The Sierra VGA Background Remakes Thread

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#426 Post by LucasFan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 am

Klytos wrote:IA's next project is a remake of KQ1.
I suppose you don't mean a remake of that cancelled KQ1-parody, or?  ;)

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#427 Post by JLM5 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Yeah, really - this thread was merely a good way for artists to meet each other and see how VGA conversion can work.  I think it was successful in that regard.
Bt
What...?  :rolleyes

I at least created those backgrounds and paintovers because I thought they could be used in SQ2VGA sometimes. I really hope I haven't created them in vain?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#428 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:08 am

LucasFan wrote:
Klytos wrote:IA's next project is a remake of KQ1.
I suppose you don't mean a remake of that cancelled KQ1-parody, or?  ;)
Maybe ;)

Broomie
The Enigma

#429 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:01 pm

JLM5 wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Yeah, really - this thread was merely a good way for artists to meet each other and see how VGA conversion can work.  I think it was successful in that regard.
Bt
What...?  :rolleyes

I at least created those backgrounds and paintovers because I thought they could be used in SQ2VGA sometimes. I really hope I haven't created them in vain?
Well, if you had read the first post you would have known that yes you have created them just for fun and practice. There isn't a planned SQ2VGA from these backgrounds, it was as BT said a way of showing other people your skills and trying to remake every background in SQ2.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#430 Post by JLM5 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:22 pm

I have read the first post, yes.

But I thought that when all the backgrounds are remaked, someone will indeed (sometimes) create a game that includes all the remaked backgrounds... :rolleyes

Broomie
The Enigma

#431 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:56 pm

No there isn't a planned remake to use all these backgrounds.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#432 Post by Alias » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:52 pm

IF we were to make this into a proper game I meerly stated that we would need to convert most backgrounds to suit each others style, Sierra's Artists woked close together to try and get a perfect style that matched throughout the whole game, not 100% aqurate but well done, BT.

No need for unpleasantries, oh not-so wise blackthorn.  ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#433 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:54 pm

Alias wrote: No need for unpleasantries, oh not-so wise blackthorn.  ;)
But unpleasentries are my speciality, oh one-whose-font-size-predilections-match-his-weiner!!!  :D <- See, the smiley makes it ok!

JLM has made an effort to make the jungle backgrounds look quite continuitious.  He's done a good job.  Needless to say, I feel you're pissing on people's parades here.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#434 Post by Alias » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 pm

And your shitting on the pirade.  ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#435 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:41 pm

To confirm...the idea of this thread was indeed just background creation exercise. We stated that if this was going to turn into an actual project, we'd have to ask the participators to start their own forum. These forums were never made to serve as base of operations for other unassociated projects.

And yeah, we generally keep to ourselves. As for joint projects...for legal reasons, the resulting project would have to be exclusively published under the legal entity AGD Interactive, LLC. In other words, there's no benefit for other groups to engage in a joint project with AGDI, as their group wouldn't be able to officially take credit for it.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#436 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Credit, schmedit.  It's about making the games, really.

Bt

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#437 Post by LucasFan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:14 am

Erpy wrote:These forums were never made to serve as base of operations for other unassociated projects.
Heh, another thing I always wondered about: What's actually the purpose of this Game Making Forum when it's not allowed to discuss about making games? You say it shouldn't serve as a base for own creations. You also say you want to keep for yourselves. So what do you want from us?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#438 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:24 am

The purpose of the game making forum is for people to discuss making games. It was not meant as a place for other teams to use as a base of operations. If SQ2VGA did end up being remade, we'd ask that the actual development take place elsewhere.

Our goal is to bring back adventure games. This forum is meant as a place for others who are interested in developing them to share ideas. Our hope is that this conversation will stimulate more interest in the genre. It would be nice if we had enough resources to share bandwidth, etc with other development teams, but it's simply not the case.

Does that answer your question?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#439 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:06 am

*applauds* Very nicely worded both of you.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#440 Post by JLM5 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:JLM has made an effort to make the jungle backgrounds look quite continuitious.
Yes, I made the paintovers, because I thought the backgrounds should be standardized to VGA-style. After that, they all could be used sometimes in possible SQ2VGA. By the way, it took just about an hour per background to make the "VGA-version".

I recommend you to test the backgrounds in AGS (with 320x200 resolution). When tested in this resolution, the pictures look yet better.

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#441 Post by LucasFan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:27 am

navynuke04 wrote:Does that answer your question?
No and I can't remember having asked you something.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#442 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:15 am

Perhaps you should reread your post. The sentences ending in question marks (?) are called questions.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#443 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:23 am

So what do you want from us?
First of all, I'll start out by stating that there's a difference between a base for creation as you called it, which (I guess) is the setting of the foundation of a project/piece of work and a base of operations, which is a miniature version of a development forum.

What we want from you:

- Give or request feedback on posted work including but not limited to art, music, code, demo's, dialogues, stories or design elements.

- Discuss aspects of game creation in general.

- Get all pieces of a project together until it's something that can stand on its own feet.

What we don't want from you:

- Using the forum as a recruitment ground. If the project is interesting enough, people will offer to join on their own.

- Using the forums as a mini development forum after the project got its foundation in place.

- Reward admins who take the time to answer with a snappy post.

Any better?

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#444 Post by moonlit » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am

My opinion :-)

This is AGD's forum, they spent their free time maintaining it so they can set the rules. The FAQ says that this forum is about game making discussion. Not about really making a game.

Besides that it is very ease nowadays to create your own forum. I tried it a while back. I downloaded to packages unzipped them, followed the direction and had a forum in about an hour online. It is usually not more than running a unix or PHP script to have your own forum online (you of course need a 24/7 online server to host it though).

For the matter of the SQ2 screens. We made a bunch of screens. And if anyone ever wants to use them to create a game they can take them.

No point telling us the screens aren't good enough for you (well you might tell us that, if you spent the effort to really create a SQ2 remake and show you did put enough time in it). Then I think it wouldn't be difficult to find someone to make the screens look better. This is about amateur game making. I think, personally, that most amateur game projects fail because they set their standards to high. Most of them try to beat commercial game makers i.e. professional graphic artists, developers, musicians who can spent a few years on making a game and can spent their free time to relax. Expecting the same quality besides your daytime job, school or whatever is usually destined to fail.

I don't say people here aren't professionals perse, but it might not be in that area. For instance I develop software for a living, painting is just something I do in my free time.

Jus my opinion.

Broomie
The Enigma

#445 Post by Broomie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:09 pm

Erpy wrote:
What we don't want from you:

- Using the forum as a recruitment ground. If the project is interesting enough, people will offer to join on their own.

- Using the forums as a mini development forum after the project got its foundation in place.

Any better?

Don't mean to be a "tella tale" but isn't Fribbi using the Game Making forum as a place to talk about his project? And if so why haven't you asked him to make updates on his own website or something?

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#446 Post by LucasFan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:28 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Perhaps you should reread your post.
I've never talked to you. So maybe you should reread my post. Should I ever have the desire to know your opinion, I will let you know. Promised.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#447 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:29 pm

Base of operations or mini-development forum is the definition of two or more members using the forums as a medium to do development work on the same project. That's not what Fribbi is doing.

EDIT:

Maybe I should repeat this in bold, so it's less likely to escape attention.

There's ways other than typing in bold and leaving winking smilies out to hammer home the point I'm not kidding, but I'd hate having to consider those.

Last edited by Erpy on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#448 Post by moonlit » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 pm

This all has not much to do with recreating the SQ2VGA screens.

Maybe start a new thread to discuss the forum policy is better (if discussion about that makes muh sense in the first place) :-(

Regards, Ron AF Greve

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#449 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:25 pm

Because this thread is fun, and it gives talent a chance to show off their skills, I've ressurected it.

Here's a new image - based on one that was previously posted.  This one hasn't been VGA'd yet.

Bt

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#450 Post by Vroomfondel » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:23 pm

That's a very nice screen, Blackthorne. I could've sworn there was a SQ2 VGA project (heck, there might have been 2 of them) that was never completed. Maybe IA could use some of these screens to make a remake?  :)