting American interests, but as a greedy corporation flexing its conglomerate powers to show off its d*** size, so please attempt not to judge a nation by the fact that we have evil corporations infiltrating a time-honored sporting event. If corporations from your country had the power they would do the same; but then that would put you in my position, defending your country's evils because that's all anyone else cares to see.

Sorry for biting your head off (no, not really), but I'm sick and tired of seemingly being the only person in the universe who doesn't judge a book by its cover or a nation by its press. Shockingly enough, I judge independant people by their words and their actions, not where they came from. All I ask is that others at least make an attempt to do the same.
</counterrant>