Tips for the Heat

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

Tips for the Heat

#1 Post by VampD3 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone had tips for cooling a room down or making a room stay cool?

Its just Katherine's room is always too hot!! esp in this summer weather, its reaching 32oC!!! I leave her window open and put a fan on but nothings working as there is no air outside and the fan just blows around hot air.

Any tips?

Thanks  :)

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by El_Listo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:55 pm

I hang posters of Gandalf in my room to make it stay cool.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:14 pm

Real funny...

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#4 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:36 pm

The best thing to do is to not let a lot of light in. The sun doesn't get in, the ultraviolet rays don't heat it up. It's also best to keep the window closed. All an open window'll do is let the heat in. A fan in a closed window room works a lot better than a fan in a room with the door and window open. I'd imagine since it's that hot that you don't have central AC? If you do, I'd say crank it up, but if you don't I'd say insulate the room more (have the curtains drawn, maybe more stuff on the wall, etc.) and also fill the room with lighter colored things. A white blanket will reflect more light and thus be cooler than a black blanket which absorbs all the light energy and converts it to heat. If a lot of the colors in the room are dark, they hold heat really well. If it's all brightly colored, they'll reflect it and the room won't be so hot.

Good luck!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:14 pm

I could install a refrigeration system for you. Though I doubt you want to spend that much money or have the room -40 degrees F.

If you have central A/C, make sure that the door to the room is open. The air usually comes in through a duct, but then returns through the open doorways back to the intake. If your doors are shut, you won't get good airflow, which makes things heat up.

If you don't have central A/C, you might consider buying a window A/C unit. I don't think they are that expensive, though I haven't priced one. It's pretty important to keep a baby in a nice temperature. You don't want her getting too hot.

Cain Aleksandrovich
Knight Status

#6 Post by Cain Aleksandrovich » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:27 pm

If you keep the window open though, I might suggest putting a fan over it to further move the air thats going in-out.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Jenkins Loo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 am

Maybe you could open the windows at night if it is colder. Then, when daylights arrives, do anything you can by avoiding to let the light going in ( or a little if you plan on watching tv... ). It could be useful to have a bottle of water in the fridge too...

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Fan

#8 Post by rugged » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:40 am

I find if you have the windows and door closed and use a really good fan then that will cool the air down.

The other option is to move to NZ during the summer :-)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#9 Post by Vildern » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:25 am

The best solution to the heat is..... an air-conditioner ;) You only use it 1-2 months a year, when it gets really hot. So, don't be afraid to use it. It's only temporarily.

VampD3

#10 Post by VampD3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:16 am

Thanks alot guys, I will give everything you said a try. I don't have a Central AC as its only hot here, like Vil said, 1 - 2 months a year, but still I may look into it. I'll keep the curtains drawn when the sun is shining in.

It is really important to keep her cool though as she gets very very upset when she's too warm, it was that stuffy last night that she hardly slept poor thing!
I could install a refrigeration system for you. Though I doubt you want to spend that much money or have the room -40 degrees F
I think I'll pass Navy! but if it gets that hot I'll book an apointment  ;)

Skyshark
Knight Status

#11 Post by Skyshark » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:14 pm

It's pretty much factors such as insulation (ceiling, wall, window, and floor to a lesser extent), room size, window size, therma mass (house design and construction issue) and block orientation that can determine how much heat transfer can take place between a room and the outside environment.

I'm not too sure about water restrictions in the UK, but one trick my parents used to do to help cool off the house before we could afford air-conditioning was to take the garden hose and spray the roof a bit to help drop the temperature in the house.

I'm guessing if it's just her room, it could be either the insulation in the roof or perhaps the heat is getting in through the window (heavy curtains or something similar insulative to minimise heat intake can help). Maybe an evaporative aircooler may help, if you can find one that's quiet enough to allow her to sleep when in operation. Having cross-ventilation through her room at night when it's cooler at night by means of opening her door and opening another window in another room nearby can help as well (obviously close or lock the windows in a secure position before she or you go to bed, to minimise security risks).

Can't really think of anything else at the moment, but that might help.

VampD3

#12 Post by VampD3 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:35 am

Just to let you know that your tips worked. I kept the room dark during the day and didn't open the window and just left the fan on.

May think of buying air Conditioning in the future aswell though.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Alias » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 am

Deb, you think its hot in the UK? You should go to portugal to get some REAL summer sun going around 40 degrees. I miss my portugal.  :\

VampD3

#14 Post by VampD3 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:59 am

Yeah I know. I wouldn't go abroad with Katherine just now though, not till she's older. Me and Angelus might though as my mum would look after Katy.

Its hot in the UK just now though esp for a young girl!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:03 pm

Heh, my girlfriend's studying in Ireland right now and they told her that it was going to be rainy and cold all the time they were there, but it's been bright and sunny and hasn't reached below 80 degrees F (roughly 27 degrees C) the entire time she's been there. That's still not as hot as here, but hotter than she'd like. She got sunburnt yesterday, heh. Before she left I was helping her pack and asked her, "do you want to take your sunscreen?" because she's manic about putting on, like, SPF 80 if she can find it. She was like, "nah, I won't need it." Now she's wishing she'd listened to me, heheh.

I think if you're going to get A/C and it's hot so rarely like you say, then you should just do what navy said and get a window unit for her room. They're much less expensive than having central A/C installed and they probably don't eat up as much electricity since they're smaller and have to work less than central air. They're selling window units over here at the local Wal-Mart for about $100US, so you should be able to find an affordable one somewhere. Good luck!