Sierra back in action?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

Sierra back in action?

#1 Post by Alias » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:22 pm

Is it just me or is Sierra acting strange, first they made a LSL sequel, now they are working on a Caesar sequel. Caesar was amazing (back in the day anyway) Sierra seems to revive every series one at a time,  tell me I'm wrong but I can strongly see a KQ or QFG sequel later, Sierra has been rather unpredictable lately. Not to mention the Swat Series (former Police Quest Series) sequel ''Swat 4'' was very good.

Feel free to curse my prophecy now.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:06 am

Good point

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Oilers99 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:31 am

I think LSL was a special case. First off, it fit in with the "edgy" trend that publishers have been going for as of late, now that they've found out that the industry has "grown up". King's Quest, however, is distinctly nerdy. It's about a fantasy universe in which you solve puzzles. Nobody who plays that is going to feel "cool", so therefore, it won't get made.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Music Head » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 pm

I think the only reason they made another LSL game is because there is still a market out there for those types of games. I doubt if they do make another KQ or QFG game. For lets face we're one of the few left dying off communities who still enjoy those game types. I don't think Sierra would a worth while profit from another game type like KQ or QFG.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:51 pm

They could make a KQ with combat, like KQ8 but with much better gameplay & Graphics, even though I love the way it is it does get a bit fiddly.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:22 pm

And how many actually LIKED KQ8?

(I thought it was OK, but not true to the series)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:49 pm

Noone in there right mind KQ8 was Sh***t.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Alias » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Well if there were a KQ sequel/game I doubt it will be 100% puzzles, better off having a QFG game then,

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:48 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Noone in there right mind KQ8 was Sh***t.
I think you just follow the crowd. King's Quest 8 was a good game if you'd ACTUALLY have played it. I took the time to manage to complete it and I was impressed. So what if it wasn't true to the game as Boogeyman said? If it were just called Mask of Eternity, the names were all different so it wasn't particularly a King's Quest game people wouldn't hate it as much.
Last edited by Broomie on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:29 pm

I played it and finished it I still hate it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Opinion

#11 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:40 pm

I somewhat agree with Broomie; taking MoE just as a game in general, it wasn't too bad.  It reminded me a little of some of the Zelda games.  However, as a KQ game, it stunk - the alteration of some of the mythos was quite annoying (Dimension of Death, anyone?).

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Oilers99 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:20 am

I played Mask of Eternity a bit. It wasn't outstanding, but I thought it was a fair amount of fun. Actually, I think I'd like to give it another shot. Maybe I'll see if I can buy the game from my uncle. :)

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:21 am

The real fun for me started in the Swamp, the Dimension of Death was a drag. But I think its truly a good game, I hardly think of the prequels when I play a game, I think of it as a type of entertainment and I was entertaind. Viva MoE. And btw, it did have the KQ name on it so I dont know why people don't see it.  ;)

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#14 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:27 pm

Dimension of Death totally conflicts with the Isle of the Dead(which was better)

"Death waits for no man!"

"My, my, what a fix, bathin' in the River Styx!"

The Avatar
Knight Status

King's Quest Revival?

#15 Post by The Avatar » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:19 am

Ah, now this is a fascinating topic.   ;)

If Sierra were to bring back King's Quest, in what fashion would it be done?  If S.W.A.T. is police quest's revival, then the King's Quest for the new generation could be something completely unexpected.  KQ is undeniably a 'fantasy' setting.  What current games out there are successfully utilizing the 'fantasy' setting?
  MMORPG's.  The industry is in a trend right now that seems to think fantasy is the best way to sell MMORPG's.. so it's viable to assume the world of Daventry would be considered if Sierra were to create such a gaming world - to rake in some money from consumers who play games like WOW, or EQ, or Lineage, or D&Donline, or LOTRonline, etc..
  Who wouldn't want to live in Daventry, given the option?  Who wouldn't like to see the lands of KQ populated with teams of people, real commerce and politics and wizard duels around every corner?
  Ah, it may be a silly dream, but ponder it in your heads for a minute..  would you be a fairyfolk?  A magic disappearing elf?  Perhaps a dwarven rogue?  Or maybe you'd quest to become a knight under King Graham.. or have a vacation home in the Green Isles..
  What are your thoughts of such a 'revival', or is Daventry destined to be a dying memory in the hearts of the fans of a dead genre?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:43 am

keep in mind that  most MMORPGS have a story to follow and have atleast 2 factions, How could that be incorporated into Daventry? although I do agree the land of the green Isles would be a great map for such a game and even has good divisions. You could take a group of friends up that huge wall and battle the minotaur as a bounty or collect a dozen frozen cabbages for the farmer in the humble village.

Posiiblities would be endless but again that's about all I can come up with. The world would have to be greatly expanded and revised and their would have to be some bad guys to. You could be Grahams Knight but you may also be Mordacks Disciple. Fun thoughts though.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Alias » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:24 pm

I think KQ universe would make a super MMORPG! You could choose between the tons of characters in the game and 'live', kind of like Star Wars galaxies.