Any updated info on QFGII Release Date?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Skyshark
Knight Status

#26 Post by Skyshark » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:56 am

Good to hear about some form of progress, Nuke. :D

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#27 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:53 am

The last journal was about a trip, but it's not completely unrelated to the game. Among the info we found at the Coles' place was one particular thing that was scrapped from the original QFG2 game, but we thought it was too cool to leave out and the info about it we found allowed us to implement it into our project. A significant part of the work went into that last month, but we think most people will like it a lot.

PValiant
Knight Status

The saurus repair shop?

#28 Post by PValiant » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:45 am

See title :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#29 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:50 am

That was announced ages ago. Now I'm to excited to wait for whatever it was. I hope it's the chest!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#30 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:34 am

I don't think the chest will take them a whole month to implement.  :\

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#31 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:47 am

what if it's a big one lol. I just noticed Skyshark has a quote from me as his sig. Probably the only thing I said on the forums where I laughed outloud as I typed it. I acknowledge my 800th post to you Skyshark

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#32 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:28 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The last journal was about a trip, but it's not completely unrelated to the game. Among the info we found at the Coles' place was one particular thing that was scrapped from the original QFG2 game, but we thought it was too cool to leave out and the info about it we found allowed us to implement it into our project. A significant part of the work went into that last month, but we think most people will like it a lot.
Just ignore threads like this. They suck. The people who post them suck. Just concentrate on the game. I respect your work, and so should others.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

ThreeHeadedMonkey brushed his teeth with Preperation H today

#33 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:53 pm

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The last journal was about a trip, but it's not completely unrelated to the game. Among the info we found at the Coles' place was one particular thing that was scrapped from the original QFG2 game, but we thought it was too cool to leave out and the info about it we found allowed us to implement it into our project. A significant part of the work went into that last month, but we think most people will like it a lot.
Just ignore threads like this. They suck. The people who post them suck. Just concentrate on the game. I respect your work, and so should others.
Hey - we do.   People that start them just aren't regulars around the forums, and curiosity gets the better of them.  Actually, this thread has recieved some very good repsonses from the AGDI team, with NavyNuke giving some nice update info, and AGD2 talking about a new implementation in QFGII.  It's info - amateur remakes are not about definite "ship" dates, which is nice because we get a good product, not one that HAS to ship because it has to sell in the 3rd quarter.

These threads can be annoying, but it's been awhile since one and we got some more information out of it.  Cheers!

Bt

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#34 Post by wickedthistle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:31 pm

I can't wait to see what the surprise is! I hope it's the garage, or maybe some more silly clowns  ;)

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#35 Post by 1eyedParrot » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:00 am

QFG2VGA isn't coming out.....but QFG2 Super EGA is! Thats why its taking so long, a massive 17 super colors of visual orgasm.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#36 Post by Skyshark » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:what if it's a big one lol. I just noticed Skyshark has a quote from me as his sig. Probably the only thing I said on the forums where I laughed outloud as I typed it. I acknowledge my 800th post to you Skyshark
Heheh, cheers. I got a very good chuckle out of it, so I thought I'd stick in my siggy. :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#37 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:40 pm

apparently more of chuckle then when Steffi said "ACK that's not me I'm a girl I have boobs"

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#38 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:18 am

Or when Squidward said "If I had a dollar for every brain you don't have, I'd have one dollar." to Sponge Bob.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#39 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:08 am

WHAT!? ARE YOU KIDDING? AGH now I gotta change it. all this time I though my friend was being original.

Edit: Ok I heard this one said 3 months ago on my last day at work and it still holds place as byfar the funniest thing I've ever heard. I just hope it isn't to over-the-top

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#40 Post by TravisOwens » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Progress is still being made on the game. I guess you could say it is a "pre-alpha" stage, where it is being tested by programmers to iron out any major bugs before the rest of the team gets it. As far as I know, I don't think there is any "major" scripting left to be done. Right now it's a matter of polishing up what is there. The last bug list I saw was pretty big, but it is being worked through. Just have patience.
Considering I've been visiting this website & forum for years, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume QfG2VGA will go final spring or summer 2006.

As NavyNuke himself says, they are "pre-alpha" and the bug list is "pretty big".  As a person who developes software for a living I can say that a home/amateur project just entering the stages of programmer testing means a bug might come up that will require some larger unseen changes, although thank heaven the AGD team isn't coding their game engine from scratch so such bugs shouldn't rear their ugly head.

I'm just rough guessing it but I would expect the game to become "alpha" late fall or early winter 2005, then after all the major bugs are squashed the game should go beta in late winter 2006.  I'd also like to point out I'm being optimistic about an early release.  Yes, I feel spring 2006 would mean the AGD team worked their arse off to meet that deadline.

The best thing the AGD can do is stop giving us "maybe" dates as they have always included loads of padding and the AGD still can't reach them by a long shot (thats just the catch of hobby projects).  But as a fellow developer, I can say I know how coding goes and it doesn't surprise me that QfG2VGA is years past it's original schedule, especially wen you are taking about a project that everybody does in their spare time.  Even if it takes 12yrs to make, the fact that the AGD can finish a project is bragging rights, as it's something very few others can accomplish,  when it comes to fan remakes.

On a whole different subject, am I the only person annoyed by the fact that QfG2VGA isn't worthy of it's own forum subject?  I mean, the whole purpose of forum subjects is to break up the chatter by SUBJECT, and I think we can all say that QfG2VGA dominates the forum, making it more than worthy of it's own subject.  Claiming the game has to be done before it deserves a new subject is just silly, as we're going to talk about the game anyways, at least give us a proper home for the posts.
Last edited by TravisOwens on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#41 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:59 pm

Well, the idea of individual forums for things is for stuff, as you say, that is too big to let fly around the rest of the place. Right now, since AGDI is only working on QFG2VGA, to have a QFG2VGA forum would negate the need for the General Forum, since there's no real AGDI-related stuff going on right now aside from QFG2VGA. When the game is released, they'll put up a section for it so that hints, help, and other things can be discussed within it. Before that, though, there's no need.

As for the "hobby project" part, you are actually wrong about it this time. These guys don't do it in their spare time. These guys do it every waking hour they're not working. They've got their own game company (Himalaya Studios) that's working on Al Emmo and at the same time they're working on QFG2VGA. They're double-teaming 2 games. Every hour they don't spend at a regular job to make ends meat, they're doing this. This is different from places like Hero6 or KQ9 or SQ7, where it's basically people doing a little bit of work whenever they feel like it. They're doing this every day. It's as much of a career as it is anything else.

However, you are probably right as far as testing times go, though I think you've overestimated the alpha testing time. While it'll take a while, I doubt they'll spend a whole year alpha testing it. They only alpha tested KQ2+ for about 3 or 4 months if I recall correctly and beta tested for about 3 or so. Since QFG2 is a much bigger game, I'd guess they'll alpha for about 6 or so months and beta for another 4 or 5. But then again, who knows? It'll be done when it's done, and when it's done it'll probably be as perfect as humanly possible.

Broomie
The Enigma

#42 Post by Broomie » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:07 am

TravisOwens wrote:On a whole different subject, am I the only person annoyed by the fact that QfG2VGA isn't worthy of it's own forum subject?  I mean, the whole purpose of forum subjects is to break up the chatter by SUBJECT, and I think we can all say that QfG2VGA dominates the forum, making it more than worthy of it's own subject.  Claiming the game has to be done before it deserves a new subject is just silly, as we're going to talk about the game anyways, at least give us a proper home for the posts.
Kurdt saved me some time on replying to the main point of your post, so I'll just reply to this one.

The whole point of the KQ1VGA forum and KQ2 is for hints and tips basically, and the occasional "This game is teh rox0rz!!11" so there wouldn't be any point for holding a forum for game that hasn't been released. It's been asked time and time again, and there won't be a forum for QFG2VGA until it is released.

Yet in response to the main point of your thread, I really doubt seeing QFG2VGA released in 2006, if anything it has to be released this year. This isn't defense, I just know it. ;)

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#43 Post by TravisOwens » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:05 pm

Kurdt wrote:As for the "hobby project" part, you are actually wrong about it this time. These guys don't do it in their spare time. These guys do it every waking hour they're not working.
Ahh, well that's awesome, now I know why they're able to finish their games unlike other groups.
Kurdt wrote:I doubt they'll spend a whole year alpha testing it. They only alpha tested KQ2+ for about 3 or 4 months if I recall correctly and beta tested for about 3 or so.
I didn't claim it would take a full year of testing, I said they wouldn't even be ready for "alpha" until this fall or early winter, which by the sound of it, is very reasonable.  As I quoted NavyNuke saying, they are only in "pre-alpha" right now and his wording indicates theres a lot of work left.  So if the alpha won't be ready until October 2005 and it takes 3-4 months for alpha and 3 months for beta, then QfG2VGA would be ready on May 2006.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#44 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Yeah but you said they were gonna go into beta late winter 2006. Was that a typo on your part?

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#45 Post by TravisOwens » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:32 pm

Kurdt wrote:Yeah but you said they were gonna go into beta late winter 2006. Was that a typo on your part?
Early winter is Nov/Dec, late winter is Jan/Feb.  So when I said late winter 2006 I meant Jan or Feb.  Sorry about that confusion.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#46 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:05 pm

Ah, okay, understood. Sorry.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Rolling release date

#47 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:15 am

Heck, it's not like the rolling release date is something only AGDI is a victim of; even professional developers suffer it from time to time (at least, the ones who recognize quality > deadlines).  The new Fool game from CliFF (that's how he likes it spelled; don't ask me why) Johnson has suffered rollback after rollback, but his fans don't care, just like AGDI's fans don't - they know quality is coming.

Oh, and welcome (officially) to the forums, Travis.  You said you've been here for a long time; were you a lurker or did you create a new account?

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

Re: Rolling release date

#48 Post by TravisOwens » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:58 am

Brainiac wrote:Oh, and welcome (officially) to the forums, Travis.  You said you've been here for a long time; were you a lurker or did you create a new account?
Thanks, yes I was a lurker and this post made me want to sign up so I could comment on the subject.  I think in the past I might have posted anonymously, or maybe it was somewhere else.

On a tangent, I've recently been active on SpaceQuest.net's forums and have become highly active in numerous tech blogs (mostly blogs.msdn.com ).

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#49 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:53 am

TravisOwens wrote:Early winter is Nov/Dec, late winter is Jan/Feb.  So when I said late winter 2006 I meant Jan or Feb.  Sorry about that confusion.
Just remember that the members here ain't all from the Northern Hemisphere. For example AGD2 himself comes from Australia. So.... don't use the seasons. Late winter here would be July/August 2006.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#50 Post by Skyshark » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:49 pm

Yep, a lot of us Southern Hemisphere people tend to be forgotten about when it comes to seasonal release dates, but I generally automatically convert to the appropriate opposite season when I see these such dates on a internet forum, unless it's an Australian or Australian-dominated forum.

It is better to use months than seasons, for this reason, partiularly to keep confusion to a minimum.