Laura Bow remake

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

kk78
Peasant Status

Laura Bow remake

#1 Post by kk78 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:02 am

Has anyone ever come across a remake of the original laura bow sierra game? I'd love to see someone take on this project!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:19 am

Someone once tried it, but I don't think the project ever came close to completion. So no,there's likely no such project in the works.

kk78
Peasant Status

too bad

#3 Post by kk78 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:52 pm

that's too bad. i wish I were more computer savy and then I could try and tackle it. I'd love to see it reappear. I hate that adventure games have disapeared only to be replaced by mindless battle or car chase games. you guys have does great work here.

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#4 Post by elspanyl » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:51 pm

I totally agree.  Laura Bow games were a lot of fun.  I bet it would be really easy too considering there aren't that many background in LB1.  Comparitively anyway.  I'd love to see that happen!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:26 pm

The game's structure, on the other hand, is a lot more complicated and less straight-forward than lots of other games.

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#6 Post by elspanyl » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:43 pm

That's true, but it would really be worth it.  People would spend less time on the artistry and more on the actual story.  That must be more fun to make at least.  If I knew how, I would.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:01 pm

elspanyl wrote:That's true, but it would really be worth it.  People would spend less time on the artistry and more on the actual story.  That must be more fun to make at least.  If I knew how, I would.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

I expect a completed game within 6 months. :p  :lol

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:40 am

Making Laura Bow art would be extremely difficult. You'll have to do a lot of research into the type of house, styles: clothes and hair, etc etc.

You can't just jump in and create a normal house and modern styled clothing. The idea (for an artist) is very scary. One oversight could ruin the game.

JWar
Knight Status

#9 Post by JWar » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:25 am

Gronagor, be careful not to make him too enthousiastic with comments like that...

elspanyl, I think you should look into navy's suggestion if you're really interested. AGS (Adventure Game Studio) is a good place to start from as it offers an opportunity for people with little to no programming experience to still produce the basics of a game and learn more while they're at it.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:39 am

Well... he did ask why no one else finished the game yet, and I'm telling it from an artist's point of view.

If he's up for it, he should go for it! I can't wait to see your game Elspanyl!! Only 6 months to go!

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#11 Post by elspanyl » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 pm

Oh believe me I'd love to.  I don't know about 6 months though... ;)

But I can't draw, I don't have that game anymore, and I honestly don't know the first thing about it.  

I did take your advice and downloaded the programming software.  It looks a lot simpler than I thought.  Still....  Whoa...

Radiant
Knight Status

#12 Post by Radiant » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:13 pm

It's simple to make a straightforward game. Only it being simple doesn't mean it isn't a lot of work... the saying of 10% inspiration and 90% transpiration is very applicable. Also, there are a number of games that aren't particularly straightforward - the timing of Laura Bow games, for instance, or any kind of arcade sequence (including QFGesque battles), would not be recommended until you have some experience with AGS.
Check the AGS completed games page; it has quite a number of straightforward games that are very fun to play (such as the award-winning Larry Vales trilogy)