The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#926 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:41 am

did my first post get deleted? oh well whatever. Hows the match going?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#927 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Just got Legend of Zelda Wind Waker which came with Ocarnia of Time (and OOT Masterquest).

I'm tempted to play Wind Waker first as it looks cooler but I guess OOT should be played first to fully enjoy the story??

Anathoth, I'd appreciate your expertise if your still out there  ;)

Cant wait though, I havnt played Zelda since Link to a Past on SNES.

(Btw is Majora's Mask available for GC? and is this GC version of OOT have updated graphics and music etc?)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#928 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:51 pm

Though OOT provides some of the backstory to TWW, it's not essential to play one before the other.

MM is available in Zelda Collector's Edition, along with OOT, LoZ and AoL. You might be lucky to find it in the VIP 24:7 catalogue on Nintendo Europe, but you'd probably have more luck getting it off eBay.

Your OOT disk is merely an N64 emulator with the OOT and OOTMQ ROMs on it - though they have been modified to reflect the different control scheme you'd use on the Cube, that's the only thing changed. (Whether this was just hacked into an existing image, or whether they recompiled the game for this, I can't say.)

The same applies for Zelda CE, it's just a NES and a N64 emulator with the respective ROMs.

Fun fact: There is currently no Zelda game that cannot be played on the GameCube.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#929 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:07 pm

So the Snes Link to a Past is on the Zelda Collectors edition!!!?

EDIT: According to IGN OOT has these improvements
640x480 resolution, Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound support, and 480p Progressive Scan support.
I was thinking that these too would have to be built into the ROM right? Or would the Gamecube do these on the fly?
Last edited by Angelus3K on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#930 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:07 pm

What about Link to the past and Links Awakening? I have the disk with Master quest and the compilation of the four games as well and They didn't seem that different to me.

I came here for a post about Broken Sword Shadows of the Templars. I'm not sure how far in I am right now but I am on a train in Britain where I heard a refrence to Newcastle. whether it's where you were or not it was pretty funny.

Drunk:I'll wake him up when we get to NewCastle.
George: We passed Newcastle half an hour ago.
Drunk:...oh

I bet you've seen it but is it the same place do you think?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#931 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 pm

Yes that guy is from Newcastle, you can tell by his "geordie" accent and he is wearing the black and white Newcastle football top (and he's also drunk lol).

I thought it was pretty funny too when I played through it.

btw is this your first time playing through?

That train bit is near the end though so savour the last moments of the game!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#932 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:32 pm

I just beat the game and I absolutly loved it. I like how during the credits it showed George and Nico as they appeared in the sequal. One question though. Doesn't gun powder retain it's explosive properties forever as long as it doesn't get wet?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#933 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:52 pm

I have no idea about the gunpowder thing, but yes BS1 is amazing!

You got BS2? If not you should definetly pick it up (and BS3 too).

Just out of interest are you playing BS natively or through ScummVM? Its not needed to play through ScummVM but its cool non-theless.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#934 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:55 pm

Angelus3K wrote:So the Snes Link to a Past is on the Zelda Collectors edition!!!?
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:What about Link to the past and Links Awakening?
LttP was re-released for GBA and LA has always been on Game Boy - thus, the Game Boy Player can use both of these. LttP is not on CE, as it does not contain a SNES emulator.
Angelus3K wrote:640x480 resolution, Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound support, and 480p Progressive Scan support.
The game is 3D, so it upscales well (the textures are most likely detailed enough already). All the emulator has to do is run in that resolution. Surrond sound is most likely created by positioning the sound instead of creating a faux 3D experience - I would not be surprised if the original OoT operated in surrond sound internally, but had it downmixed by the machine.

Progressive Scan is introduced by the emulator. (Of course, that's only available in the NTSC version, since few, if any, PAL TVs support it.)

There's also the possibility that they were working on surround sound in the OoT engine for another purpose and decided to integrate it into the game when they had to get this re-compiled. At any rate, it *is* known that they are using an emulator, as is evident if you browse the disc (you can see the N64 ROM files).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#935 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info Pidge!

Just had a quick look at Wind Waker and it looks alot of fun.

One thing that will take a little time getting used to will be that there is no option to INVERT the camera (C Stick)!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#936 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:48 pm

I played Broken Sword with my Game Boy Advanceand I used to have the second one but it got deleted :(
I'll have to install it again if I can ever find it again. Is it true that Broken Sword 3 is now on the cube?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

The Final MYST

#937 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 pm

If anyone's interested, the Collector's Editions for MYST V have been announced.  That's right...editionS.  It turns out that Europe and America will be getting slightly different extras.  You can see them here (EU - in French only) and here (NA).

I think I'd actually prefer the EU version myself; I don't particularly want the guide, but I do want the soundtrack and the preview of The Book of Marrim should be excellent.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#938 Post by Oilers99 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:11 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I played Broken Sword with my Game Boy Advanceand I used to have the second one but it got deleted :(
I'll have to install it again if I can ever find it again. Is it true that Broken Sword 3 is now on the cube?
There's no Broken Sword game on the Gamecube, to my knowledge.

Anyways, I'm anticipating Twilight Princess and Final Fantasy XII, though who knows if and when they'll come out....  :cry

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#939 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:19 am

Looks like I'll have to search for the PC versions of both games then.

Twilight Princess does look cool but I won't buy it untill my brother caves in and pays his money for it  ;).

I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy but I was dissapointed by Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, X-2 and XI so I'm going to make sure this ones better before I buy it.

Right now I'm Thinking of buying the New Advance Wars on DS. Does anyone have word on this? I loved the first Advance Wars and wonder if I'll be dissapointed.

I'm wondering if I should go for the PS3 or Revolution in the next generation and sadly I'm looking into PS3 more so I can play Metal Gear Solid 4. The lineup of characters on this one looks like it wil be better then the first 3 combined as it has all my favorites in it.

However extreme backwards compatibility looks cool too. We wonder how it will work for games you own on other systems. Can you just download any NES or SNES game you please on it or will there be some proof of purchase system. I'm very curious as to how this will work.

All in all the future of video games is looking to be very bright.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#940 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:20 am

I would bet with the Revolution download things that you have to pay for the download.

Twilight Princess has been pushed back to Q1 2006 and FFXII is also due 2006.

I'll definetly be getting a PS3 and if the price is right I may also pick up a Rev awhile later.

Advance Wars rocks btw! (well the GBA one I played anyway lol)

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#941 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Angelus3K wrote:I would bet with the Revolution download things that you have to pay for the download.
Yes, but it's cheap enough (IMHO) that you won't really mind buying the games again. I've heard it'll only be about a buck a game. That's only about 65 cents or so to you, isn't it?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#942 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 pm

65p (pence) yea.

But nothing has been confirmed about Revolution pricing.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#943 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:59 pm

Not confirmed, but it's been implied.... And what with all the rumors of cheapness, they'd better stick to it. I dunno if I'm really willing to spend three whole dollars (:p) on an 8 bit game.....

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#944 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Depends what 8-bit game it is. :p

*cough* Earthbound Zero *cough*

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#945 Post by jpnuar1 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:04 pm

Pidgeot wrote:Depends what 8-bit game it is. :p

*cough* Earthbound Zero *cough*
Depends on how difficult it would be just to plug my NES system back in...

And I've never played Earthbound Zero. What's the plot?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#946 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:05 pm

Was Earthbound Zero for NES? I'm sure all SNES games are 16Bit.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#947 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Earthbound Zero (JP: Mother) was indeed a NES game, but it was never released (despite much promotion). You might better remember the SNES game Earthbound, a sequel.

Earthbound Zero was originally slated to be released in the US, but there had been many new features added to it after the release in Japan, and it became way too expensive for Nintendo to release - despite the fact that the game was actually *finished*.

Many years later, a beta cart was leaked. That cart contained the full, completeable game, but had protection that prevented it from being completed on a regular NES. This was hacked away at a later time, resulting in a fully playable ROM image.

Since the NES game was also titled Earthbound, like the SNES game that was released, the same hacker re-dubbed the game to Earthbound Zero, seeing that the already existing Earthbound was a sequel to this game. The name stuck, mainly since the only way to play the game was either to borrow that single beta cartridge that was available, or by using a ROM.

If Nintendo still have the source code (they should, since Japan released Mother 1+2 a couple of years ago for the GBA), it would be trivial for them to add Zero to the title screen and re-compile - heck, they could probably get away with using the pre-existing hacked ROM.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#948 Post by Oilers99 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:24 am

Angelus3K wrote:I would bet with the Revolution download things that you have to pay for the download.

I'll definetly be getting a PS3 and if the price is right I may also pick up a Rev awhile later.

Twilight Princess actually has been delayed out of Nintendo's fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2006. Therefore, the earliest possible date for Twilight Princess is April 1st. It'll probably ship sometime in May, most likely.

A PS3 may cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully, Sony is just trying to set out expectations high, and then preparing to undercut them.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#949 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:25 am

Well it's official, in the past 3 days I have beaten 3 games and I'm somewhat ahsamed of myself. 3 days ago I beat Mario 64 DS Finally and yesterday I finished Broken Sword 1 for the first time as well but right now I'm watching the credits roll once agian on Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. I may have beaten this game 10 times by now but the ending gives me goosebumps everytime. I just hope I got all those stupid Kerotan Frogs this time. The game is packed with secrets and is only about 3 hours long (although this time it took me 20)

I just don't know where I go form here. perhaps I'll step up the difficulty and try to get another 100% file. Then again I might wait for the next Metal Gear. Well now I'm just as confused as a pantless clown in an art show.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#950 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:23 pm

Oilers99 wrote:

Twilight Princess actually has been delayed out of Nintendo's fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2006. Therefore, the earliest possible date for Twilight Princess is April 1st. It'll probably ship sometime in May, most likely.

A PS3 may cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully, Sony is just trying to set out expectations high, and then preparing to undercut them.
Q2 then :p

QFGF, MGS3 Substinance will be out soon, play that!