Trouble getting QFG4 CD version to work, Please help!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

Trouble getting QFG4 CD version to work, Please help!

#1 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:40 am

Hi all,

I have the QFG collection with QFG4 on the CD, I tried DosBox, VDM Sound & Tweaking the properties but the game still doesnt work? Please can you help Im eager to play this game again. Thanks.

Def Zeppelin
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by Def Zeppelin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:30 pm

What's exactly the problem you get?  Does it say anything when you try to load it?  What happens?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:00 pm

It simply doesnt work. I got it working a year ago, I don't know whats wrong now.  :\

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#4 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:32 pm

Alias wrote:It simply doesnt work. I got it working a year ago, I don't know whats wrong now.  :\
Please be a little more specific if you want anyone to understand your problem. What system are you running the game with? What is the error message you get (if indeed you get one)?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:37 pm

I don't get a error, it just does not load up. I'm running is on XP.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:38 pm

I used to have that problem too. Sadly I never got my boughten copy of QFGIV working.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Pidgeot » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:26 am

I'm assuming you're using a DOS version, since you mentioned DOSBox.

Have you tried disabling all sound in INSTALL.EXE/setting it to PC Speaker? If the game loads after that, your problem is caused by a misconfiguration. I'm afraid I don't have a SCI2 game nearby to look at the options available, but DOSBox should work well if you set everything to Sound Blaster.

Also see the game's entry on the DOSBox compatability list for details.

Failing that, have you tried the Windows version? If no interpreter is supplied, you can most likely copy one from a different SCI2 game (list). You might have to tell Windows to use 256 colors for the program, and some of the different versions of the SCI2 interpreter might not work.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Alias » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:24 am

The QFG Collection a supports Windows & Dos version, and both dont work.

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by moonlit » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi,

I guess you have the anthology CD. I have got it running with dosbox 0.62.

I dumped the iso to my harddisk with diskdump. You can then use the following configuration file:
http://moonlit.xs4all.nl/pics/qfg4.conf

(Don't forget to look into the configuration to see where I mounted it)

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: Trouble getting QFG4 CD version to work, Please help!

#10 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:35 am

To Alias and Quest For Glory Fan, I am curious as to whether or not either one or both of you have gotten your QFG4 game to work.  If not, what are you using to try and get the game to run?  If you have Dosbox, what version do you have and do you understand how to use Dosbox itself correctly?  I only ask the last question for when I had first gotten Dosbox it took me a few tries to get it to work properly.  Are you still trying to get it to work or have you given up on it?  I would like to help if possible, assuming you haven't gotten it to work yet or given up for that matter.  I can help with Dosbox should you be trying to run the game on that.  Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you guys out.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 pm

ya sounds cool. I got mine working a little bit once but then I got ERROR 52'd right out again lol. I'll try it again sometime soon and keep you posted.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Alias » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:28 pm

I have the latest verison and I din't have trouble working any other game on DosBox. Still havent got it working.

The Guy
Knight Status

#13 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:35 pm

Ok, what file did you use to try and install the game and did you try to install on Dosbox or Windows?  Since the Anthology cd is what you have there are a few installation files on it.  Don't use the one in the QG4CD folder.  Open the cd-drive or use the explore option on the cd and click in the INST.EXE file to install QFG4.  Do it from Windows though instead of using Dosbox to install and then use Dosbox to play the game.  Try that and let me know if there is any success.  
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I got mine working a little bit once but then I got ERROR 52'd right out again lol.
Well for that QFGF, did you install the patch for the game?  After I had gotten my game to run and patched, I haven't gotten any errors whatsoever.  

On another note, are both of you using XP as an operating system or something else?

If you do get the game up and running, should you exit the game Dosbox will crash for some reason.  Don't worry if it does as long as you are able to play the game and save it everything should be good.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:27 pm

well I haven't tried in years but I'll get back to it one day hopefully soon.

The Guy
Knight Status

#15 Post by The Guy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Well if it comes down to it and you want to get your game working, maybe we can go to the chat room and I can run you through it step by step.  That is, of course, if you want to play the game again.  So if you are still having trouble, we can tackle any and all of them at once.  Just give me a PM if you want to do that.  I usually check this forum everyday so I'd definately get it.  We can set a time and whatnot for whenever you are available as for me I got a bit too much time on my hands that some people can attest to that.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:55 pm

well I have a solution for you. Women... and maybe a job.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Alias » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:38 pm

I still cant get this freakin' think to work.

-I'm using New Rising Sun's patchs
-I am using DosBox with correct settings
-I have set the game to work at 256 colour
-I have set the game to work on Windows 95

And still it doesnt work.   :(

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:05 pm

YAY!!!11! !

Ahem.

I got it to work like a dream. :) Thanks anyway.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:38 pm

Then please tell everyone what you did Alias.

I received mine a little while back (which I purchased from E-bay), and it worked fine, but I can't get that Lighthouse game to work. Same problem as what you explained in your first post.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:48 pm

-Instal the game properly with a few tweaks at the properties to get the install to work.

-Get the New Rising Suns's patches & replace the old files.

-Run the qfg4.bat file

-Use VDM sound if you have music problems

-If you need screenshots run it on DosBox