London 2012

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#26 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:37 pm

Kurdt wrote:I hate the fact that if anything having remotely to do with American tradition or happenings or sporting events is said here that I have to read at least 3 posts of people bashing America simply because "*gasp!* They're Americans! They drink watered-down beer and play bastardized sports and think they're the center of the universe." Well, I'm not on the streets listening to the rest of the world talk, but if the crappiness of America is talked about on the street as frequently as it's talked about here, I'd say that's unhealthy.</counterrant>
Heh. Heh heh. Ahhhh... it's funny because it's true. :lol :p

Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for Americans, although every country has its idiots. I hope I'm not one of the people you see as making America-bashing posts, and I'm sorry if I have. I may be critical of your leaders and your administration but I love all you watered-down-beer drinking Yanks. Um... God bless America. :hat :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#27 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:57 am

I enjoy going 10kms from my house over to America even if there "half" of our city is only one fifth the size of our portion. Personnally when I worked 45 minutes North of this border city Americans were seen often and sometimes just completly normal. They did stick out though, they would be the ones on the ski hill you see without snowpants or goggles and complaining about cold even if it's the same temperature in their city. The few times I had to speak to an American during my job however it was always awkward.

"Excuse me, this locker says it operates with 1 dollar but our quarters don't work"
"I'm sorry it only takes Loonies"
"What the hell is a loonie?"
"A Loonie is Canada's 1 dollar coin"
"I think you're a loonie"
I just walked away before it got out of hand, I was on lunch anyways

funny reference though when Kurdt said "It's like an American kicked them in the balls on their way to work". A 9 year old American girl actually kicked me in the balls because I was wearing the mascot costume  being a 6 foot St. Bernard.

Other than that though I respect Americans. Everyone has good "when I met an American" story around here though and I'm sure the Americans do the same. I've seen an American at the resorts bar yelling about how Canadians don't know about good sevice yet at the same time I've gone to America and received bad service so I geuss every coin has two sides.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#28 Post by Da_elf » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Actually if you read it correctly i did blame the network. "the aragance or pompusness i refer to pissed me off in the atlanta games where american broadcast companies had the major rights to televise it and anyone stuck with those stations were screwed over." if germany did the same thing id be pissed off as well. I dont really remember other olympic broadcasts being that selective. So untill ive seen that ill go on blaming those broadcast comapnies in atlanta games for their crappy coverage.
As for my comment about how many times the US has hosted it. That was meant just as a piece of fact. america has hosted it the most. your including 2012 however to this date england has only hosted it twice. seems twice is average. 4 times is double that. just a piece of mathmatical impartial fact. Seems every country wants the same. the boost in economy and the pleasure of hosting the games. so everyone is trying to hog it equally.
ive never been kicked in my balls no. but on my numerous visits to america ive been asked how i could live on a tropical island since im white, I've had people ask me if i had to row a boat to get to america since they had no idea we had an airport and ive even had a guy ask me if we swung from vines (he was in texas and didnt even know where the caribbean was). Ive had a girl at a resteraunt ask me where i was from due to my accent then when i told her, she offered to read the menu to me since she didnt think we could read. haha. boy was the joke on her.
So you can see why im a little sour. But as i said not everyone is like that i do have quite a few american friends, and lots of americans are good people, but you know that statement about 1 rotten apple spoiling the bunch.

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by El_Listo » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:41 pm

The mayan calendars say that 2012 will be the end of our era.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#30 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:49 pm

Oh Snap! THE LITTLE NASTYS! I guess I'll have to pack up and go to utah NOW! Darnkies!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#31 Post by Kurdt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:12 pm

Yeah...I mean I admit there are nitwits in this country. But then again, a South African guy once asked me if I rode horses to school and work since I'm from Texas. An Italian guy once asked me what my cow brand looked like. Hell, I get that when I'm traveling to the Northeast US. It's part of being a "foreigner." I got a call from my girlfriend today (she touched down in Ireland and had spent the day walking around and was dead tired and jet lagged) and she said she went into a comic shop to see if she could still pick up the American comics she read. When she tried talking to the sales clerk, he had no clue what she was saying and gave her this look like, "you're a foreigner, I don't know how to deal with you" and pointed her to the wall the comics were on. That's just the nature of going somewhere foreign. The dumb ones treat you like a 5-year-old because they think you're just some strange foreign savage (or, in my case, snooty American or redneck).

Oh, and apparently if you're from Texas you're automatically a bloodthirsty warmonger who'd follow George W. Bush into hell and back without thinking twice. I can assure you, I'm none of those things. I'm actually quite ashamed he's from my state. As for our tastes in beer...my physics teacher is from Holland, and he said on his first trip to America he wanted to impress all these IBM executives he was meeting with, so he told a joke from his country: "How is American beer like making love in a canoe? They're both f***ing near water." He said the table got so quiet he could hear himself melting into the seat. I'll admit, Americans aren't dark beer drinkers. As a matter of fact, most Americans HATE dark beer. I talk about how I'm really into Guinness (cuz I am) and most people are like, "eeewww!!! Ugh!! That sh*t is gross, dude! How can you drink that sh*t?" To me it kinda tastes like a weird-flavored milkshake, but that's me. Look at it this way: In China, Budweiser is a delicacy, so we're not the worst beer country around, I swear!!!
Da_elf wrote:Seems twice is average.
Actually, Once is moreso the average. All the countries I've mentioned are the only ones who've hosted it more than once. Other countries like Italy, Findland, Belgium, Sweden, Japan, Mexico, Canada, The Netherlands, Russia, Spain, and South Korea have only hosted it once. China is going to host it for the first time ever in 2008 in Beijing. Looking at the trends in selecting cities, though, I think it moreso has to do with the actual ability to support the Olympics. Countries like America, the UK, and Australia can support the Olympics better because they have the money to dump into the facilities, the room to house all the contenders as well as those who flock to the cities to see the games, and the places big enough to hold the events. I mean, as much as Ethiopia would love to have an Olympics there, I sincerely doubt it's going to happen.

And Charlemagne, come on, you call your money "loonies." How do you not expect people from other countries to make fun of that? You might as well stamp a "Kick Me" sign on the back of each one. :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:51 am

And Charlemagne, come on, you call your money "loonies." How do you not expect people from other countries to make fun of that? You might as well stamp a "Kick Me" sign on the back of each one. Tongue
Umm that was me. Hey, you call your chocolate candybars? put a "kickme" sign on those too  :p

Your wealth of knowledge on the olympic games is impressive but it's too bad I'm not into the summer games that much, coming from "cold" Canada (It's 45 degrees CELSIUS right now) I'd much rather watch a skier do 5 backflips and a 1080 at the same time then watch some guy run down a track. Aren't the next winter olympics in Canada? Or is that the one after?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#33 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:30 am

Charlemagne, QFGFan, you Canadians all look alike anyway. :p

And hey, it's CANDY in a BAR form, isn't it? We don't call every piece of chocolate a candy bar, just stuff like Snickers and Butterfingers.

I don't know that much about the Winter Olympics, but I think that's a little more unbalanced. But then again, you can really only have Winter games in places where there's snow, I guess. Canada's hosted it a few times, America another few. Sweden too, I think. I dunno. I'll have to look it up.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#34 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Please Kurdt, don't lump me together with QFG Fan. That kid acts like he's about 12 years old. I think he's giving my country a bad name. :p

Canada has hosted the summer olympics once (Montreal, 1976) and the winter olympics once (Calgary, 1988). Also, Vancouver was chosen to host the 2010 winter games.

And as for our money: we only occasionally call the $1 coin a "loonie". The rest of the time we call it by its proper name "80 cents American".

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

GASP!

#35 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:45 pm

QFG Fan called your country a bad name! Oh my!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:34 am

if you took the time to read the posts you'd realize that no I did not. My Brother and I were just discussing 2010 in the car today and we were wondering were 06 is going to be.