Gabriel Knight: SotF; mistake, and question (Spoilers!)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

Gabriel Knight: SotF; mistake, and question (Spoilers!)

#1 Post by Amayirot Akago » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:56 pm

I've finally finished this excellent game yesterday evening (after dying dozens of horrible deaths :evil ) and have noticed an odd mistake. Remember when Gabriel sells his father's painting (Three snakes in a skull) to Bruno? Well, when he returns to the book shop after Grace is kidnapped, the painting has mysteriously returned....

Also, I have a question. What exactly happened, when Wolfgang dies in the snake mound? Did he kill himself? Did Tetelo's spirit do it? (Wolfgang mentions, when asked, that he feels her presence there)

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#2 Post by KKuhlman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:03 pm

Grace bought back the painting, atleast thats what Gabe thinks.

And I think Wolfgangs death was somekind of blackmagic voodoo hocus pocus since his chest bursts open at the same time Gabe cuts open that zombies chest.

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:39 pm

The way I interpreted it:
A fresh heart was needed to open that vault thing.  Wolfgang knew this and was prepared to sacrifice himself.  Of course, Gabriel wouldn't have allowed him to do that, so he sent him away to get a zombie heart.  It wasn't because he thought that heart would work, but because he didn't want Gabriel to interfere with his sacrifice.

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#4 Post by KKuhlman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:54 pm

I thought of that too, but I wonder how he managed to place it on the pedestal after cutting open his chest and ripping it off.

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Amayirot Akago » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:54 pm

Soulblighter wrote:Grace bought back the painting, atleast thats what Gabe thinks.
Does he say that when you look at it? Darn, guess I missed that. Too bad I uninstalled the game together with all savegames earlier today.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Painting and heart

#6 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:02 am

Upon seeing this thread, I immediately pulled out my copy of the Sins of the Father novel.  Here's the scene (spoiler tag to spare the squeamish):

[spoiler]He looked up at Gabriel slowly.  His face wore a determined expression.

"Here's what you must do," he said.  "Go across the room and cut the heart from that golem on the floor."

Gabriel looked at Wolfgang doubtfully.  "The golem?  Wouldn't that just be...a clump of dirt?"

Wolfgang smiled sadly.  "Sometimes symbolic gestures work, yes?  Go on."

Gabriel gave one of the bars in the tabletop a halfhearted tug, but the thing was immovable.  He searched his pocket for the dagger, shot Wolfgang a highly skeptical look, and went over to the golem on the floor, not at all pleased.

Not gonna work, Unc.  Even I know that.

But he knelt beside the creature.  He looked down at it with disgust, and plunged the knife to the hilt in the creature's breast, half expecting it to come to life and scream.

There was a scream, in a short, breathy burst.  It was followed by an awful gurgle.  But it didn't come from the golem,which crumbled into dust under his blade.  It came from across the room.

Gabriel felt his stomach drop out from beneath him.  He lookedtoward the table andsaw Wolfgang sprawled across the lid.  And knew.

"No!" he screamed.  He hurled the knife away and ran over to the body of his great-uncle.

But it was too late.  Wolfgang had sunk his own knife deep into his breast and had died within seconds, his heart's blood spilling out into the center hole and coursing down the lines of the trough.

"NO!" Gabriel screamed to his great-uncle, enraged and horrified, as if there were still time to stop Wolfgang, to tell him what a stupid, pointless idea it was, to make him understand it wasn't worth it, that it would royally screw up all those afternoons Gabriel had pictured them sharing in the library.

Beneath the limp body, the lid shifted as the lock mechanism, oiled by the arterial blood of an old man, let go.  Gabriel carried the body of the last Schattenjäger, took it off the hideous table, and lowered it to the floor.  Gabriel laid Wolfgang down, tears streaming down his face unnoticed, and pried Wolfgang's hand free of the knife, then the knife free of the frail rib cage.  He laid both of Wolfgang's hands across his chest.  Then Gabriel stood, grasped the bars with both now-bloody hands, and heaved, letting loose a howl of grief and rage, and pushing against the lid with all his might.

The stone top slid to one side.[/spoiler]

Hope that covers everything.  Oh, and yes, both the game and the novel state that Grace bought the painting back from Bruno (though neither says how much profit Bruno made on the deal).

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Amayirot Akago » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:29 am

There's a novel? How interesting; is it written by Jane Jensen?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Concerning the novel

#8 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:50 pm

The SotF novelization is indeed penned by Jane herself, as is the novelization of The Beast Within. And while there is no GK3 novel, Jane has also written two independent novels called Millenium Rising and Dante's Equation.

If you want the GK2 novel, you're going to have to go hunting through eBay or Amazon.  However, for the GK1 novel, you can also try to find the Gabriel Knight Mysteries Limited Edition; not only does it have GK1 & 2, but it also comes with a soundtrack and the SotF novelization.

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

Re: Concerning the novel

#9 Post by Amayirot Akago » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:32 am

Brainiac wrote:The SotF novelization is indeed penned by Jane herself, as is the novelization of The Beast Within. And while there is no GK3 novel, Jane has also written two independent novels called Millenium Rising and Dante's Equation.

If you want the GK2 novel, you're going to have to go hunting through eBay or Amazon.  However, for the GK1 novel, you can also try to find the Gabriel Knight Mysteries Limited Edition; not only does it have GK1 & 2, but it also comes with a soundtrack and the SotF novelization.
There's a soundtrack as well??

*downloads*