Revival of the Classics...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

roninalchemist
Peasant Status

Revival of the Classics...

#1 Post by roninalchemist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:20 am

I had this idea the other day, tell me whether or not I'm entirely looney...oh by the way, i'm new to the forum, hi all!!!!

So, my idea..  Nintendo has put out a very interesting and fun device called the DS.  Its a portable game system with 2 screens, one of them being a touch screen.  It also has a built in microphone for voice activated commands.  Is it just me, or would this not be the most ingenious platform to re-launch the classic "point and click" adventure games, such as KQ  1(remake) - KQ6?

I've tried to email Sierra about the idea, but there's no real way to do it on their site...sigh.  

Anyone have any thoughts?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:19 pm

Thats a clever idea, having the new point and click games as touch screen. I'd think it would be a funky idea, I doubt it will happen though.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:32 pm

That IS a great idea it would be really fun to play, but its just one of those things thats never gonna happen lol

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:12 pm

This is the closest I've seen Sierra games on Nintendo hand helds.

http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/index.php

Yet I think that idea would seriously rock!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:32 pm

The main problem is the resolution. A DS screen is only 256x192 or so, not enough to display the 320x200 used by a SCI game.

Though one could get around that restriction by using both screena and turning the machine 90 degrees (thus having a combined resolution of 384x256), it would seem awkward to have the image split across the two screens - plus, there wouldn't be touch sensitivity everywhere.

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:54 pm

This thread reminded me, I've got a new phone and remember AGD2 telling me about a program which could get old Sierra games on your phone. Unfortunately it didn't work, but at least it's a start to handheld Sierra classics.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:05 pm

Speaking of old games on handheld devices, the brilliant ScummVM has been ported to the PSP so its possible to play games like Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc on your PSP!

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Parhelion » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:17 pm

From what I've read, it seems ScummVM might only ever be playable on an imported or a modified PSP, unfortunately.
Last edited by Parhelion on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 pm

Yes, ScummVM only works on PSP's with version 1.50 Firmware.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Parhelion » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:02 pm

Well that doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem.

Have you actually run ScummVM on a PSP, Angelus?  I'm curious if the games translate well to the small screen.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Games on portables

#11 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:40 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Speaking of old games on handheld devices, the brilliant ScummVM has been ported to the PSP so its possible to play games like Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc on your PSP!
Putting adventures on handhelds and consoles isn't a new idea.  The MYST games, Escape from Monkey Island, and several others were ported to the PS1 and PS2.  As to handhelds, Broken Sword 1 was ported to the GBA.  So perhaps the idea of point-n-click on the DS has merit...if it comes to pass, I might be convinced to spring for one ($150 is still too pricey right now).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#12 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:01 am

Parhelion wrote:Well that doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem.

Have you actually run ScummVM on a PSP, Angelus?  I'm curious if the games translate well to the small screen.
I don't have a PSP (they release in September in the UK) but from screenshots I've seen it looks great. Even 640 x 480 games like Broken Sword and Curse of Monkey Island look great.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:22 pm

All they need is to make an AGI and SCI interpreter (once they've sorted out freesci!) for the PSP and then I'd be more than happy to betray my Nintendo and buy a PSP! I do think it would be better on the DS being the touch screen and all. Just think of it your whole menu could be on the top screen and you don't have to get the menu right in front of the game and you can use the stylus instead of a mouse. PSP should have had a stylus.

Broomie
The Enigma

#14 Post by Broomie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:35 pm

If what you all say is true about the PSP, then consider myself luring into the dark side and buying one. The DS doesn't exactly interest me that much anyway.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:46 pm

Well, since they'll most likely use the new firmware version on all future PSPs, people would have to find a way around that to use homebrew software, unless there's a way to downgrade (I don't think there is). And even if a way is found in the new firmware, there's a chance current homebrew software won't be usable.

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:18 am

If what you all say is true about the PSP, then consider myself luring into the dark side and buying one. The DS doesn't exactly interest me that much anyway.
The DS is brilliant in design, there's just no good games out for it yet, which sucks. Besides Polarium and Electroplankton that's coming out that I'm looking forward to.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#17 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:07 am

What you say is correct Pidge but I'm sure people will always find away to use homebrew on anything that is released.

Like Pidge says though, dont go out and buy a PSP just to play ScummVM etc you'll be sorely disappointed homebrew software is not intended for use on the PSP and Sony will block it with every firmware upgrade they release.

Anyway about the DS, I was thinking of getting one but then I played a display model in a computer shop and I was really turned off. Firstly the DS was alot bulkier than I would of thought, it felt kind of big and hollow, the screens were quite small compared to the unit itself and they were really dark as if they had no or very poor backlighting.

The controls felt stiff and plastic like cheap toys. I dont think I would spend £100 on something so poorly designed. It was only a display model but I'm sure it was still the normal retail unit being sold.

I'd rather have a slim, sexy, bright, crystal clear PSP although to be honest I'll have to hold judgement on those comments until I have a PSP in my hands!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

psp

#18 Post by rugged » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:19 pm

don't have a PSP (they release in September in the UK
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, I am surprised this stopped you Angelus, they are not going to be released in NZ for quite a while after september but you can buy them here on trademe (a NZ ebay rip off) for about $300 which is 100 quid, pretty cheap for something that hasn't been released yet, I assumed they would be available pretty cheap in the Uk as well

Broomie
The Enigma

#19 Post by Broomie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:01 pm

The PSP is actually huge for a handheld console, my friend brought one into school a while back after his brother came back from America. I had a go on it and it really is a big console.

Oh well, there's still the GP32. Which can hold the ScummVM games without any trouble.

I've never been a fan of the Playstation anyway, but now I'm not a fan of any console. I used to be crazy about them but I don't really play many games anymore.

MusicallyInspired

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Anyway about the DS, I was thinking of getting one but then I played a display model in a computer shop and I was really turned off. Firstly the DS was alot bulkier than I would of thought, it felt kind of big and hollow, the screens were quite small compared to the unit itself and they were really dark as if they had no or very poor backlighting.
I don't know what kind of model you saw, but the DS backlights are the brightest I've ever seen in a handheld. Makes the SP look like very dull and dark.

I just wish it could play Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. :(

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#21 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Anyway about the DS, I was thinking of getting one but then I played a display model in a computer shop and I was really turned off. Firstly the DS was alot bulkier than I would of thought, it felt kind of big and hollow, the screens were quite small compared to the unit itself and they were really dark as if they had no or very poor backlighting.
The backlight was probably turned off on the DS you saw (this can be done in the boot menu and within some games). The backlight on my DS is more than bright enough to play even in complete darkness.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: psp

#22 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:16 pm

rugged wrote:
don't have a PSP (they release in September in the UK
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, I am surprised this stopped you Angelus, they are not going to be released in NZ for quite a while after september but you can buy them here on trademe (a NZ ebay rip off) for about $300 which is 100 quid, pretty cheap for something that hasn't been released yet, I assumed they would be available pretty cheap in the Uk as well
I know what you mean, but I'd prefer to wait and buy the official release.
Bromios wrote:The PSP is actually huge for a handheld console, my friend brought one into school a while back after his brother came back from America. I had a go on it and it really is a big console.

Oh well, there's still the GP32. Which can hold the ScummVM games without any trouble.

I've never been a fan of the Playstation anyway, but now I'm not a fan of any console. I used to be crazy about them but I don't really play many games anymore.
GP32 cant even run GBA games! Also GP32 cannot currently run high level games like Broken Sword and Curse of Monkey Island, it may never be able to, depending on its specs.

EDIT: MI I believe you can get a cartridge adapter to play GB/GBC games or you can use an emulator.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#23 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:22 pm

Angelus3K wrote:EDIT: MI I believe you can get a cartridge adapter to play GB/GBC games or you can use an emulator.
Cartridge adapter? First I've heard of it - besides, since the DS doesn't have the required Z80 processor, it's more like an emulator.

The closest thing that comes to mind is using a GBA flashcart with a GB/GBC emulator on it.

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:26 pm

They don't sell flashcarts here. I'd have to order online. I hate ordering online...mostly because I have no way to pay online lol.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#25 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:05 pm

Pidgeot wrote:
Angelus3K wrote:EDIT: MI I believe you can get a cartridge adapter to play GB/GBC games or you can use an emulator.
Cartridge adapter? First I've heard of it - besides, since the DS doesn't have the required Z80 processor, it's more like an emulator.

The closest thing that comes to mind is using a GBA flashcart with a GB/GBC emulator on it.
The Z80 CPU of the GB/GBC is basically built into the GBA processor. It has really nothing to do with being a seperate chip of any sort.

The modification works because the DS in "GBA Mode" is hardware identical to a GBA. The only other difference is that GB/GBC carts take 5V instead of 3V, which it appears is the main function of the jumper wires in this mod.
As mentioned there a hardware mod is required for GB/GBC games to work. Probably too much trouble though lol