QGII VGA

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

QGII VGA

#1 Post by Draco62 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:01 am

What is the latest states on the game the page for QFGII AGS editor seems to be the same for along time now. I think it should be updated.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:36 am

I'm sure it will be updated when there is something significant to report.  ;)

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Draco62 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:30 am

Well since The last journal sayed the game was playble but running through tests for bugs-As far as QFG2VGA is concerned, we've reached that very familiar stage in development where everything very slowly starts coming together! We now have the 'structure' of the game finished which is fully playable from beginning to end (with all three character classes, I might add).AGD1. That does not meen its in alpha stage does it I ask cause what makes up a stage is unclear to me. I hope I do not sownd to ugrateful or offencive like some charaters. Thanks again AGDs for all the great work.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#4 Post by Da_elf » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:08 am

is it just me or even though there are 100 posts about qfg2vga and most in clicking distance people seem to think it would make more of a difference if they start a new post

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#5 Post by Fribbi » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:08 am

Lets face it. The game will be out near the end of this year. If not, maybe in the summer in next year if not...I don't know then when it will be released. :(

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

releasing

#6 Post by Draco62 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:32 am

I was not trying to ask about the release date. I was hoping someone could fill me in on what alpha testing was and if saying there was a full playable game ment that it started. As for the update part the AGS Editor stats seemed a bit low for as I mentioned a full playable game and if it could be updated. Lots of people ask about the journals being updated but I don't see the need if they are just fixing bugs. Just knowing wether or not the AGS Editor states are up todate is enough.  :rolleyes

Skyshark
Knight Status

#7 Post by Skyshark » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 am

Considering that QFG2VGA is one of the most anticipated fan remakes out there at the moment, I'm not surprised that people are getting more and more anxious as to when it will be released.

Shame we can't get someone to drop in on the AGDs in person once in a while, query them on things while they're working and then get them to do the updates on the main board, leaving the AGDs free to work with minimal interruptions to their schedules.

Relight
Archival Expert

#8 Post by Relight » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:38 am

I was hoping someone could fill me in on what alpha testing was and if saying there was a full playable game ment that it started.
Alpha testing happens before beta testing. It's the process of internal testing to eliminate bugs. AFAIK, alpha testing has not started. Yes, the game is playable through as has been stated, but the bugs being worked on right now are before that process even gets going. They're just all the crap that's surfaced as the programming was in progress in the first place. I hope that I am being accurate in that assesment.
Shame we can't get someone to drop in on the AGDs in person once in a while, query them on things while they're working and then get them to do the updates on the main board, leaving the AGDs free to work with minimal interruptions to their schedules.
Well, that was the whole idea when I was running the designer journals... but as Draco62 said, there really isn't too much point to it at this stage as there aren't any real developments, just a lot of testing and programming going on. AGD2's last update is all still true as to how the progress is going and what we're doing. Just so that everyone doesn't think we've all died or something, we will still add such updates from time to time... though I don't really know at this point when another such update will be made.

Da_elf's point about all the posts is also correct. Maybe we could have a sticky thread at the top of the forum to say "this is what's going on, you don't need to make a post about it"?

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by GuJiaXian » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:50 am

If nothing worth reporting is happening, that's fine. Keep us satiated with some screenshots or something at the very least!

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Draco62 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Thanks relight. Sorry I often repeat these questions cause I am ignerant about how stages start although I learned anough about the order of stages from reading in the forums the start of alpha was never all that clear, but now it is. as for screenshots well there was an article that feature most screan shoots except for ones like the gusess were it was contest the AGS had before. All together they look very nice maybe they can all be put on the feature page to satify the curious. But realy making more screen shoots will both slow down and already slow process and take away from the suprise of the games in hanced grafics.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#11 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:26 am

I just hope it'll be done before 2006! I've waited exactly 4 years now ever since I discovered AGDinteractive and QFG 2 remake back in the August 2001. All I can say is I've waited patiently since then and I can wait a few more months, but I'd really appreciate it if the AGDs gave some of their updates more regularly... it's been more than a month and a half since the last report, and I'm dying for the news! :)

Till next time stay cool  :smokin
Last edited by Paladinlover on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#12 Post by TravisOwens » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:03 pm

I explained in a previous forum post in great detail why I believe QfG2VGA won't be finished until early or mid 2006, and I'm being optimistic.  There's no way QfG2VGA can be ready by the end of the year untill AGDI is willing to release a game that might have bugs and they'll just patch those after the fact, which imho might be a better choice.

viewtopic.php?p=170181#170181

I'd also like to point out that I believe (as a fellow coder myself) that ADGI mis-uses the term alpha/beta as there's really no such thing as alpha testing per se.  The WikiPedia has a detailed page on the subject at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_version
But in my own words, I would consider Alpha to be somewhat as a tech demo with lots of example code instead of a fully functioning game.

Beta is often used for a piece of software that has most of it's features implimented (which sounds like where the QfG2VGA is currently at).

Finally software goes into a RC (Release Candidate) stage where evry feature is implemented 100% and bug tested and now the software is released publically to find any rare/bizarre bugs.  Most software vendors don't do RC, I'd have to credit Microsoft for making the RC concept infamous.

Of course keep in mind this explanation is for softwaer in general and it seems ADGI doesn't appear to be following this generally accepted form of naming.  What they call alpha should probably be beta.  And what they call beta is really a RC release.

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#13 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:01 pm

It's relative, really.

If the game has fatal errors, then - as far as I'M concerned - it's at an Alpha level, and is not yet suitable for Beta testing.

Beta testing is used to eliminate the lesser problems that would still cause the player intense frustration.

At AGDI, the game is ready for release when WE can't find anything else wrong with it (which isn't to say that a few hundred thousand players won't!).

As to the correct definitions, there's a lot to be said for creative license! ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:57 am

well then matybe we can expect it sooner rather then later. This has been a very helpful topic. maybe it should even be stickied.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#15 Post by Paladinlover » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Well, if QFG2VGA really takes another year, then I guess it's business as usual. These things would take time, and I guess I shouldn't brood over it too much.

Anyway, there are also some good people over at Tamriel Rebuilt who are making a pretty ambitious project for Morrowind. They want to create the ENTIRE continent of Tamriel with the Construction set that was provided with the game. I asked them last year as how long would it take to complete (I was expecting an answer of something like 5 to 7 years) but they said that it might not be ever completed in its entirity, but if it is, it would take about 10 to 15 years to finish!

There's nothing we can do but hope it gets done. Don't dissappoint me, AGDs! ;)

Till next time stay cool  :smokin