The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1001 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:57 am

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1002 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:44 am

To learn how to re-calibrate the lens, go to http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecub ... 15781.html and read the Lens Calibration Guide.

I haven't tried it myself (my Cube still works just fine, despite being purchased all the way back on the release date, May 3rd, 2002), so use at your own risk.

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: The PSP Cometh (to Europe)

#1003 Post by The Guy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:03 pm

I know you are trying to help Pidgeot and I thank you and Angelus, but I don't think you properly read my last post.  You see my Gamecube is not like others, so unfortunately I can not follow that guide link you sent me.  Try clicking on the link I put in my last post.  The Gamecube I have is a completely different setup then the regular Gamecube.  As I stated before the disc drive area looks and is enclosed like a cd-rom drive.  So I guess I'll have to wait for someone to make a lens calibration guide for the Panasonic Gamecube.  At the moment it still does load up for most games on 1-3 tries, while other games like Resident Evil 4, it has always given me problems even when I first purchased the game.  Maybe my lens is slowly decalibrating.  I thank you both again and sorry about your Gamecube Broomie(not sure if you are serious or joking though).
Last edited by The Guy on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1004 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm

The Guy wrote:sorry about your Gamecube Broomie(not sure if you are serious or joking though).
I bought Broomie's Gamecube from him and now have broken it lol

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1005 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:29 pm

Pidgeot wrote:To learn how to re-calibrate the lens, go to http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecub ... 15781.html and read the Lens Calibration Guide.

I haven't tried it myself (my Cube still works just fine, despite being purchased all the way back on the release date, May 3rd, 2002), so use at your own risk.
That is the procedure I just did which broke my Cube!!

The Guy
Knight Status

#1006 Post by The Guy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:29 pm

Awww, that completely sucks.  Yeah, I forgot to mention that about what you did to your Gamecube in my last post.  I take it, it's a very delicate procedure from reading some of it on the link Pidgeot posted.  Looks it may have to be a trial and error task for you Angelus.  Good luck, I hope you get it running and working much sooner then later.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1007 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:30 pm

Right, sorry about that. I guess I'm just not used to there being a Q.

I did a little research, and the closest thing I found was this, from Lik-Sang's FAQ:
I've purchased a panasonic q and it stopped playing dvd and games it just say no play or disc read error how can i fix it? (2003-11-13)  
If the lens inside which reads the DVDs and games is damaged or getting jammed then this would give you the same error. Either that or all of your games and DVDs are severely scratched and are unreadable which is very unlikely. Try testing a DVD on the Q and if you get the error try using the same DVD on another DVD player or on a PC and see if you get an error there. (2004-05-16)
You could contact NoA or Panasonic and hear if they can/will repair it and how much it would cost.

Failing that, it should *theoretically* be fixable using the same principle - although you'd have to open the drive itself.

The Guy
Knight Status

#1008 Post by The Guy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Pidgeot wrote:Right, sorry about that. I guess I'm just not used to there being a Q.
Hey, no problem, like I said I know you are trying to help and I thank you for it.  Looks like I'll have to check out Lik-Sangs FAQ.

On a different note, seeing to how this is The Gamers Thread for all of you that like FPS you might want to check out the Starship Troopers demo.  Of course, I suppose that also depends on whether or not you really liked the movie (I thought it kicked some ass).  Here is a link where you may download it for free without having to sign up or anything like that.  Also I hope this ok to post this here, if not just let me know and I'll edit my post.

http://www.gamedaily.com/gp/dlexe.asp?p ... ist=&cid=5

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1009 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:46 pm

Yea its fine to post links to demos.

The Starship movie did rock and this game is supposed to aswell. When I first read about it in PC Gamer over here in the UK it said it was coming out December 2004!

Looks like it got delayed if there's only a demo for it!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1010 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:26 pm

I just saw the Revolution trailer from TGS, and I want one. NOW. :D

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/ ... ids_1.html.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1011 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Yea awesome but weird Revolution controller. Like IGN say though it will be great for games designed for it but how will conventional 3rd party games play and what will it be like playing things like Super Smash Bros.?

Here is a pic of the new controller.

In other news an adapter to play PSP games on your TV (using a normal PS2 controller) is being made by a 3rd party group called Team Xtender:

Also Metal Gear Ac!d 2 will be the first game to support a USB peripheral, named the "Solid Eye" it allows you to view certain events in MGA2 in 3D!

Also in Japan the new Limited Edition "Ceramic White" PSP is now available!

Also in other news Metal Gear Ac!d is shaping up to be ALOT better than I first thought, once you get into it, its just as good as playing a normal Metal Gear game. In fact I think I prefer the turn based strategy version more!!

Also some first impressions of Burnout Revenge for PS2. Its good but the controls and style feel different to that of Burnout 3 which I preferred. Also the music isnt as good as Burnout 3's so if your a fan of the Burnout series I'd rent first.

Second first impression is for Urban Reign heralded to bring life to the sour beat'em genre which has been poor since Streets of Rage back on 2D platforms. I'm afraid to say although it IS better than alot of other 3D fighters such as Beatdown: Fists of Vengenace its still rather poor to what you'd expect this late in PS2 development. This game could of came out at least 2 years ago.

The game does have a good assortment of characters and moves for example the main character can perform the power bomb move (see: WWE) which is really cool but the animation for it in Urban Reign is a bit fast, simple and the sound effect when the guy hits the floor is weak and doesnt convey the satisfaction or devestation said power bomb should bring.

Well thats my quick news update for today, remember the first impressions there are just that, I've only played each game for about 5 minutes. You can tell alot from the first time you play a game but its still not enough to base a solid opinion from.

:hat

Note: The "Solid Eye" binoculars are used by Solid Snake in "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" for PS3 which is cool!
Last edited by Angelus3K on Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1012 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:23 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Yea awesome but weird Revolution controller. Like IGN say though it will be great for games designed for it but how will conventional 3rd party games play and what will it be like playing things like Super Smash Bros.?
Nintendo have already announced they will make a "classic-style" expansion - basically, you plug your "remote" into it, and you'll have a standard controller, but with some additional features like tilt support, etc, thanks to the remote.

IGN have an article where they theorize ways the Revolution controller could be used for the different genres.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1013 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:44 pm

Ahh cool!!

I think the Rev will be worth getting just for this controller and the retro backwards compatability!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1014 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 pm

I really want to get the Rev but I also want to play Metal Gear Solid 4.  The only metal Gear I ever anticipated was TTS and that was because 3 was awhile off and I didn't have a  PS2 anyways. Now I'm looking forward to sommday playing Subsistance and GotP on a PS2. I think I'll like the ps3 controller more because the only thing I hate about the PS2 controller is how small the handles are and the block buttons up top. I sometimes lose my circulation to the index fingers from thos controllers. I already have full backwards compatibility in my room. I'd show you if I had a webcam but I have my new tv to my left with a PS2 and GC up top but to my right is an old retro tv with knobs, and 3 Nintendos hooked to it (N64, SNES, NES) and I have my PSX on top of the computer (center) to hold stuff on like cds and controllers.

ya, it's a mess in here but I can be running 3 monitors at once sometimes.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1015 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:05 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:well I was waiting till I didn't have to double post but I don't think anyone wants to read that last post. it was a dousy. Anyways just thought I'd mention (for Angelus) that I got Broken Sword II in the mail today and although the game maintains the wit of the first one I F***ING HATE ALL THE VOICES. Not just George either, all of them. Anyways I hope they were replaced in the third one and even if they weren't I geuss I'll play it.
I forgot to reply to this.

The voice of George in Broken Sword II is the same as in BS I (same in BS III to!), Nico's voice is different in every game lol.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1016 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:58 pm

I thought Nico (II) had the best voice I've heard yet. Lobineau was ok too but George just sounds like he's reading his line and never changes tone. For such a witty character the voice really wasn't suited. I think I'll order BS III soon. I might even use walkthroughs for II just because I want to get through it. I played BS1 on GBA so I didn't have voices and I had a limited soundtrak...actually it was kinda better on the gba I find moving a tad difficult sometimes on the PC version.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1017 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:31 pm

So you havnt heard the voices on BS1? The PC version is definetly worth playing as you get voices, digital music and FMV cutscenes. Plus it has the best install procedure I've EVER seen in a game, very classy!

In other news, MGS4 looks amazing!! Snake is really old (see: here) that screenshot is an actual in-game shot running on actual PS3 hardware!

MGS4 has a release date of December 2007 in Japan  :eek  :cry

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1018 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:45 pm

I'm assuming that's big boss. You can see a bit of his eyepatch. It may also be Solidus. Snake seems unlikely even if he is aging faster then Liquid he wouldn't be that old. Then agianI don't know when it takes place. Isn't it not to long after MGS2? Also Meryl and Raiden are set to appear in that game.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1019 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I'm assuming that's big boss. You can see a bit of his eyepatch. It may also be Solidus. Snake seems unlikely even if he is aging faster then Liquid he wouldn't be that old. Then agianI don't know when it takes place. Isn't it not to long after MGS2? Also Meryl and Raiden are set to appear in that game.
Could be Big Boss, I would of thought he would have been older but as you say we dont know when its set. I think its same to assume that it is Snake though.

Its probably written somewhere on IGN who it is, I havnt seen a mention of Big Boss anywhere so I assume it is Solid.
Last edited by Angelus3K on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1020 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:55 pm

I saw a line up of the characters appearing in MGS4 and I know for a fact that Big Boss is in there. But again it could be Solidus. I doubt it's Solid though because he's holding a knife. Refer to Raiden's meeting with Snake in Arsenal Gear

Raiden: Why are you giving me this (Sword)
Solid: I'm not a big fan of blades.

Big Boss however always has his survival knife handy. Also CQC will apear in MGS4 but it will be more elaborate.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#1021 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:27 am

Bah I think it is Snake. The game is set in 2020. It even says Solid Snake all over the trailer. but I haven't gotten around to seeing the whole thing. One day I will then I'll get back to you.

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: Revolution pad and PSP info inside!!

#1022 Post by The Guy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Actually, Quest For Glory Fan, you are right in thinking that is Snake.  I was looking at Gamespot earlier and happened across this that will confirm the pic Angelus posted.
The trailer begins with a slightly baffling clip of first-person gameplay, in which an unnamed soldier patrols through a war-torn, ruined city, with futuristic helicopters soaring overhead and the muted sounds of combat ringing in the background. The soldier spies a sleek figure darting behind cover off in the distance, but upon rounding the corner, there's nobody to be seen. All the while, the letters "FPS" are appearing on the screen, forming phrases like "Finally a Policy Shift?"--perhaps indicating that Metal Gear Solid 4 is in fact a shooter. But then the camera pulls back to reveal the soldier caught in the death grip of none other than Solid Snake, who proceeds to dispatch the hapless guard with characteristic aplomb. Then we're treated to the words we've hoped to see "Not FPS - MGS!"  Then again, this might not be the Snake you were expecting. The rumors are true: Solid Snake has gone gray, and he appears to be in his declining years in Metal Gear Solid 4. After the little first-person fake-out, the trailer fully reveals Snake, still wearing his classic sneaking suit but deeply lined, grizzled, and even sporting gray hair and a rough-looking moustache. He's also got some kind of wicked-looking future eye patch.
So there you have it, you will be playing a much older version of Snake in MGS4.  Not to mention the majority of the pics shown on Gamespot show him in them.  I only took a few of the parts out of the preview article, for there is a bit more to it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1023 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:49 pm

Yea plus the "eye patch" Snake is wearing is actually the "Solid Eye" which is also a USB perphieral for use with Metal Gear Ac!d 2 on PSP!

In other news the big N have announced a standard controller add-on for the revolution remote. IGN have created a mock version of what it could look like:

Looks pretty cool!

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#1024 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:11 pm

Well, it's just an artist's impression. No one really knows what it'll look like, salthough IGN's guess probably isn't far off.

And it's not "just" announced, Iwata-san mentioned it in his keynote speech at TGS ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1025 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:14 pm

Yea thats why I said mock version.  :)